Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky Toplef10Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky I22gcj10Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky Toplef10Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky I22gcj10Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky

4 posters

Go down

Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky Empty Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky

Post  rjeverett 5/15/2012, 2:45 pm

Hi, I would love to start by saying I was SO very excited to find this forum! After a big 'ol fail with my first garden last year (it was not a SFG), I am just so determined to go into this season a lot more educated, and this definitely seems like a great place to learn!
A big motivator for gardening, besides my love for it, is to provide as much food for my family of 5 as possible straight from the yard. The obvious benefits to my family, friends, neighbors and planet is also a huge motivation for me. My grandfather was a farmer most his life, and when we would visit the farm I was his shadow from dawn til dusk, watching everything he did and discovering my own passion for dirt under the nails Wink
I am really looking forward to 'meeting' everyone as time goes on, and learning from experience, mine and yours!
Thanks for taking the time! happy hi
rjeverett
rjeverett

Female Posts : 58

Back to top Go down

Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky Empty Re: Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky

Post  michellentn 5/15/2012, 3:35 pm

A big southern welcome to you Rebecca!

So much info on here to browse through. Use the google search box on here to the left with the Search SFG Forum box checked (usually it is automatically) for any info you are looking for. Also go to the Regional Forums sections from the Home page and look up your region for more info pertaining to your zone. I believe you are in the same zone I am in which is considered Middle South.

Have you started a garden yet? Have you decided what you will be growing? I wish the best season yet! Looking to hearing from you!

Very Happy

Michelle
michellentn
michellentn

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky Empty Re: Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky

Post  walshevak 5/15/2012, 8:03 pm

Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky 396615 Have your read the book ALL NEW SQUAREFOOT GARDENING. It is the how to manual for this forum. And it explains how to make gardens sooooo much easier. The book plus this forum explain all about the Mel's Mix soil blend of 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite and 1/3 a compost blend and spacing in squares.

We also love pictures so be sure to document your progress.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  rjeverett 5/15/2012, 9:29 pm

Thanks for the well wishes! I did finally read the book, cover to cover, multiple times My husband got it last year and no matter how much he tried to talk me into being interested I just couldn't get there. Not sure what made me finally pick it up and start reading but I am very glad I did!
I have 5 boxes - three 4x4's, one 2x2 that is 12" high (carrot box), and a 2x8 I am using for my strawberries and onions.

I have decided to try yellow and zucchini squash again this year even though they were decimated by SVB and Squash bugs last year. Mostly because I didn't even know they existed until it was too late - yes, definitely working on being completely educated this go 'round
Along with carrots, lettuce, cauliflower and broccoli, pole beans, six tomato plants, early peas, and several companion flowers/herbs.

Got most everything in the ground 2 weeks ago and finished with the last box this past weekend. Already got a tiny yellow squash off the first plant (tiny because she bloomed before any boys did) but it was yummy all the same! Have several more yellow ladies about to bloom in the next week and while no yellow males are ripe the heirloom zucchini has a couple boys so I may just do a little cross pollination there just so all those babies don't go to waste

Everything is looking really great so far, although I did notice a few tomato plants having some questionable spots on some lower leaves and after a days worth of reading and research I am pretty sure it is a nitrogen deficiency but am going to soil test to be sure....

Okay I have gone on and on enough so I'll stop here, I am just so excited, being a newbie and all!
I have been taking pictures and will post pictures as soon as I can.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
rjeverett
rjeverett

Female Posts : 58

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/16/2012, 1:47 am

Hello all, from Louisville Kentucky 396615 Sounds like you've caught the SFG bug, for sure! Lots of people here to answer questions, and photos are definitely appreciated by all members. The book will get you started, and this forum will complement it perfectly...
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum