Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
pet bunny using newspaper litter question??? Toplef10pet bunny using newspaper litter question??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

pet bunny using newspaper litter question??? I22gcj10pet bunny using newspaper litter question??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
pet bunny using newspaper litter question??? Toplef10pet bunny using newspaper litter question??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

pet bunny using newspaper litter question??? I22gcj10pet bunny using newspaper litter question??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

pet bunny using newspaper litter question???

+4
Triciasgarden
Kelejan
crs
cobra_archer
8 posters

Go down

pet bunny using newspaper litter question??? Empty pet bunny using newspaper litter question???

Post  cobra_archer 7/13/2012, 8:05 pm

Hello,

My family has a new pet bunny. He is an in house bunny that uses a litter box. We are using recycled newspaper pellets as litter. My question is, can I just dump the bunny poo, litter and all in the compost bin, then use it as compost for the SFG?

thank you,
Mark
cobra_archer

Back to top Go down

pet bunny using newspaper litter question??? Empty Re: pet bunny using newspaper litter question???

Post  crs 7/13/2012, 9:08 pm

Welcome to the forum! glad you\'re here

I am new to SFG but I would say that would be a very good idea! rock on
Hopefully someone who has composted longer than I will back me up or we both will learn something new. study
crs
crs

Back to top Go down

pet bunny using newspaper litter question??? Empty Re: pet bunny using newspaper litter question???

Post  Kelejan 7/13/2012, 9:19 pm

glad you\'re here Mark.
Bunny poo is great, as is newspaper. Browse through our recent threads about composting and you will learn a lot.
Tell us more about how far you have progressed, or if you are a complete Newbie.
We were all Newbies once, and many of us love to show you what we have learned and to help and encourage you. happy hi
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/13/2012, 9:21 pm

Welcome Mark! I agree with crs! I just read that you can put rabbit poo directly in your garden but I would think that since it also has the newspaper, you should put them in your compost. Newspaper and rabbit poo are great for a compost, so is the pee that collects in the litter! Yay rabbit poo! lol!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

pet bunny using newspaper litter question??? Empty thanks for the info.

Post  cobra_archer 7/14/2012, 5:53 am

Thank you again. Mostly I am a newbie, been SFG for about 5 years. I brand new to composting. I do not have a tumbler, looking for plans to make a DIY device.
cobra_archer

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/14/2012, 6:45 am

You have a perfect little garden fertilizer machine there! Bunny poo, newspaper pellets, and pee! Pee is a great compost activator, so along with the poo and newspaper pellets, you have some great compost additives. In our house, we use all natural litter for our cat box, so when we change out the box we put the urine-soaked litter into the compost tumbler.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/14/2012, 9:42 am

Goosegirl wrote:You have a perfect little garden fertilizer machine there! Bunny poo, newspaper pellets, and pee! Pee is a great compost activator, so along with the poo and newspaper pellets, you have some great compost additives. In our house, we use all natural litter for our cat box, so when we change out the box we put the urine-soaked litter into the compost tumbler.

GG

I thought there are dangerous-to-humans organisms in cat urine/feces. Isn't that why we are told to be sure our children's sandboxes are covered?
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/14/2012, 2:20 pm

I guess you can't edit your post after a while. Anyway, I did find this link regarding house pet waste:

Don't Do It
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/14/2012, 2:28 pm

Mark scroll down this thread and check out how Rooster made his compost tumbler!

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t11216p60-some-women

I wouldn't recommend using cat/dog poo in compost. You can get toxoplasmosis from cat feces which in a normal healthy adult can go unnoticed but in someone with a compromised immune/pregnant person can be very very bad.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/14/2012, 4:00 pm

cpl I think you can edit your post until someone posts after you.

Tricia
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/14/2012, 4:54 pm

I wonder why my edit button didn't show then. That's okay. Weird things always happen to me!
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/14/2012, 6:57 pm

cpl100 wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:You have a perfect little garden fertilizer machine there! Bunny poo, newspaper pellets, and pee! Pee is a great compost activator, so along with the poo and newspaper pellets, you have some great compost additives. In our house, we use all natural litter for our cat box, so when we change out the box we put the urine-soaked litter into the compost tumbler.

GG

I thought there are dangerous-to-humans organisms in cat urine/feces. Isn't that why we are told to be sure our children's sandboxes are covered?

The main concern with cats is toxoplasmosis and the cat has to be infected with the parasite - ours aren't and are 100% indoor, never come in contact with other cats, fecal matter from other animals, never eat rodents or raw/undercooked meat of any kind. Also, the toxo cysts in the cat feces (which we do NOT include in the compost) do not mature and become an issue for a few days after excretion, and OCD Hubby cleans the litterbox every morning on a schedule -NOTHING sits for 24 hours! Kitty poo gets bagged, tied, basically hermetically sealed and sent to the land fill. The corn litter/urine mix gets split between the composter and being sprinkled around the boxes to repel rabbits (works very well).

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 7/14/2012, 7:15 pm

I compost my guinea pig's dirty bedding and a friend from work just started bringing me his bunny's litter too. I'm assuming you're using something like Yesterday's News, which is totally fine. You can also compost CareFresh or Soft-sorb (though I think Soft-sorb takes slightly longer to break down). I have a trash can outside that's composting about 50% my guinea pig's bedding, about 40% used coffee grounds from Starbucks, and the rest is misc kitchen waste and it is AMAZING. It's already pretty fine and the coffee grounds made it smell really good while it was cooking. Very Happy
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum