Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time Toplef10Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time I22gcj10Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time Toplef10Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time I22gcj10Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time

+2
RoOsTeR
elliephant
6 posters

Go down

Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time Empty Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time

Post  elliephant Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:56 pm

So, I know this is a "problem" most of you can't relate to, but my pepper plants have been getting overgrown and top heavy and I still have at least 4-5 months before a freeze (didn't get one at all last year). This is the first year my peppers have come through the summer in good shape, so instead of planting fall peppers I'm just pruning back my spring peppers and letting them grow back nice and bushy rather than the lanky trees I've got going on right now.
Here's a pic of my kids helping pick the peppers off the branches I pruned this morning.
Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time Img_3412
Don't think I'll let them help with the spicy ones tomorrow. Evil or Very Mad
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time Empty Re: Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time

Post  RoOsTeR Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:24 pm

Uh am I the only jealous one? I can't get my peppers to grow worth beans and you're cutting yours back! Lol. Love the picture and the kids look like they're having fun picking all the peppers.

Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time Empty Re: Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time

Post  camprn Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Ellie, how tall did the plants get? What height are you cutting them down to? Great shot of the kiddos!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:47 pm

They're probably about 4 feet tall. Most of the branches I've been cutting off are about 2-3 feet long. I'm cutting them back to about 18 inches or so. The first one I did I cut all the way back to a single 12 inch stick with not a single leaf. Here it is today.
Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time Img_3413

Here's the one (Anaheim) I'm going to do tomorrow...didn't even get the whole thing in the picture, but you get the idea. All that is one plant.
Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time Img_3414
elliephant

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Not the only jealous one, Rooster.

Out of 6 bell pepper plants, this is what I have:
Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time Aug_2410

They are the size of a golf ball.

My 6 jalapenos have produced 2 usable but small fruits so far.

So I have no idea how to prune them. May I have the problem next year. Rolling Eyes

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Peppers are perennials and will keep growing if not hit by a frost. Here is one we kept last year in a pop up greenhouse with Christmas lights. Trimmed it up a bit this year and have had over 300 peppers from it so far.

Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time 7-15-110

I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to cut my pepper plant down as much as you did, so I hope it goes well.
Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:35 am

walshevak wrote:snip

I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to cut my pepper plant down as much as you did, so I hope it goes well.
Kay

Well, one of the reasons I was "brave" about it was that one year I brought a couple of potted peppers inside during our week of winter and it dropped all its leaves, but came back to life when I brought it back outside.
elliephant

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:59 am

They're probably about 4 feet tall. Most of the branches I've been cutting off are about 2-3 feet long. I'm cutting them back to about 18 inches or so.

Lol, the branches you're cutting off are larger than my plants Razz Sadly, most of my pepper plants are JUST starting to look good and I doubt at this point they'll have enough time to do much Sad

Kay, I never get tired of seeing your sons pepper plants. Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time 3170584802

Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:01 am

RoOsTeR wrote:
They're probably about 4 feet tall. Most of the branches I've been cutting off are about 2-3 feet long. I'm cutting them back to about 18 inches or so.

Lol, the branches you're cutting off are larger than my plants Razz Sadly, most of my pepper plants are JUST starting to look good and I doubt at this point they'll have enough time to do much Sad

Kay, I never get tired of seeing your sons pepper plants. Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time 3170584802
are they somewhere you could place a hoop over them? If they are that small, maybe dig'em up and bring 'em in when fall comes on.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:32 pm

walshevak wrote:Peppers are perennials and will keep growing if not hit by a frost.  Here is one we kept last year in a pop up greenhouse with Christmas lights.  Trimmed it up a bit this year and have had over 300 peppers from it so far.

Pruning and harvesting peppers at the same time 7-15-110

Kay
WOW! I had no idea. One of our sweet pepper plants made it through the snow and hard frost and is now producing another pepper. It's in a container, so I think we should bring it in, tomorrow and have peppers all winter. happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down