Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Romanesco Broccoli Toplef10Growing Romanesco Broccoli 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Romanesco Broccoli I22gcj10Growing Romanesco Broccoli 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing Romanesco Broccoli Toplef10Growing Romanesco Broccoli 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing Romanesco Broccoli I22gcj10Growing Romanesco Broccoli 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Growing Romanesco Broccoli

+6
BeetlesPerSqFt
Robbomb116
Scorpio Rising
CindiLou
llama momma
Squat_Johnson
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Growing Romanesco Broccoli Empty Growing Romanesco Broccoli

Post  Squat_Johnson 6/19/2012, 1:17 pm

I always try to grow a couple of new veggies. One from this year is romanesco broccoli. I had 6 plants, and I ate or froze the largest three heads. This is what they look like as a solid head.
Growing Romanesco Broccoli Brocof10

I am letting the other three go to seed. They are quite an interesting plant. This is the same head after about 3 weeks. They have undergone quite a transformation.
Growing Romanesco Broccoli Dsc04415
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Growing Romanesco Broccoli Empty Re: Growing Romanesco Broccoli

Post  llama momma 6/19/2012, 1:22 pm

I've got Romanesco seeds I'm getting ready to prepare for fall planting. Since the head looks so different, was the taste different too?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 6/19/2012, 1:31 pm

It tastes like broccoli, but has the texture of cauliflower. I like it.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/19/2012, 1:34 pm

Can't wait to try it.
Thanks!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 6/19/2012, 1:40 pm

I am trying romanesco also this year...thought the kids might like to see there are different shapes of most plants lol. no heads on it yet.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/12/2017, 8:47 pm

OK, I planted 3 of these, 2 got eaten by varmints.  One remains.  It is HUGE!  The leaves are like gigantic...I had to move a pepper despite proper SFG spacing.  When will this thing start making a "head"?  I have never grown cauli or broc.....got a kinda late start, transplant went out first week of June.  

Advice?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/12/2017, 9:00 pm

Scorpio, I'm not sure what you can expect.  I think it is too late in the season to grow this successfully.  It prefers cool and cold temps.  I'm afraid the summer heat will signal the plant to bypass the tight green head you are hoping for.  I think the heat will summon the plant to bolt or flower, in order to set seeds.  Sorry.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/12/2017, 9:03 pm

llama momma wrote:Scorpio, I'm not sure what you can expect.  I think it is too late in the season to grow this successfully.  It prefers cool and cold temps.  I'm afraid the summer heat will signal the plant to bypass the tight green head you are hoping for.  I think the heat will summon the plant to bolt or flower, in order to set seeds.  Sorry.
Yeah, LM, it just doesn't look like it is gonna do "anything" so I think it is compost.  It is super huge.  Can I plant it for fall?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/12/2017, 9:13 pm

You can plant indoor broc seeds right now and set out transplants later for fall harvest. Personally, by this  time in the gardening season I'm not interested in fussing with indoor seedlings so I just buy a few transplants at the garden center when it's planting time.  Brocs love the cool temps as do I and the weather is a pleasure for gardening.
I tried spring broc and you never know when the heat is going to come and ruin it, so I did that once and now only do fall broc.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/12/2017, 9:22 pm

llama momma wrote:You can plant indoor broc seeds right now and set out transplants later for fall harvest. Personally, by this  time in the gardening season I'm not interested in fussing with indoor seedlings so I just buy a few transplants at the garden center when it's planting time.  Brocs love the cool temps as do I and the weather is a pleasure for gardening.
I tried spring broc and you never know when the heat is going to come and ruin it, so I did that once and now only do fall broc.
I am 100% there with you o that...thanks for the advice, I really like the vegggies, but i am in the same boat with Mustard, which I also have never grown.  So I think I will give them a Fall run!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/12/2017, 9:45 pm

You're welcome.  Think you will love the fall results.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 7/12/2017, 10:06 pm

If it follows the same rules as broccoli, you might be able to still eat the leaves if nothing else! Broccoli leaves are supposed to taste somewhat like kale.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/13/2017, 9:46 pm

Robbomb116 wrote:If it follows the same rules as broccoli, you might be able to still eat the leaves if nothing else!  Broccoli leaves are supposed to taste somewhat like kale.
I heard that.  I personally hate kale.  I think I would like it cooked, but to eat it raw....um. No.  It is work.   Wink
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/13/2017, 9:48 pm

llama momma wrote:You're welcome.  Think you will love the fall results.
August?  Transplants?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/14/2017, 8:27 am

My Romanesco head started getting looser instead of bigger, so I harvested it (and et it! Growing Romanesco Broccoli 4022887542 )
Will the side shoots form into miniheads, or is this not that sort of plant?

I'm suspicious the second Romanesco isn't going to head, so I'm at 1 to 1. The broccoli I got 2 headed, 1 bolting, I guess, since it's going for the tall with secondary sprigs of leaves coming out the sides. The cabbage I'm getting 4 heads, 2 that are small and loosely headed, and another 2 that just aren't going anywhere fast so we'll say 4/8.  One small cauliflower plant has a tiny head, I need to see if I can even still find the other plant, I think it got enveloped by the chickpea plants. 

So I'm now at about 50% successful at getting these plants to head. I'm going to start some of these a little earlier next year. The failed cabbages seems caused by transplanting plants that were the same age as the successful ones, about 1-3weeks later. So transplant timing is more important than I realized when I started out.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/14/2017, 12:46 pm

Broccoli leaves good substitute for cabbage leaves in cabbage rolls.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 7/25/2017, 3:54 pm

Mine just never produced. Will try again soon for my fall garden.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Growing Romanesco Broccoli WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/25/2017, 8:19 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:Mine just never produced. Will try again soon for my fall garden.
Me too.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/26/2017, 7:20 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:My Romanesco head started getting looser instead of bigger, so I harvested it (and et it! Growing Romanesco Broccoli 4022887542 )

I'm suspicious the second Romanesco isn't going to head, so I'm at 1 to 1. The broccoli I got 2 headed, 1 bolting, I guess, since it's going for the tall with secondary sprigs of leaves coming out the sides. The cabbage I'm getting 4 heads, 2 that are small and loosely headed, and another 2 that just aren't going anywhere fast so we'll say 4/8.  One small cauliflower plant has a tiny head, I need to see if I can even still find the other plant, I think it got enveloped by the chickpea plants. 

So I'm now at about 50% successful at getting these plants to head. I'm going to start some of these a little earlier next year. The failed cabbages seems caused by transplanting plants that were the same age as the successful ones, about 1-3weeks later. So transplant timing is more important than I realized when I started out.

I discovered that once the temperatures  & humidity get high the Romanesco opens up like a blown cauli.
  It's still edible if you use it in a chicken stock based soup & deep freeze it.  You can also use it like cauli , raw in salads or to give crunch in a soup.

Once you have cut the big heads & left plenty of greenery behind , the plant  will indeed reproduce  several smaller less tight new heads  though again if it's too warm & moist they will blow almost as soon as they form ....juicing anyone ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/29/2017, 10:44 am

plantoid wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:My Romanesco head started getting looser instead of bigger, so I harvested it (and et it! Growing Romanesco Broccoli 4022887542 )

I discovered that once the temperatures  & humidity get high the Romanesco opens up like a blown cauli.
  It's still edible if you use it in a chicken stock based soup & deep freeze it.  You can also use it like cauli , raw in salads or to give crunch in a soup.

Once you have cut the big heads & left plenty of greenery behind , the plant  will indeed reproduce  several smaller less tight new heads  though again if it's too warm & moist they will blow almost as soon as they form ....juicing anyone ?
Thanks, plantoid.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/29/2017, 4:49 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
plantoid wrote:

Thanks, plantoid.
Also thanks! I had the side-shoots yesterday. They were a bit bitter, but tasted fine once mixed into a curry.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/19/2018, 7:00 pm

So, I really really want to grow this...should I start it indoors and transplant out when I put in radishes?  Or chard?  Or direct seed?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 11/20/2018, 10:08 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:So, I really really want to grow this...should I start it indoors and transplant out when I put in radishes?  Or chard?  Or direct seed?
In the past, I did the transplants and planted directly in the gound in the greenhouse.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/20/2018, 1:52 pm

How does it taste compared to broccoli? It is such a pretty plant.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/20/2018, 6:41 pm

has55 wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:So, I really really want to grow this...should I start it indoors and transplant out when I put in radishes?  Or chard?  Or direct seed?
In the past, I did the transplants and planted directly in the gound in the greenhouse.
I am not sure of timing.  What else would you put in when you plant it, Has?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next