Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG under ground instead of raised? Toplef10SFG under ground instead of raised? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG under ground instead of raised? I22gcj10SFG under ground instead of raised? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» beneficial nematodes
by OhioGardener Today at 12:43 pm

» Seed Exchange: Looking for Greek Sweet Red Squash
by OhioGardener Today at 12:35 pm

» The SFG journey-Shade cloth removal
by has55 Today at 12:16 pm

» Planting Asparagus seedlings.
by OhioGardener Today at 11:56 am

» Elevated beds
by joseluis Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Hello from your Mid-South Host
by BarbaraG Yesterday at 10:17 am

» Hello!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:35 am

» Tomato Pie
by Scorpio Rising 9/21/2020, 9:02 pm

» N&C Midwest: September 2020 !
by Scorpio Rising 9/21/2020, 8:58 pm

» Lettuce & Greens always bitter
by plantoid 9/20/2020, 3:59 pm

» Squirrels again
by RJARPCGP 9/20/2020, 12:12 pm

» New England, September, 2020
by RJARPCGP 9/19/2020, 11:30 pm

» Tomato Tuesday - 2020
by OhioGardener 9/19/2020, 8:43 am

» Late season Planting?
by Scorpio Rising 9/18/2020, 11:35 am

» Quick Fall Crops
by Scorpio Rising 9/18/2020, 11:31 am

» Prior planning prevents poor plantings performance
by Scorpio Rising 9/16/2020, 10:30 am

» South West Gal returns to SQF
by AtlantaMarie 9/15/2020, 7:20 am

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by Scorpio Rising 9/13/2020, 12:36 pm

» Fire Season
by TCgardening 9/13/2020, 9:35 am

» Eddie Willers 1st rookie mistake, what to do?
by TCgardening 9/13/2020, 9:26 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2020, 10:25 am

» Fall Pollinators
by OhioGardener 9/10/2020, 4:19 pm

» New to SFG in Michigan 6a
by OhioGardener 9/10/2020, 3:32 pm

» OhioGardener SFG
by OhioGardener 9/10/2020, 3:26 pm

» How much compost do I need?
by sanderson 9/10/2020, 2:32 am

» Old New Guy
by TCgardening 9/8/2020, 2:45 pm

» Greetings from Central Florida
by TCgardening 9/8/2020, 2:43 pm

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by Scorpio Rising 9/7/2020, 2:50 pm

» Ediblegardengirl's post about square foot gardening
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2020, 9:22 am

» Monthly Avatar: September, Show Off Your Garden Harvest!
by Scorpio Rising 9/3/2020, 9:32 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG under ground instead of raised?

Go down

SFG under ground instead of raised? Empty SFG under ground instead of raised?

Post  GWN on 5/20/2012, 11:18 am

My husband has refused to make any more 4x4s until he has caught up with the irrigation. So I decided to make my own beds by digging down.
I dug down about 7-8 inches, put rocks all around, and then put down shredded paper as a weed blockSFG under ground instead of raised? Dsc_0255

Chewy likes to get in on the action.SFG under ground instead of raised? Dsc_0256
Shredded paper LOTS of water then stomp it down
SFG under ground instead of raised? Dsc_0257

Mels mix and lots more water..
SFG under ground instead of raised? Dsc_0258

and a bamboo stucture to keep chewy out of bed, cucumbers and presto my CUKE bed.....approx 15 square feet by 7 inches deep.SFG under ground instead of raised? Dsc_0259

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

SFG under ground instead of raised? Empty Re: SFG under ground instead of raised?

Post  cheyannarach on 5/20/2012, 11:26 am

Haha, that's a great idea when stuck with a stubborn hubby! It's like a mix of original SFG and ANSFG! Looks like you have been working hard!

I love your bamboo stucture!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

SFG under ground instead of raised? Empty Re: SFG under ground instead of raised?

Post  camprn on 5/20/2012, 11:59 am

Fab, fab FABULOUS! What a Face

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

SFG under ground instead of raised? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb on 5/20/2012, 12:05 pm

Any drainage issues? I have more in the desert as the ground has lots of clay. Curious about you
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 5/20/2012, 12:09 pm

This area has gravel below, I seem to be able to water lots and lots without it puddling, so I guess that means it is good, perhaps I might have to wait awhile to know for sure.
Just did this this week
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim on 5/20/2012, 12:47 pm

One of my customers did this too only he dug down more than 12" and filled with mix. He's had great success with this and so did I since he bought the mix from me. Very Happy

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

SFG under ground instead of raised? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma on 5/20/2012, 1:46 pm

I've got giant pumpkin seed sprouts that I am transplanting into something very similar so when the season is over I could add Mel's mix back into a box that needs topping off. I didn't want to build a box just for giant pumpkin seeds with vines that will leap out of a box very quickly. Just using weed block in the hole to save as much mix as possible. Who knows I may save the hole and MM to use for other sprawling plants next year.

Last edited by llama momma on 5/20/2012, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarify)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4908

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan on 5/20/2012, 8:16 pm

I would think this would be excellent for drought conditions.
I just made a long heap of the partial compost for the winter squash.
I heard we are supposed to have a frost Wednesday. SO I am waiting till after to plant anything.

I love the trellis and helper Very Happy
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2601

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 5/20/2012, 8:28 pm

Perhaps this is just wishful thinking but I am thinking that the shredded paper (which in my compost was the hottest item in there) might also provide some heat as it breaks down.
I am thinking of digging a few more holes and putting straw down at the bottom.
I am thinking that this might be great way to grow the pumpkins as well Llama mom
Turan, I sure hope you do not have frost, we SEEM to be out of the woods here.

My "helper" just dug up one of my artichokes...... SFG under ground instead of raised? 950477
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer on 5/21/2012, 2:54 am

GWN, good job! I have certainly considered putting an SFG in the ground rather than then going up. But then I always balk at the idea of my custom made Mel's Mix mingling with the native soil. I'm oddly protective of that stuff! I keep thinking plant roots will go down past the MM and so when I pull out a plant, it will pull native soil up through the MM and after a couple of seasons it will be all mixed together. I hadn't thought about just lining the pit with landscape fabric though. Hmmmmm...
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN on 5/21/2012, 10:58 pm

I actually do not see the difference with respects of mixing native soil, VS mels MIX
I am using shredded paper here, but just as easily could have used landscape fabric, both to separate the native soil from my MM.
I have not found landscape fabric to be superior to cardboard, and this is an experiment with a thick layer of shredded paper.
The way I see it, whether I create the barrier at ground level, OR 7 inches down, there still is a barrier between the MM and the native soil.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden on 5/22/2012, 12:50 am

I have gone down also, but only some. The wood I bought for my frames was only eight inches high and I wanted to make sure I could plant anything in them so I dug down about four inches and laid down fabric weed block. I have been amending my garden soil for about 16 years and I didn't have enough money for just the Mel's mix exactly. My soil was quite good so I mixed my soil, compost, peat moss, well rotted manure and vermiculite together into the beds. In some of the beds they are not a full 12 inches full but as time goes on I have been adding more of everything except soil.

Love your ingenuity digging down and your bamboo protection! I have been trying for two years to get my son to build me two more boxes! He is getting married in August. I should hold our list for invitations ransom until he gets the boxes done for me, right!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1632

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps on 5/22/2012, 1:34 am

This is a great idea for areas with good drainage! Folks with clay and/or silty soil wouldn't want to do this, but if you have gravelly and/or sandy soil I think it's an excellent idea. Wish I'd heard this idea earlier; with our sandy soil we could've planted more! What a Face
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum