Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey Toplef10SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey I22gcj10SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey Toplef10SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey I22gcj10SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey

+6
landarch
gwennifer
walshevak
quiltbea
RoOsTeR
trprince
10 posters

Go down

SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey Empty SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey

Post  trprince 6/6/2012, 7:06 am

So here in Alabama and in our area where the builders took the great soil and left us with the hard uck! Well I planted two tomato plants 10 years ago and the sandy thick clay soil just turned my stomach to think of eating from that so pulled them up and in our small yard thought gardening would not be my thing. Sad Then my sister and brother in law heard about SFGing and when I saw theirs, my dreaming began.

The LAST week of May...late but feeling maybe there was time to jump in, I ordered the book on Kindle, headed to Home Depot and attempted my first woodworking project to build a SFG box...that was 2 p.m.ish and by bedtime there was...

SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga15

The instructions were so easy AND I called our local nursery and they stock vermiculite, peat and various compost and list it on a sheet with prices for Mel's Mix (so that was not going to be a city wide hunt and gave me the jump start to try this!)

The whole family got interested and after staining the outside top and bottom of the box and putting it in place, we went to buy the ingredients and start playing in poo (never thought I would be so happy to buy and mix and grow in compost) I just did not THINK about how our food is grown...it was out of sight out of mind. I LOVE now watching the full process, learning and teaching our girls!
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga16

Transplants went in (all purchased were root bound probably for being late in the season buying them here) after chopping off root bound parts...
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga21

They looked SO flimsy and sad in the heat of the day but would perk back up after water

and a few squares of seed just to SEE Smile
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga17

Building the box, got my woodworking juices excited and a potting bench seemed perfect, but our space was small and all I saw to buy were 2-3x too big. I decided to give it a try and the next day built...
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga18

Although building was seeming fun...I was chickening out on the trellis for some reason. I tried buying the pretty black option (I found one that had reach through size spacing and was 6' tall and 2' wide so two were perfect behind the box BUT they would NOT go into the ground deep or sturdy without bending and leaning. I headed back to Home Depot...their most clueless DIYer that just kept coming back with new projects and met Keith, in the electrical conduit department. I showed him the materials list and a few pictures from the book and $10 and an hour and a half later I left with the trellis support Mel recommends and am THRILLED!!! I did not buy the rounding tool, he did it right there in the store so I just had to bring that home and connect in the center.
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga19
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga30

On May 27th seeds went in for 3 varieties of radish, 2 varieties green bean bushes, 9 chives, and spinach.

On May 28th we added a compost bin...
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey Compos10

On May 31 we had radishes sprouting...
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga20

On June 1 our first bean broke ground...
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga22

June 3 I bought summer squash and learned it needed support too to not spread 4 feet around the front of the box on the ground...I did go for the smaller trellis option to try for this first year and added the squash on the south side of the box...our location gets FULL sun morning til late afternoon...
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga23

June 3 a chive broke ground...
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga24

I was bracing for all the growing and tracking and hoping all the pest stories I had heard would be easy on me month 1 of gardening EVER!

Well June 4, our first bean to break through the surface looked like...
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga25
I have posted for input (HELP) on this and these next two critters here:

and I found this on the tomato plant I am trying to do sideways (like recommended in the book):
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga26

and these ALL in the soil:
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga27
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga28
SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 2012ga29

So now that I have journalled through what I have documented so far...heading out to see what beauty and to-dos the garden holds for this day. Smile Any input on how you all keep track/journal, what I should be tracking...I am brand new...LOVE the book and am excited to learn and take any feedback that will help me grow in growing! Thanks so much Smile
trprince
trprince

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey Empty Re: SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey

Post  RoOsTeR 6/6/2012, 7:49 am

Welcome trprince Very Happy Way to get the family out and involved in the garden! Looks great SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 3170584802

SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey Empty Re: SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey

Post  quiltbea 6/6/2012, 9:25 am

@trprince.......Welcome to the forum. You are at the other end of the heat spectrum from me but there are preventives against bugs.

You look like you could use lightweight row cover against the pests. It still lets thru 90% of the sunlight and all the rain, but keeps out the pests. You have to be sure the ends are covered on the ground around the plants. Its called ReMay or Agribon.

SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 05-23-13

These are my cauliflowers covered. In the north we have to cover against flea beetles that can destroy the leaves of plants.

SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 06-05-13

I even lay it lightly over my strawberries after the berries begin to form, to keep the birds from getting most of my harvest. Just remember when using it, to uncover the plants when they are blossoming so the bees and wind can pollinate the flowers, then cover them back up after several days.

Its light enough to just lay over your plants or you can make tents or hoops with wire or wire clothes hangers if you prefer.

Your garden bed is lookin' terrific. I think you'll do well with it. It looks like a grand family affair. Enjoy.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/6/2012, 9:36 am

Another type of trellis which is solid, is the concrete reinforcing wire that you can get in building supply stores. It comes in 4' wide by 9' lengths but can be cut with wire cutters to any length you like.

SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 06-07-18

Here's a cuke tower I made with some of that reinforcing wire. You could keep it straight and brace it at the north side of a bed for a strong trellis. Just another idea for trellising.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/6/2012, 11:40 am

You have made a wonderful start on your gardening. I love the pictures.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 6/6/2012, 12:27 pm

What a fun photo journal - thanks so much for sharing!

My beans look exactly like yours. My first time growing them too, so I don't know what it's about. BUT... they grow quickly and the damage seems to have been limited to the first couple of leaves, and not all of the sprouts, so I'm currently not worried about it.

A Home Depot guy was willing to bend conduit for me at the store too, but he didn't do as nice of a job as yours. That's okay though; still sturdy and works great. I used the concrete re-mesh that Quiltbea mentioned.

SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 396615 to the forum! And SFG- my introduction to gardening... Pictures of the Journey 109486 to your sister and BIL for introducing you to the method!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 6/6/2012, 12:46 pm

Your boxes look really good...thanks for the pics.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 6/6/2012, 12:53 pm

Love your planting story and pixs! It is so much fun to watch them grow!Very Happy

For bug control I have bridal veil netting over all of my beds right now. I will be removing some as the squashes and cucumbers start flowering and my peas and beans need trellising.

Happy gardening!

Evelyn from zone 4 Wyoming
efirvin
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  michellentn 6/6/2012, 2:02 pm

WOW! Awesome setup! Great start for someone starting late in the game! You sure had the desire to get going! LOVE all the pics! I hope you have a great harvest once it gets going! I am it was mentioned to use row covers. I had thought about using them. Smile
michellentn
michellentn

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/7/2012, 8:49 am

What a great start, looks awesome! Keep us posted and good luck with the bugs!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  darci.strutt 6/7/2012, 9:14 am

Great story and pictures! I'd say you're a natural at documentation Very Happy I keep a journal that lists the varieties of seed (or plants), the date I planted, the date they sprouted (to remind me some take a long time), the date I harvested, and then add in things like how they did, how we liked them, were there problems - just free form thoughts. I'm a bit of an information junkie, but it helps me learn what works and what doesn't over time. I wish I would have added in information about weather this year because it's been so weird...but guess I can't track everything. I've also taken a lot of pictures to document the progress. You are very creative! Your space is beautiful! So cool to share with your kids.
darci.strutt
darci.strutt

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down