Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... Toplef10Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... I22gcj10Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... Toplef10Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... I22gcj10Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 10:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now...

5 posters

Go down

Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... Empty Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now...

Post  cpl100 7/24/2012, 11:54 am

Here are pictures of my lettuce starts (4) and (1) broccoli (on the back right).

I am certain I read somewhere that you transplant after the first true leaves which are not the same as the first two leaves. I don't see more sets of leaves coming but they are so leggy. Do I transplant them now?

Also, when I transplant them in the their space or pot as the case may be, do I transplant at the same height or lower to reduce the legginess?

Glad I started some lettuce inside. I was afraid it would not germinate outside due to the heat (which I read may hinder it) and there isn't any coming outside yet. Planted the outside ones first, too.

Thanks!

Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... Lettuc10

Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... Lettuc11

cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... Empty Re: Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now...

Post  cpl100 7/25/2012, 11:18 am

Does anyone know the answers please?
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... Empty Re: Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now...

Post  chjbr63 7/25/2012, 11:47 am

My first year trying broccoli and my spring batch was a failure. But I read it somewhere on the forum to pot up and bury the leggy stem. It did seem to work but the spring weather and worms did them in. Got tired of waiting and need the buckets for my tomato's so I pulled them. I am trying again for fall crop this week but I'm starting them outside.
chjbr63
chjbr63

Male Posts : 106

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/25/2012, 1:37 pm

Last spring some of my lettuce starts were bigger than what your photos show & some were the same. They all transplanted well. I planted them at the same height that they were in the pot. Some fell over but straightened up as they go bigger, which was a nice surprise. I like the idea of planting them a little deeper and will do that next time.

I've been planting lettuce seeds in the garden, tucking them under bush beans and behind vines, and most seem to be sprouting even with the heat. THe ones directly out in the sun didn't sprout.

Sorry, I don't know anything about broccoli. Wish I did, but I can't find seeds in my area.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/25/2012, 1:58 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Last spring some of my lettuce starts were bigger than what your photos show & some were the same. They all transplanted well. I planted them at the same height that they were in the pot. Some fell over but straightened up as they go bigger, which was a nice surprise. I like the idea of planting them a little deeper and will do that next time.

I've been planting lettuce seeds in the garden, tucking them under bush beans and behind vines, and most seem to be sprouting even with the heat. THe ones directly out in the sun didn't sprout.

Sorry, I don't know anything about broccoli. Wish I did, but I can't find seeds in my area.

CC

I sent you a pm regarding broccoli seeds. Regarding your lettuce: Do you then move them from under all those other plants? I am thinking you just plant the seeds near the other plants so there is shade for germination but I could be wrong.

Do mine look like I should transplant now or wait a bit?

Thanks for the help.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/25/2012, 2:19 pm

I'm so new to all this so it's hard to say. How about you plant some of the lettuces out now and leave some inside and see how it works out?

I did plant under other things for shade, with no plans for them. I kind of let things tell me what they want as I go along. But the romaine grew so fast under the beans that it's about ready to harvest now.

Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... July_210
You can see one romaine in the front white box in amongst the beans. And there are lettuces from spring planting in the black box on the left and elsewhere in the garden, that I took the middles out of when they started to bolt, to try to keep them going thru the summer. It didn't work with all my lettuces so I had to harvest the whole plant, but with some it worked. So I'm still harvesting spring lettuces hoping they will last til my newly planted outdoor ones grow. The box on the front right (a drawer actually) had many seeds put in but only one grew in straight sun, so now I've put plastic over it and replanted more lettuce seeds the other day. They have sprouted.

It's pretty much hit or miss in the summer I guess. That's my experience anyway.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/25/2012, 6:27 pm

I just went back and looked at some lettuce I planted outside but in a shady area in late May. Month old lettuce was bigger than what you have. I can tell for sure your plants are not getting enough light. But I don't know if they would survive being transplanted outside at this stage. They at least need to be hardened off. I suggest you put the pots outside in a early morning sun only protected area for a week and see what happens. If they improved then plant them in protected areas shaded from the hot midday and afternoon sun.

nursery starts and direct sowed seed planted 5/29. Pic taken 6/24
Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... Dscn0935
All is eaten now and the sowed didn't provide much. Temps settled into the high 90* to triple digits and the lettuce couldn't take it.

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/25/2012, 8:55 pm

walshevak wrote:I just went back and looked at some lettuce I planted outside but in a shady area in late May. Month old lettuce was bigger than what you have. I can tell for sure your plants are not getting enough light. But I don't know if they would survive being transplanted outside at this stage. They at least need to be hardened off. I suggest you put the pots outside in a early morning sun only protected area for a week and see what happens. If they improved then plant them in protected areas shaded from the hot midday and afternoon sun.

nursery starts and direct sowed seed planted 5/29. Pic taken 6/24
Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... Dscn0935
All is eaten now and the sowed didn't provide much. Temps settled into the high 90* to triple digits and the lettuce couldn't take it.

Thank you for your advice. There is no place in my yard that gets early morning sunlight unfortunately. My yard is ringed with shade trees on both the south and east sides. When the sun is overhead, we get some sunlight but not really earlier than that.

Do you have another suggestion?

BTW, is that what you grew your lettuce in for the entire time?
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/26/2012, 3:44 am

No, that is a cement mixing tub my son bought just for summer lettuce so he could move it around for the right levels of shade and sun.

Here is picture taken at my house of lettuce planted about the same time in the dappled shade of a river birch tree. As you can see, it was getting some light midday sunshine at the edge of the tree line.

Started lettuce and broccoli in the house, now... Dscn1010
This picture was taken on July 7. I don't know what is happening to the plants now as I had to leave for 2 months. I was just starting to eat the thinnings. There are some basil plants at the corners.

Set the plants under the edge of the tree line and see if you can get enough shade to not fry them and enough sun so they pick up and grow.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 7/26/2012, 8:44 am

I agree that you should try putting your plants outside for a while, just a little at first and then increase the time they spend out there. Otherwise, you could put them under grow lights. Ive had really leggy lettuce like that in the past, and unfortunately it always died when I tried to transplant it outside. The leggings is from inadequate sunlight, I'm pretty sure.

But yeah, right now I think the plants are too young to transplant. Give them another week, preferably with lots of sunlight, and then if they have their true leaves and are looking stockier, it might be ok.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down