Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Herbs in Pots Toplef10Herbs in Pots 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Herbs in Pots I22gcj10Herbs in Pots 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Herbs in Pots Toplef10Herbs in Pots 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Herbs in Pots I22gcj10Herbs in Pots 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Herbs in Pots

+2
efirvin
memart1
6 posters

Go down

Herbs in Pots Empty Herbs in Pots

Post  memart1 5/27/2012, 5:14 pm

I have four matching pots in graduated sizes (12-3/4", 10", 8-1/2", and 7" in diameter) I thought they would look nice on my deck with herbs in them. What do you suggest? I was thinking of sweet basil, chives, moss curled parsley, and thyme. Is the small planter too small? What are the sizes of the plants? Naturally I would want the biggest plant in the biggest pot, etc. Really I can get more of the planters as I have a ceramic shop and can pour as many as I want. Do you suggest a drainage hole and a plastic plant saucer or a plate underneath the planters? I will be making these planters myself. Should I make all four in the larger size? Ideas please.
memart1
memart1

Female Posts : 195

http://www.mem-artceramics.com

Back to top Go down

Herbs in Pots Empty Re: Herbs in Pots

Post  efirvin 5/27/2012, 7:21 pm

memart1 wrote:I have four matching pots in graduated sizes (12-3/4", 10", 8-1/2", and 7" in diameter) I thought they would look nice on my deck with herbs in them. What do you suggest? I was thinking of sweet basil, chives, moss curled parsley, and thyme. Is the small planter too small? What are the sizes of the plants? Naturally I would want the biggest plant in the biggest pot, etc. Really I can get more of the planters as I have a ceramic shop and can pour as many as I want. Do you suggest a drainage hole and a plastic plant saucer or a plate underneath the planters? I will be making these planters myself. Should I make all four in the larger size? Ideas please.

Since the chives and thyme are perennials you may want to put those in the largest pots and can move them inside when the weather turns cold. Basil and parsley will grow nicely in pots too but you may limit your harvest if the pots are too small.

It is so nice to have fresh herbs for cooking!
efirvin
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 5/27/2012, 8:21 pm

[quote="efirvin"

Since the chives and thyme are perennials you may want to put those in the largest pots and can move them inside when the weather turns cold. Basil and parsley will grow nicely in pots too but you may limit your harvest if the pots are too small.

It is so nice to have fresh herbs for cooking![/quote]

I was considering grow some herbs in pots as well and basil and chives are the ones my wife uses most but leaning more towards basil as she uses it in just about everythingand would like to have a steady supply all year.

To continue getting basil in the winter months I was thinking of putting them on shelves with lights? Guess it would be worth a try...

Herbs in Pots 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/28/2012, 11:53 am

I would put thyme in the largest pot by itself; it will easily fill it in a year or so. Chives are also perennial but not an aggressive spreader and could share space with something else. I have rosemary and 2 parsley plants in a pot and put my basil (which I grow as an annual) in planters with geraniums since they have similar requirements.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 5/29/2012, 7:01 pm

herblover wrote:I would put thyme in the largest pot by itself; it will easily fill it in a year or so. Chives are also perennial but not an aggressive spreader and could share space with something else. I have rosemary and 2 parsley plants in a pot and put my basil (which I grow as an annual) in planters with geraniums since they have similar requirements.

So if I grow just chives and basil in a 3 foot long box, would you plant them 1 foot apart say one basil, one chives, one basil? Or could I do more or less....

Just checked I have 2 of those boxes...
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/29/2012, 9:32 pm

Chives can be a bit of a thug if they love the pot they're in, and will crowd out more tender plants, like basil. Personally, I put a batch of chives in the center of a 24" BIG pot on the deck. Around the chives, I plant three to five pansies, then plant thyme around the rim. Pansies for pretty color and edible flower addition to a salad; chives for--well you know; and the thyme bursts over the edge of the pot to fill in the look: chives--upstanding; pansies--color; thyme--rounded, trailing shape. Don't forget, when the chives put out flowers, they're great for garnish, and the tiny purple petals look good in a mixed salad. A medium-size pot full of different colors of basil is stunning all by itself: Genovese large leaf basil for your tomato sauce and pizza; purple basil for marinating in vinegar for salad dressing; a bit of Thai basil for Pad Thai. Put this pot in the warmest part of your deck or patio. Okay, I'm out of ideas, someone else? Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/30/2012, 8:49 am

I love your aesthetic Nonna! While I have never had chives be overly aggressive, basil can be. I have grown basil bushes when they are in a happy spot. Do you have any issues with the flovors of the basils commingling planted that way? A couple of other ideas for chive blossoms; infused vinegar which has a delicate pink color and herb butter. I have made and froze 2 pounds of it for the winter. Chives will only bloom once a season but you can harvest the stems all season.
herblover
herblover

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/30/2012, 1:32 pm

No, herblover, I've never noticed a transfer of flavors from one variety to another, unless they flower and are pollinized with pollin from another variety, and you carefully saved the hybrid seeds, planted them and........well, you know. Personally, I purchase fresh seed every year and plant in succession about 3 times through the summer. The last pot is brought into the sunroom when it starts getting too cool, and I baby it as long as possible. Then we're back to using up the frozen pesto base made in the summer, or buying (at exhorbitant price) some at the store. And in this vein: has anyone grown basil under grow lights through the winter?
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  javaaddict 5/30/2012, 2:41 pm

Rosemary grows really well in a pot, and you can bring it in over the winter and use it for all of those awesome savory meat dishes when it's cold. Smile

I completely agree about putting chives in a BIG pot by themselves. They are brutal. Mine are in a pot, they are the least work of any plant I have. I leave the pot outside all winter, and when spring comes, they pop right back up, no work involved.

I would also recommend mint in a pot. It's a weed, and if you let it get anywhere near soil in a bed, it will try to conquer the world.

I have parsley in a pot this year, it's doing well. I'm also going to try tarragon in a pot, if I can find a plant. I've been craving it like crazy and I hate paying for it at the grocery.

Good luck with your herbs!

OH! Basil in a pot - I have 40 basil plants in my SFG, I thought that was so funny! LOL I know not everybody loves it as much as I do though, so if you just need a bit a pot will be just fine.
javaaddict
javaaddict

Female Posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/30/2012, 2:44 pm

I agree about mint; it is an aggressive spreader. i do have rosemary in a pot with a couple of parsley plants. All survived our very mild winter and have come back nicely. I usually grow rosemary as an annual; I am hesitant about bringing them in due to lack of space and cats.
herblover
herblover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down