Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???) Toplef10Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???) I22gcj10Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???) Toplef10Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???) I22gcj10Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???)

+3
CindiLou
plantoid
larry
7 posters

Go down

Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???) Empty Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???)

Post  larry 9/1/2012, 2:04 pm

happy hi geek all,

My name is larry and I am about to join the retirement force in the good old state of Illinois. geek So, I thought it was time to think about what was going to take up my time when I was no longer needed to push a vacuum around a well carpeted elementary school. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

I have been wondering around the forum here for a little while and study what I could and finding out as much info so that I would be ready to start something next spring and see if this is what I would like to send time doing in my retirement years.

My wife is a minister in a town near where we live ad we just started a “row” type garden for the children of the church so they could learn about working and sharing things. We are trying to get them to share what they receive from the garden with the community and by that give them a stronger tie with the helping of others that have less than what we have.

So, with all that info …. I have thought to use SFG here at home and then introduce it to the church garden. As I get it going and working here at the house then I can introduce the children to it (knowing it will work for them because children need to be a part of things that succeed) and they will then be able to use the ground we have more wisely and the yields that they share with the community will be greater. Who knows …. Maybe we will be able to create some more SFG in this little town.

Anyway, that’s me and by reading so many posts I am beginning to know you all better. Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???) 1280598131

larry
larry

Male Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???) Empty Re: Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???)

Post  plantoid 9/1/2012, 2:38 pm

May I be one of the first to welcome you to the site .
Larry that's really brave ....looking forward to retitement ..most people I know looked at it with dread & turned their toes up a few weeks into it.
Are you retiring for reasons of age , sickness or better still shed loads of money ? Wink

I've looked for it all my life Laughing and found it 18 years ago due to injuries.
Now I have settled it all in my heart and mind I've never been so busy or so happy , it makes me wonder how I ever found time for that four letter word spelt " W .o .r . k .

What are your usual growing veg and what would you like to attempt to grow.?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???) Empty Re: Looking Forward to Retirement (maybe???)

Post  larry 9/1/2012, 3:57 pm

plantoid wrote:

Are you retiring for reasons of age , sickness or better still shed loads of money ? Wink

What are your usual growing veg and what would you like to attempt to grow.?

thanks for the warm welcome Plantoid.

My reason for retirement (a short 3 years off) is age. Been working sense I was in my early teens and think that its time to call it quits. My wife and I have been putting away for my retirement for a long time now and have most things covered but one thing I know .... is you can count on the unexpected to pop up when you least expect/want it to happen (Rooster's knee is a good example), we just cross those things when they get here.

(children) growing at the church ....we have put in beans, tomatoes, squash, pumpkins, watermelon, gourds and zucchini and because of a late start and really hot weather we had a bad turnout.

As far as my gardening Embarassed ..... it is with flowers done a few (10) years ago after my heart operation for therapy before returning to work. It was in raise beds (which are gone now but the flowers still remain) and was great fun putting them together with the wife.

I wish to move from flowers to vegs and food stuff Wink that the kids could use at the church hopefully (and would take the cost for some foods off the retirement check that the wife and I will be living on cheers ). I do lean to the unusual, rock on (you know like purple carrots and stuff like that) and have been looking at those kinds of post (along with all the rest) with real interest.

But all things are open right now because I'm still in the learning stage and waiting for SFGing book to show up for fall and winter reading.

The 2 things I think I will create 1st is a compost maker on rollers so that I could make compost (which I have NEVER done) a little easer and also set up some kind of worm set up (I sure liked Josh's set up for the garden w/PVC pipe) like the hotel that was here someplace in the forum.

Thanks again for the welcome thanks
larry
larry

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/1/2012, 4:25 pm

Have a look in showcase for my raised beds .. they should last me out as they are built in impervious red engineering bricks and are 36 inches high 36 x36 wide /long
Some of the guys & gals I know who have planned well ahead and thought about retirement reckon the garden thing has been one of their better ideas because of the levels of personal achievement and satisfaction gained.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  larry 9/1/2012, 4:36 pm

thinking ....... showcase ...... thinking

.... better ideas because of the levels of personal achievement and satisfaction gained ...... Smile Smile Smile so right on all levels !!!
larry
larry

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/1/2012, 4:52 pm

Home page
middle list gives the areas of the forums

third one down
showcase
left orange button look for date .... plantoid Wed 9 Nov - 21:42

plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  larry 9/1/2012, 5:50 pm

Sorry plantoid Sad , found the place but not the post but will have more time on Sunday eve Smile and will look again.
larry
larry

