Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Unbelievably angry...grrrr Toplef10Unbelievably angry...grrrr 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Unbelievably angry...grrrr I22gcj10Unbelievably angry...grrrr 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Unbelievably angry...grrrr Toplef10Unbelievably angry...grrrr 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Unbelievably angry...grrrr I22gcj10Unbelievably angry...grrrr 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Unbelievably angry...grrrr

+5
littlejo
J_in_HamiltonON
Triciasgarden
camprn
landarch
9 posters

Go down

Unbelievably angry...grrrr Empty Unbelievably angry...grrrr

Post  landarch 7/3/2012, 8:12 pm

My original post was removed for un-family-friendly laguage...apologies and I hope this one sticks.

My SFG is in the front yard and is really close to the street...I had concerns about people taking ripe tomatoes, however we have invited those on our street to stop, visit, and take what they like...just got out of the garden and someone has taken an entire tomato plant...it was loaded with green tomatoes. Hopefully it was someone wanting a transplant (5' tall)...must have wanted it badly because it was woven into my cattle panel trellis. Hope it wasn's some punk vandal that will be back again in the wee hour...may have to file a police report. GRRRRRR.

Last edited by landarch on 7/3/2012, 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Unbelievably angry...grrrr Empty Re: Unbelievably angry...grrrr

Post  camprn 7/3/2012, 8:17 pm

Oh DEAR! Sad oh dear...it only takes one person to ruin the honor system... this bring to mind the old adage: Fences make good neighbors.

I'm sorry for your loss.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Unbelievably angry...grrrr WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 7/3/2012, 8:21 pm

...found a trail of green tomatoes through the lawn to the street corner...no vine. I have to let it go.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/3/2012, 8:37 pm

Oh that is just mean! All your hard work and being so neighborly! I would file a police report and then let your neighbors know what happened. Maybe someone will have info what happened and/or keep their eyes open! So sorry for you!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  J_in_HamiltonON 7/3/2012, 8:58 pm

This year I built a new garden on the side of the property (we have a corner lot) - about 3 feet from the sidewalk. The neighbors were quite curious, and the common question everyone asked was "are you worried people will just help themselves to the vegetables"? One neighbor warned me that whole plants would go missing, since they had flowers stolen from the front of their yard last year. I had always intended to put up a fence, but have been too busy. My wife thinks that people will only take stuff if they need it. I know better. Guess I better get that fence put up. Sorry for your loss.
J_in_HamiltonON
J_in_HamiltonON

Male Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/3/2012, 9:15 pm

Sorry for your loss.

In the last 40 yrs. it's gone from sleeping with the door open in the heat of the summer to wondering if putting an electric fence around garden will keep the neigbors out.

What happened to The Golden Rule?

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/3/2012, 11:27 pm

Crazy stuff. Could be summer vacation vandalism. Years ago and several towns over the police operated night time surveillance through yards searching for vandals continually pulling up all sorts of plants and torching flags on homes.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  JeanneRamick 7/3/2012, 11:28 pm

What a malicious act of violence! Sorry for your loss ... and that sense of betrayal that you're probably feeling, too.

My SFG is on the patio of my condo. I made it 3x4 so that it wouldn't be too close to the lawn side. Today the Grounds Crew mowed, weed-wacked, then used the leaf-blowers as usual.

When I checked my garden this evening, HALF of both my green bean plants had their leaves/stems off; cut in perfectly straight lines (as opposed to 'chewed' off looking)

I'm sure it was those boys with the weed-wackers. I also think it wasn't deliberate (unlike what happened to you). But the carelessness still makes me furious. Those plants were LOADED with blossoms.
JeanneRamick
JeanneRamick

Female Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 7/3/2012, 11:39 pm

thanks for all the responses...I was able to transplant a Better Boy tomato into the empty square that was getting a bit too much shade from my cucumbers...hopefully it grows quickly in the new spot.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/4/2012, 12:44 am

Oh good for you landarch, get right back in there!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 7/4/2012, 4:07 am

You have my sympathy, I have lost produce from the garden before but never an entire plant.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/4/2012, 4:45 am

landarch wrote:My original post was removed for un-family-friendly laguage...apologies and I hope this one sticks.

My SFG is in the front yard and is really close to the street...I had concerns about people taking ripe tomatoes, however we have invited those on our street to stop, visit, and take what they like...just got out of the garden and someone has taken an entire tomato plant...it was loaded with green tomatoes. Hopefully it was someone wanting a transplant (5' tall)...must have wanted it badly because it was woven into my cattle panel trellis. Hope it wasn's some punk vandal that will be back again in the wee hour...may have to file a police report. GRRRRRR.

Look on the funny side ... it's easier on the mind and body .. You did actually invite people to , " Take what they like ".

Perhaps a nice notice stating that crops in this gaarden are treated with a biohazard product that will need to be removed before eating the crop. Might deter them if they bother to read it. Home cctv can also be useful even if it is dummy cameras and just a warning sign.

Years ago when living in Germany , just before Christmas some nice person came into our yard and used cutters to cut out the front of my daughters rabbit cage and took our 10 pound english giant rabbit . I was enraged for weeks and with Paula produced in German a four foot by two foot sign with red writing , congratulating the thief on their meanness of stealing our two year old pet and asked for divine intervention so that they choked when they ate it.... .Well it made me feel better

, on Christmas eve we got visitors just before midnight . an nold couple with a tiny box just a bit bigger than a larde childs shoe box all nicely wrapped with a ribbon finish .

Puzzled we invited them in , they said it was a present for Paula and that it was traditional for children in Germany to get their presents just before midnight christmas eve .

Inside was the most cute black minature Netherland dwarf rabbit I have ever seen , Paula was not the only one who had tears in their eyes I can tell you.

It's maximum size turned out to be less than one pound , he lived in a pen in the cellar and got walks on a leash in the garden .

The looks I got when reporting the theft to the military police and the civil police were a picture to behold , I don't know how they managed to keep straight faces when I reported the, " Rabbitnapping." .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down