Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation Toplef10strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation I22gcj10strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation Toplef10strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation I22gcj10strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation

+21
sanderson
krisandbert
Kelejan
donnainzone5
stripesmom
R&R 1011
bnoles
Lillyz
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Triciasgarden
GWN
camprn
Gunny
CindiLou
Goosegirl
southern gardener
FamilyGardening
gregrenee88
CapeCoddess
walshevak
llama momma
25 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation Empty 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation

Post  llama momma 8/28/2012, 7:09 pm

Thought it would be kind of neat to document Mel's Mix and my first strawberry bed attempt:

April 10, 2012 tabletop of brand new strawberry starts:
A humble beginning:
strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation Strawb10

April 27, just 17 days later:
strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation Strawb11

May 1, few more days later and wow already getting flowers :
strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation Strawb12

July 18, ate some intense tasting berries! But found out that first year starts should have their flowers cut off Shocked to encourage root development and produce a large crop the following year. While waiting to get the nerve to cut, I counted a couple hundred little green berries that were indeed cut off. sobbing
This method is suppose to nearly guarantee a great crop next Spring.
This picture then shows how vigorous the plants became, kept cutting runners and still ended up with hundreds of runners everywhere. The mother plants had leaves and stems a good 8 or so inches tall. It was a jungle in there. Not good. Aphids took hold, wonder if they loved all the moisture and darkness. Fortunately organic homemade spray seemed to take care of it.
strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation Strawb13

August 28, If you've never seen a renovation, take a deep breath. Although this looks incredibly drastic, all the closed up crowns are now open, and the stems are 99% free of aphids. The instructions I've read said to cut about an inch above the crowns. I added homemade sifted compost with added worm castings around each plant. Put a burlap cover over the cage for shade to help minimize shock. Don't know if that was right to do but thought it wouldn't hurt. I am certainly disturbed over the lack of leaves.....Renovation should have been completed a few weeks ago. But yes, I'm late and counting on the souped-up compost to save the day.........yet, I've got this terrible feeling there should be more leaves left on the plants, Yes? No? Anyone? (there are very tiny leaf sprouts on the stems)
strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation Strawb14
For now the last picture is current and I want to add more as things develop. I don't know if I've done everything right or not, but I thought this experience was very interesting so far.

llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation Empty Re: 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation

Post  walshevak 8/28/2012, 8:52 pm

I hate to see what mine looks like when I get back home. Here is the picture taken the day before I left.

strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation Dscn0910

and runners were coming out all over the edges of the tabletop. Who knows what was in the middle. Cut what I had time for back. Hope I'll have time to trim up my bed and get the needed regrowth before mid Nov frost.

BTW, check that first picture. Your Today's plants don't look much different/worse than the original transplants.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation Empty Re: 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation

Post  llama momma 8/28/2012, 9:29 pm

Yours look very healthy and thick.
My frost could be mid October, sooner or later, keep my fingers crossed for both of us that our plants will have enough time and warmth to fully recover.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/29/2012, 1:11 pm

We're supposed to trim them??? More please?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 8/29/2012, 1:43 pm

The runners should be cut back during your first season of strawberry plants. They take energy away from the mother plant while it is getting established. I let some of my runners go to long without cutting them back and they were trying to plant themselves. So, I cut them off and did the transplant. I know there is a great thread on here about strawberries. Just type in "strawberries" in the search area and it will get you there. Hope this helps!

Renee Smile

gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/29/2012, 2:18 pm

LLM thank you for sharing the journey of your strawberries!!....cant wait to see how they do next year Very Happy

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/29/2012, 7:37 pm

never really tried strawberries, but we have lots of open squares. So, you plant them and leave them year after year? They grow strawberries in our area, acres of them. they don't leave them tho. They just got done with cabbage, and are now planting the strawberry plants, in other words, they don't leave them there. Are there different types of plants? These local strawberries are the BEST I've ever eaten. HUGE and super sweet. Might have to ask the farmer what the variety is. People drive for miles to come and get them Smile
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/30/2012, 2:41 pm

I'm too new at growing these to give advice to you in a completely different zone. I'm in zone 6. A nice concise overview would be a fact sheet from your extension service. It's located at a state agricultural college, should be pretty easy to google and find out.

One method in a sf garden here in zone 6, the plants can go for a couple years and replace all the plants every few years when they tire out.

Or like other people do, you can let the runners grow a bit and replant those, timing it so when the originals tire out, the new ones are ready to produce. You can try the white search box above to find other threads on strawberries. I love the concept of having them right there at my doorstep without traveling to a U-Pick farm all the while wondering how many sprays of who-knows-what was applied.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/30/2012, 2:44 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:LLM thank you for sharing the journey of your strawberries!!....cant wait to see how they do next year Very Happy

hugs
rose

Back at You Rose bear hug I am so happy to have my private backyard stash and equally grateful for the help I've received from you and others.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/30/2012, 4:02 pm

llama momma wrote: I'm too new at growing these to give advice to you in a completely different zone. I'm in zone 6. A nice concise overview would be a fact sheet from your extension service. It's located at a state agricultural college, should be pretty easy to google and find out.

One method in a sf garden here in zone 6, the plants can go for a couple years and replace all the plants every few years when they tire out.

Or like other people do, you can let the runners grow a bit and replant those, timing it so when the originals tire out, the new ones are ready to produce. You can try the white search box above to find other threads on strawberries. I love the concept of having them right there at my doorstep without traveling to a U-Pick farm all the while wondering how many sprays of who-knows-what was applied.

Amen on the sprays. I guess strawberries are one of the WORST for being sprayed and "holding" the sprays on the fruit. Yeck!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/11/2012, 6:06 pm

When I renovated the strawberries there is a picture if you scroll backwards a little bit. Here is a current photo how fast they grew back in just 2 weeks. I am hoping the roots took off as well so the plants can survive their first winter in this table top.
strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation 9-11-110
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 9/11/2012, 11:14 pm

llama momma wrote: When I renovated the strawberries there is a picture if you scroll backwards a little bit. Here is a current photo how fast they grew back in just 2 weeks. I am hoping the roots took off as well so the plants can survive their first winter in this table top.
strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation 9-11-110

They survived their Buzz Cut just fine! YAY!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/12/2012, 6:25 am

southern gardener wrote:
Amen on the sprays. I guess strawberries are one of the WORST for being sprayed and "holding" the sprays on the fruit. Yeck!!

When it comes to the worst amount of pesticides used I understand strawberries are included in that Dirty Dozen list.
Here is an article on commercial spraying of strawberries and it's pretty awful IMHO. If everything it claims is true, store bought strawberries are really bad. If you have thought of growing your own this might be the article that inspires one to build that new box or in ground strawberry patch. Or with a tabletop box, standing there you can easily pluck out disease causing weeds and spot any problems early on.
http://jayewisdom.hubpages.com/hub/Want-pesticides-with-that
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/12/2012, 11:32 am

OH yeah ick! Strawberries are the worst for poisons! If you watch the last minute or 2 of the movie 'The Future of Food', it really shows it in detail. The sprayer is protected from head to toe while dousing the plants with such a heavy spray that it flows off the plants. So gross. Then the next shot is of a little boy taking a big bite out of a gorgeous huge strawberry.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/22/2013, 3:37 pm

So here is a dreary Feb. 22nd in central Ohio. The ice storm from last night just melted. Nice to see the bed is filled with green leaves underneath pine straw. Instead of the plants reaching 6-8 inches tall like in the summer, here is one of the plants hugging the soil so close, and maybe an inch tall at best. Tough little plants.
strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation Sleepi10
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 2/22/2013, 5:17 pm

llama momma wrote:So here is a dreary Feb. 22nd in central Ohio. The ice storm from last night just melted. Nice to see the bed is filled with green leaves underneath pine straw. Instead of the plants reaching 6-8 inches tall like in the summer, here is one of the plants hugging the soil so close, and maybe an inch tall at best. Tough little plants.
strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation Sleepi10

When did you come to my house to take a pic of my strawberry bed???...LOL Mine looks just like yours with the pine needles. We had some sleet earlier today so things are just a bit slick here and there.

Pretty cool to have another Ohioan on here. I am one at heart since I lived east of Cleveland all my life until I joined the US Navy. All of my family still lives there.
Renee cheers
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/22/2013, 5:36 pm

Well....I snuck over there early this morning Laughing
After many years I still consider myself a NY'er first. Talk about strong roots. 33 yrs ago became a Ohioan originally from Long Island. I got through the culture shock of no more ocean, people talking with a mild twang, square pizza and such. But it was so easy to embrace the real estate prices here, plus no "real" traffic jams, and wonderful dark skies for star gazing and meteor showers. I go back sometimes but I don't miss it. Too crowded and way overpriced.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 2/23/2013, 10:44 pm

Cool
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 2/23/2013, 11:33 pm

Really? Your supposed to do all that? rofl I never do. I will as the year goes by let the kids root and will once in a while take out a momma..other than that..nope. I clear off debris in the spring, cover with tulle. And eat strawberries lol.. thinking
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/24/2013, 6:47 am

funny post
you are killing me CL!
Lol - this is what I get for reading
study and trying to go by the book.
:read the rules
so if all the information works out I expect quite a load from the first harvest this June. drooling And extras to freeze and dehydrate too.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 2/24/2013, 1:00 pm

Here's a question for you all, how long does it take for strawberry root stock to take off and start greening up?
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/24/2013, 1:01 pm

A few weeks in my area.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

strawberries renovation - 2012 pictures of Birth of new strawberry bed through 1st renovation WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/24/2013, 1:02 pm

Just go to page one of this thread and check out the dates on the photos. The baby starts greened up very fast, thanks to Mel's Mix.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 2/24/2013, 1:10 pm

LL, yours had leaves on them. Mine didn't come that way, just roots. That's why I was asking.
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/24/2013, 1:22 pm

I had to go back and look at my notes.
I received the roots March 24th almost 2-1/2 weeks before that first picture was taken. They were sad looking and I put them in the cool garage heeled in Mel's mix. Three days later they greened up and were looking lively, that's all I have in my notes about that. Hope this helps!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next