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/1/2012, 6:06 pm

Whoops Mistook Embarassed

try .. When you get to " Showcase of gardens " click lh side " show us yours " look for raised beds extra
or try to put " raised beds extra " into the site search box
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  larry 9/1/2012, 11:33 pm

Found it plantoid cheers and it was great to see what you were able to do with what you had to start with Smile . Now, I will set and drool over that post every time I go to my favourites(and if my book doesn't get here soooooon I will be drooling about 3 times a day Cool )
larry
larry

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 9/2/2012, 7:31 pm

Welcome to the forum, Larry! And a very beautiful cat in your avatar! I have two that would match and another with long hair. Poor tuxedo kitty is the standout of my crowd rofl
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 9/3/2012, 3:25 pm

larry wrote:

I wish to move from flowers to vegs and food stuff Wink that the kids could use at the church hopefully (and would take the cost for some foods off the retirement check that the wife and I will be living on cheers ).

Larry, I hope you don't let the flowers go, but rather intermix your veggies and flowers. Flowers and veggies together make a much healthier garden, especially if you have long-blooming ones that provide plenty of nectar and pollen. Flowers will feed your pollinators and help them build up their populations - which are sadly depleted in many areas, due to pesticide and monoculture.

Some of your pollinators (like soldier beetles, for example) feed on nectar and pollen as adults, but feed on pest insects during their juvenile stages. And the increasing activity of pollinator insects also draws other beneficial insects.

My garden is practically overrun by assassin bugs, mantises, ladybugs, soldier flies and beetles, lacewings, and paper wasps. This means I have little pest damage to my garden. Things that others complain about, like tomato hornworms, army worms, cabbage worms, squash bugs, cucumber beetles, grasshoppers and many others simply are not present in my garden in sufficent numbers to do significant damage.

The only pest insect that bother me are ones that can "hide" inside the plant where predators cannot capture them - like pickleworm and squash vine borer.

If you walk through the garden in the morning - and it's simply humming with bees and wasps, and you see predator insects on many of the leaves - you have a healthy garden. Flowers make the difference.

Good luck with your new venture.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  larry 9/3/2012, 7:03 pm

thanks for the nice post Pollinator Smile and I will not forget about my flower beds flower as I move into SFG (to much time and labor of love in them).

The weather hit my 4 flowerbeds ever hard this year and if they come back next year I will try to post some pictures. okay
larry
larry

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/4/2012, 9:07 am

It's going to be a long bounce winter now Larry, once you read the book you are going to be sooo excited for spring to get here! cheers
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  larry 9/4/2012, 2:53 pm

silly me you could very well be right about the length of this lots o winter cheyannarach but there will be a lot of reading, planning and supply getting drooling and asking of questions on the forum Cool and all this will depend on how soon Amazon is going to ship my book study it has been on the send list for about 4 days now affraid ..... anyway I have you all to keep me company and Josh to pick up my spirits if I get down rahrah .... and with that I will just dance till Mel's book get here boogie woogie
larry
larry

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/4/2012, 3:06 pm

That's awesome cheers Larry! Hope your book arrives soon!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  larry 9/5/2012, 12:38 pm

okay way to go happy2 Amazon just let loose of my Mel book at 5 am this morning should be here by the 10th rock on bounce hyper

soooooon I will be study ..... sorry just a little over excited I guess 🐱
larry
larry

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/5/2012, 12:49 pm

I didn't read all the posts but -- if you don't already have a compost pile, be sure to study the compost part of the book and get it started asap. It is easily explained in Mel's book and is Crucial To Your Success.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  larry 9/5/2012, 2:05 pm

llama momma wrote: -- if you don't already have a compost pile, be sure to study the compost part of the book and get it started asap.

That tip I will do ...... study ..... thanks bunches llama momma
larry
larry

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/5/2012, 2:22 pm

larry, I love your enthusiasm, you really are a glass half-full guy. Laughing

This year I did not have nearly enough compost made from last year for this year's beds so I spent some money and bought some bagged stuff from the garden centre etc. Along with the long wet spring, I have had a really disappointing return r except for stuff like chard, kale and runner beans. But I expect to do much better next year as I already have some lovely compost made that has loads of red wiggler worms in it. Sorted out the worms to make a Wiggler Hilton so I am really looking forward to next year's results.

As LM and others keep saying, it's the compost that matters most.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down