Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Harvesting new potatoes Toplef10Harvesting new potatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Harvesting new potatoes I22gcj10Harvesting new potatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Harvesting new potatoes Toplef10Harvesting new potatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Harvesting new potatoes I22gcj10Harvesting new potatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Harvesting new potatoes

+9
CindiLou
memart1
llama momma
madnicmom
walshevak
RoOsTeR
GWN
Lavender Debs
jfkelly001
13 posters

Go down

Harvesting new potatoes Empty Harvesting new potatoes

Post  jfkelly001 5/19/2012, 12:57 am

My granddaughter and I planted our potatoes on St Patrick and was harvesting new potatoes today. I pulled the plants and she was digging the ones that stayed in ground. MM is great for the kids to dig in. she lives with me, so whenever Papa is in the garden, she is too.
Harvesting new potatoes Raggyp10
jfkelly001
jfkelly001

Male Posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Harvesting new potatoes Empty Re: Harvesting new potatoes

Post  Lavender Debs 5/19/2012, 7:39 am

What a dolly! You are a tease posting your OK spuds in the PNW. I WISH some of my St Paddy potatoes were that far along. They are JUST poking through the mix. You southern gardeners actually get to eat already. Awesome.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/19/2012, 9:17 am

what great fun for someone that age,....or any age for that matter.
Digging up potatoes. I have a really hard time waiting for them to be ready...I am always SOOOO curious what is going on under the ground.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/19/2012, 9:43 am

She sure is a cute tater farmer! How lucky to be getting spuds already. I'm a bit jealous Cool

Harvesting new potatoes Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/19/2012, 10:42 am

how DO you know when earlies are ready?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  jfkelly001 5/19/2012, 1:19 pm

As a rule anytime after the plant blooms you will have new potatoes of all sizes.. From pea size up to 3-4 inches. You can reach under the mm and get them or pull the whole plant like I did. I only grow my potatoes for new potatoes.
jfkelly001
jfkelly001

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/19/2012, 2:42 pm

I'm waiting until the farmer down the road pulls his up. We planted almost the same day. His are blooming and one of my plants bloomed.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 5/21/2012, 9:02 pm

She is sooo cute! Congrats on the crop!
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/21/2012, 9:13 pm

[quote="jfkelly001"]My granddaughter and I planted our potatoes on St Patrick and was harvesting new potatoes today. I pulled the plants and she was digging the ones that stayed in ground. MM is great for the kids to dig in. she lives with me, so whenever Papa is in the garden, she is too.

That is such a sweet picture. One of my earliest memories at the grandmothers house is the men with their pitchforks digging, and the grandkids gathering the taters out of the dirt. Just as much fun as an easter egg hunt.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Harvesting new potatoes Empty Harvesting New Potatoes

Post  memart1 5/21/2012, 9:16 pm

That is great that your granddaughter is helping in the garden. She will learn early on to appreciate what she grows. I think children should be taught to enjoy all foods, especially fruit and vegetables. She's a cutie, too!
memart1
memart1

Female Posts : 195

http://www.mem-artceramics.com

Back to top Go down

Harvesting new potatoes Empty Harvesting New Potatoes

Post  jfkelly001 5/21/2012, 11:26 pm

"I feel it’s important for children to understand how the world works, including the natural world. Gardening is a world of experiments, wonder, and development. I also want my grandkids to know where food REALLY comes from–not a shelf in the store, but from the earth, and it starts as a seed."

These are not my words, but a quote from a web site I visited. But that how I feel. Some of my married grandkids who grew up in the city will not eat food from my garden because it grows in dirt (MM). But this grand daughter eats right from the garden while we are working in it. so what if she plants a seed to deep or it is out of place in a square. She is doing the best a 2 year old can and the plant and I don't care. But the main thing is she is learning and we are spending time together. I hope 1 day when she is an adult, she will tell her kids about the good old days with papa, while she is teaching her kids the love of gardening.
jfkelly001
jfkelly001

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/21/2012, 11:34 pm

Last year my grandkids (three of them) were out helping me pick the beets (I hate beets Sad) i guess the beets knew it cause they really were terrible lol..

anyway..they started having me slice the beets right then lol...

this spring it was "NaNa, are you going to plant more of those red things?" but they wont touch them if they are cooked Harvesting new potatoes 889526 Harvesting new potatoes 889526 Harvesting new potatoes 889526

And they love to help pick strawberries..ok.nana pick and they eat Harvesting new potatoes 889526
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/21/2012, 11:38 pm

jfkelly001 wrote: ...Some of my married grandkids who grew up in the city will not eat food from my garden because it grows in dirt (MM)....

I gotta admit, this statement made me a bit confused... Harvesting new potatoes 601593 ... I mean, where do they think food comes from, anyway? Harvesting new potatoes 262465 Harvesting new potatoes 889526Grocery stores are the bane of society if people aren't willing to eat fresh veggies out of a garden!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 5/22/2012, 12:26 am

jfkelly001 wrote:"I feel it’s important for children to understand how the world works, including the natural world. Gardening is a world of experiments, wonder, and development. I also want my grandkids to know where food REALLY comes from–not a shelf in the store, but from the earth, and it starts as a seed."

These are not my words, but a quote from a web site I visited. But that how I feel. Some of my married grandkids who grew up in the city will not eat food from my garden because it grows in dirt (MM). But this grand daughter eats right from the garden while we are working in it. so what if she plants a seed to deep or it is out of place in a square. She is doing the best a 2 year old can and the plant and I don't care. But the main thing is she is learning and we are spending time together. I hope 1 day when she is an adult, she will tell her kids about the good old days with papa, while she is teaching her kids the love of gardening.

I loved this! I have 3 little ones and my middle child who is 3 loves planting seeds with me, she remebers what we planted where and goes to check on them everytime we water the garden! If she sees a sprout she say "mom we gonna eat this" every time!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  jfkelly001 5/22/2012, 12:44 am

givvmistamps wrote:
jfkelly001 wrote: ...Some of my married grandkids who grew up in the city will not eat food from my garden because it grows in dirt (MM)....

I gotta admit, this statement made me a bit confused... Harvesting new potatoes 601593 ... I mean, where do they think food comes from, anyway? Harvesting new potatoes 262465 Harvesting new potatoes 889526Grocery stores are the bane of society if people aren't willing to eat fresh veggies out of a garden!
That is what the problem is. They do not think where the food comes from. They just buy it and eat it. Kinda makes you wonder how many would survive if the stores and fast foods shut down.
jfkelly001
jfkelly001

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/22/2012, 1:29 am

jfkelly001 wrote:
givvmistamps wrote:

That is what the problem is. They do not think where the food comes from. They just buy it and eat it. Kinda makes you wonder how many would survive if the stores and fast foods shut down.
I think this is one of the points that Barbara Kingsolver makes in her book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It's amazing to me that so many people just don't think about the fact that vegetables grow on plants in the dirt...and that's not even the root veggies! What, do they think they're going to get sick from veggies from good soil, and grocery stores only sell hydroponics veggies? I trust my veggies more than I do the grocery store stuff; at least I know no chemicals have gone on or into them, and I know that they're free of e-coli because I don't live near cattle. Granted, I'll wash them in case a random bird went poo on the produce when flying by, but, oh phooey! Let me get off my soapbox! No Anyway, I want my kids to know where food comes from, so we're growing everything that will grow down here at one point or another. I wanted to do peanuts, but just haven't gotten around to it. If we weren't inside the city limits with a livestock ban, I would have a few chickens.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/22/2012, 7:58 am

jfkelly001 wrote:
givvmistamps wrote:

I couldn't get my 4 yo grandson to dig in a bucket of MM until we put plastic gloves on his hands and then it was "so hard. I can't do this". We were trying to get him to plant his own tomato. Can you imagine a row garden. The 15 yo granddaughter has finally decided the garden is a wonderful idea and willingly will water it now. Before, I had to insist to get her to help me lift and twist the tarp mixing MM and then she had to go directly " do not pass go, do not collect $200" to the shower.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 5/22/2012, 8:15 am

I agree about people not knowing where food comes from, and it's really sad.
My grandpa taught me about gardening/farming/animal husbandry from the time I could walk around behind him while he did the outside chores. I owe much of my interest and enthusiasm in those things to him... it was SUCH a gift!
Growing up... if he couldn't grow it or raise it, and it couldn't be caught on a fish-hook or bartered for, we most likely wouldn't have much of it at all. I can only remember a few cans of store-bought things in my grandma's pantry. Most of the "canned" food was in ball jars. Smile
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  vee 5/23/2012, 3:57 pm

jfkelly - I'm afraid the answer to your head scratcher would be startling. Have you ever heard the scenarios of how long the food supplies of a Walmart last without trucks rolling or other interruptions in food production? It's not days, it's hours. You've seen what it looks like when a storm is about to hit in the milk and battery sections?

So no, it doesn't surprise me at all that many do not have a clue where their food comes from.

BTW that is just an adoreable picture. My 3 year old grands are coming to visit in about 2 weeks and I am really just wondering what they will do to my garden. But I will love it and fix it when they are gone.
vee
vee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down