Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie Topic:  Introduction to Canning - Page 3 Toplef10Friday Rookie Topic:  Introduction to Canning - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie Topic:  Introduction to Canning - Page 3 I22gcj10Friday Rookie Topic:  Introduction to Canning - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie Topic:  Introduction to Canning - Page 3 Toplef10Friday Rookie Topic:  Introduction to Canning - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie Topic:  Introduction to Canning - Page 3 I22gcj10Friday Rookie Topic:  Introduction to Canning - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Friday Rookie Topic: Introduction to Canning

+11
thegreatcob
yolos
GWN
ericam
Cincinnati
cheyannarach
memart1
RoOsTeR
jillintx
camprn
rowena___.
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Friday Rookie Topic:  Introduction to Canning - Page 3 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Introduction to Canning

Post  plantoid 9/8/2012, 4:47 pm

My take on it is that a bog standard pressure cooker has no pressure guage so the only way you know it is up to pressure is when it is slowly hissing or lifting an indicator , the temperature inside could vary tremendously .

The canners have a pressure guage & adjustable weight positions so you can compensate for altitude and most seem to have a rocking pressure sensing device that clicks in and out , if you are careful you can reduce heat so it clicks every six or more seconds .

I have two old fashioned Prestige Hi- Dome rise and fall pressure cookers .. they leak at the lid and valve seals despite getting new manufactures seals every six months. You cannot be 100 % sure of the pressure which in turn will affect the temperature .
I can pressure cook at 5 , 10 or 15 psi as I have three seperate weights per pan. The rising weight indicator on my pans is only an indicator of an internal pressure above 5 psi , but not how much so it can be easy to over cook and boil the vessels dry over a long sterilization time or should the seals & the seal of the rise and fall indicator weight shaft not be upto scratch you may undercook / not sterilize sufficiently and end up with botulism in your pressure canned goods .

The makers of my brand of pressure cooker especially warn against trying to use it as a pressure / sterilizing canner .
I suspect that what you have is quite good for pressure canning but having recently seen one of the All American Canners that has been in daily use for donkeys years in a commercial kitchen I know I will go for that as there is nothing that needs renewing save for putting a decent quality industrial pressure guage on it once in a blue moon .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic:  Introduction to Canning - Page 3 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Introduction to Canning

Post  FamilyGardening 9/9/2012, 2:20 am

the new presto canner and the used one my mom got for us only have a weight thing on them....5 10 15.....they dont have a pressure guage......does this mean my canning may not be as safe as if i used a pressure canner that has the pressure gauge on it?

we have not used them yet....

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 9/9/2012, 9:11 am

I got the one with a gage, but since I bought it, most folks tell me I should have got the one with weights, go figure. Mine works fine. I think they will work fine. I was fearful of 'hearing' when pressure was reached, I was just fearful all the way around. I think some folks with canning experience should jump in here!
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 9/9/2012, 2:02 pm

the weights are more accurate. the gauge has to be calibrated every 12 months or so. my presto canner came with a dial gauge but i totally ignore that. instead i purchased the adjustable weights. i use them to do that actual pressuring. the dial serves as a plug. Smile
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 9/9/2012, 3:17 pm

Rowena, I have a presto 23 qt canner with a dial guage. Can I buy the weights for it. Where to buy, and where do I put the weights if I get them? Is there a book that would point this out? ex: canning for dummies? I'm so new at this and all that came with the canner is a small, very small booklet, which tells me nothing!
Thanks, Jo Ann
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 9/9/2012, 3:32 pm

Ace/True value has weights and replacement parts for the presto line. They also have a great selection of jars and canning accessories. When I was there recently they had a weight pack containing 5,10,15 weights.

Friday Rookie Topic:  Introduction to Canning - Page 3 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 9/9/2012, 4:19 pm

littlejo wrote:Rowena, I have a presto 23 qt canner with a dial guage. Can I buy the weights for it. Where to buy, and where do I put the weights if I get them? Is there a book that would point this out? ex: canning for dummies? I'm so new at this and all that came with the canner is a small, very small booklet, which tells me nothing!
Thanks, Jo Ann

the weight that came with your canner is probably this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Presto-Pressure-Cooker-Canner-Regulator/dp/B0014IGAPG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1347221579&sr=8-3&keywords=presto+pressure+cooker+weight
it is not adjustable.

the weight you want is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Presto-Pressure-Canner-Regulator/dp/B000HMBVQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347221579&sr=8-1&keywords=presto+pressure+cooker+weight
to get 5lbs. pressure you remove both rings and use the stem alone. to get 10lbs, you add one ring. to get 15 lbs you add both rings. you use this weight set instead of the one that came with the canner.

generally when you use these weights, if the dial is accurate it will register one pound higher than the weights--this is correct--it is to allow for a few differences in measuring systems.

the book that came with your canner is an operators manual only. the books you want are either/both of the ball canning books, which tell you not only how to operate your canner but also how to process specific foods. i recommend either the blue book or the complete book. use the most recent editions, as they have the most up-to-date methodology for safe home canning. there are other good canning books but these are consider the bibles of home food preservation.

ball blue book:
http://www.amazon.com/Jarden-Home-Brands-21400-Ball/dp/B001DIXG9A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1347221860&sr=8-3&keywords=ball+blue+book

ball complete book:
http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1347221860&sr=8-6&keywords=ball+blue+book
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 9/9/2012, 9:36 pm

you guys are awesome!!

thank you so much for all the info everyone has provided!.....our new Presto canner is still in its box Embarassed but....we have plans to use it soon....not enough veggies from the garden....we tend to eat those or freeze them since we get small batches at a time...but...i want to make meals in a jar....like soups, stews, meat sauce....things like that....i want to be able to can meat too as it goes on sale instead of taking up freezer space for it....

the used canner my momma bought for us is a mirro....i found a youtube video on a mirro canner and it seems its a bit different then the presto or the All American one....i have wrote to the company to see if i can get the instruction book for it.....

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/9/2012, 9:53 pm

Rowena, what do you think of the Fagor 10 quart pressure cooker/canner? I think it has neither gauge nor weights, but another type of indicator. I was give this model tonight and will look at it in more depth tomorrow.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Friday Rookie Topic:  Introduction to Canning - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3