Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Square foot gardening on a roof top Toplef10Square foot gardening on a roof top 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Square foot gardening on a roof top I22gcj10Square foot gardening on a roof top 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Square foot gardening on a roof top Toplef10Square foot gardening on a roof top 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Square foot gardening on a roof top I22gcj10Square foot gardening on a roof top 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Square foot gardening on a roof top

+6
littlesapphire
walshevak
Goosegirl
cheyannarach
plantoid
Elrohir69
10 posters

Go down

Square foot gardening on a roof top Empty Square foot gardening on a roof top

Post  Elrohir69 8/8/2012, 5:07 pm

Hello,

I'm a total newbie in gardening. I used to live in a small apartment in the downtown of a big city, Madrid. Now I've moved to a semi-detached house in a small town near Madrid and that house has a Green Roof, so I decided to grow my own food on my rooftop.

When I introduced myself in the "welcome mat" section I recieved a nice welcome but many people asked me to show some pictures of my green roof and my SFG. As I'm just starting I have just one bed with some seeds but no plants on my rooftop and another one in the front yard, but I have planned to cover my roof with raise beds. Here you have those pictures:

Square foot gardening on a roof top Img_0013

That's my neighbour's green roof, same as my one.

Square foot gardening on a roof top Img_0014

And that's my first raise bed, I have storaged some old palets to build a compost bin (I've alredy made one with a water container of 200 lt.) and some lumber recovered from construction sites to build more beds.

Square foot gardening on a roof top Cubier10

And this is my plan for the future, the green grids are the raise beds, the orange area is the staire case, the grey are the roof tiles and the brown color is the existing "green roof" that is covered with some kind of moss, now it's dry but it will turn to a soft and green moss in winter:

I hope I will reach the goal Very Happy
Elrohir69
Elrohir69

Male Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Square foot gardening on a roof top Empty Re: Square foot gardening on a roof top

Post  plantoid 8/8/2012, 5:24 pm

That looks a briliant way to go .

How deep is the covering of the green roof ?
Is it absorbent stones or sand that should grow mosses and grasses naturally or are you expected to decide what you want to do with the roof and go ahead so long as it is not too much weight?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Square foot gardening on a roof top Empty Re: Square foot gardening on a roof top

Post  Elrohir69 8/8/2012, 6:11 pm

plantoid wrote:
How deep is the covering of the green roof ?
Is it absorbent stones or sand that should grow mosses and grasses naturally or are you expected to decide what you want to do with the roof and go ahead so long as it is not too much weight?

Over the waterproof sheet we have a layer of draining tiles named "losa filtron" in spanish, just like this one http://www.impersegre.com/es/index.php?id=servicios&var=n
that's 6-7 cm over that we have another layer made of the same tiles in the grey areas and sand with moss in the rest of the roof, same deep. Originally it has planted moss and some other plants, but the house has been unused since it was build for a period of 5 years, so the moss and the other plants are ruined, I'm trying to recover the moss or maybe I will grow lawn. I'm placing the beds over the first layer of draining tiles and I'll have moss on both sides of the beds so you can work comfortably kneeled down over the moss.

The draining tiles are made of two layers, one hard for the top that is made of celular concrete and the bottom layer made of polystyrene. They are very light but they weigh much more than the Mel's Mix, so weight will not be a problem for the structure, at all. All I have to do is using root-barrier sheet below the Mel's mix to avoid roots damage the waterproof sheet.
Elrohir69
Elrohir69

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/8/2012, 7:14 pm

Wow, I have never een anything like it! This is such a fantastic way to garden it looks like! Have fun what a great design!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/8/2012, 7:22 pm

What a great gardening adventure! Can't wait to see some green up there!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/8/2012, 8:07 pm

Is your neighbor interested in growing on his roof as well? Maybe you can offer to lend him your book and encourage a full roof of greenery. Are you planning any pots of trees or other shading plants like maybe grape vines? And a seating area to just chill out and watch the plants grow while having a glass of good Spanish wine. I can't wait to see what all you eventually manage.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/9/2012, 9:32 am

Wow, that's so cool! I didn't know they had such buildings, where you could grow a lawn on the roof Smile Almost makes me want to move to a big city!

Actually, this reminds me of a story that's probably not at all related, but maybe it'll make someone laugh. My husband has an old family friend who used to live in a lower apartment. One day she noticed the ceiling was leaking brown liquid. She called the landlord and they both went upstairs to see what on earth was leaking into her apartment. Turns out the people upstairs had hauled in topsoil and were growing a lawn on the floor!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/9/2012, 11:49 am

littlesapphire wrote:Wow, that's so cool! I didn't know they had such buildings, where you could grow a lawn on the roof Smile Almost makes me want to move to a big city!

Actually, this reminds me of a story that's probably not at all related, but maybe it'll make someone laugh. My husband has an old family friend who used to live in a lower apartment. One day she noticed the ceiling was leaking brown liquid. She called the landlord and they both went upstairs to see what on earth was leaking into her apartment. Turns out the people upstairs had hauled in topsoil and were growing a lawn on the floor!

OMgosh! I'd be furious if I were the landlord! What were they thinking?? LOL. thanks for the laugh
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 8/9/2012, 5:32 pm

Very nice! You have about 70 square meters of usable (~750 sf).

On thought you may wish to consider, keep a comfortable sitting area by the stairs with a nice table and chairs positioning walking paths through the raised beds and leaving a narrower path (2 foot) along the outer edge for viewing. You should be able to do a nice low-water plant that's walkable like baby's tears or another. A good resource is http://www.stepables.com/

Will you have ability to set up an irrigation system? Do you have a faucet you'll be able to step up a timer on?

I noticed the other building all appear to be multistory. Is the rooftop garden only available to the top floor tenant?

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 8/18/2012, 3:20 pm

Wow, is the entire rooftop yours to garden?

Good luck with your rooftop garden transformation!
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  Elrohir69 8/18/2012, 4:37 pm

My plan is having 15 equivalent 4x4 sq beds on the roof.
Elrohir69
Elrohir69

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 8/18/2012, 8:30 pm

That is so cool!

Can't what to see what you grow up there.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/19/2012, 8:21 pm

Eveytime I see houses with flat roofs now I imagine how many sfg beds could I get up there. Especially if there is very little yard area.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down