Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Toplef10Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 I22gcj10Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Toplef10Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 I22gcj10Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest—September 2021
by OhioGardener Today at 11:37 am

» Patio Tomatoes at the Kitchen Door
by MacRadDoc Today at 9:18 am

» Mulch question
by MrBooker Today at 6:37 am

» Fallen Apples
by Kelejan Today at 3:48 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to June 2021
by Kelejan Yesterday at 1:25 pm

» California's Drought
by Kelejan Yesterday at 12:58 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 9/14/2021, 11:28 pm

» Organic Management of Fall Garden Pests
by OhioGardener 9/14/2021, 8:38 am

» My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.
by azonia221 9/13/2021, 9:10 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/12/2021, 11:54 am

» Chick N Poo Compost
by OhioGardener 9/9/2021, 4:59 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by donnainzone5 9/9/2021, 12:41 pm

» Composting information
by Bart 9/9/2021, 11:13 am

» Hi from Lillington, NC
by AtlantaMarie 9/9/2021, 7:11 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/7/2021, 7:19 pm

» What's everyone planting?
by sanderson 9/7/2021, 1:24 pm

» Worm On Tomato?
by sanderson 9/7/2021, 1:21 pm

» Canning Humor
by sanderson 9/6/2021, 11:36 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by sanderson 9/6/2021, 11:35 pm

» Hi from an SFG beginner from Nashville, TN
by sanderson 9/6/2021, 10:55 pm

» Tomato - Snow Fairy
by markqz 9/6/2021, 6:23 pm

» Soil Building - For Better Fruit Production
by sanderson 9/6/2021, 4:33 pm

» OhioGardener SFG
by mollyhespra 9/6/2021, 1:19 pm

» Create Your Own Named Hybrid Tomato
by OhioGardener 9/3/2021, 8:10 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson 9/2/2021, 6:56 pm

» Soil Additives
by sanderson 8/31/2021, 3:20 am

» Hurrican Ida
by sanderson 8/30/2021, 5:14 pm

» Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate?
by sanderson 8/30/2021, 5:11 pm

» Walking stick kale
by sanderson 8/30/2021, 4:56 pm

» Figuring out times around the world
by Chuck d'Argy 8/29/2021, 1:15 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Planting for the trellis

+10
Turan
yolos
sanderson
amcon2
acara
chjbr63
cheyannarach
camprn
BillOcala
erichfrie
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  trolleydriver 5/20/2017, 6:48 am

@sanderson wrote:TD,  Do I see a new bed in the future? Wink   I love Canadian CN winter squash.  The necks are pure meat.  I plant 8 winter squash in a 2'x4' bed.  In 2013, I planted them in the fall, thinking they were "winter" squash.  Embarassed  In 2014, I planted 4 Winter squashes with two 2' trellises just at the ends.  In 2015 and 2016, it was 8 WS with a third trellis in the middle.  This year it is 8 WS with 4 trellises.  We shall see.

Turan,  You gave such a thorough answer, specifying the varieties and their trellising needs. Very Happy
sanderson, I started to prepare the location for the new bed on Friday ( see my Third Year thread). I'm surprised that you only needed 2' trellises. I assume that is the width not the height. Do you allow the vines to drape over the sides of your TTs and trellises down to the ground? 

I'm thinking of using ladder trellises down one long side of the bed.  One side of the ladder trellis would have it's legs inside the bed or just outside the bed and the other side of the ladder trellis would rest on the regular ground a few away from the bed. OR would it be better to go with an EMT Conduit and nylon web type of trellis per the ANSFG book?

Ladder trellis like this ... 
Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4Rv06t-76FCh2kpMOuLNUOeP5SQ-rhH4iR_e9RVO8V5awaIFS9Q
trolleydriver
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5368
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 74
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  sanderson 5/20/2017, 2:26 pm

Embarassed  2' wide!!  The winter squash boxes are 2'x4' and the orientation in the landscape mandates how the trellises must to set.  Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Winter25

In other areas, the 2'x4' boxes are oriented so I can place 4' wide trellises. Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Trelli21

The ladder trellis is pretty.  Which type of trellis you choose is up to you.  The ladder is pretty but has a big foot print.  The EMC is plain, but doesn't take up any space.  Winter squash vines can get really long (17' for one of mine that I measured one year) and later in the season the daughter vines start growing.  I let those sprawl out of the box.   WS on right meeting up with cantaloupes on the left, late season.  Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Winter26
Close up. Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Winter27

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19627
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 72
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  trolleydriver 5/22/2017, 5:03 pm

Back again but this time concerning tomatoes.  I want to grow tomatoes in one of my 4x4 beds. There is a 6 foot high trellis on the north side (actually north-westish).  I have True Black Brandywine, Sweet Million and Roma indeterminate transplants ready to go in. I always remove suckers from my indeterminate tomatoes as they grow except I sometimes allow two to three stems to grow.  Can I plant two Brandwyine, one Sweet Million and one Roma at 1 plant per square along that trellis?  Does it make sense to mix up the varieties like that or would it be better to grow only one variety (e.g., the brandywine) along the trellis?
trolleydriver
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5368
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 74
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  yolos 5/22/2017, 6:21 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:Back again but this time concerning tomatoes.  I want to grow tomatoes in one of my 4x4 beds. There is a 6 foot high trellis on the north side (actually north-westish).  I have True Black Brandywine, Sweet Million and Roma indeterminate transplants ready to go in. I always remove suckers from my indeterminate tomatoes as they grow except I sometimes allow two to three stems to grow.  Can I plant two Brandwyine, one Sweet Million and one Roma at 1 plant per square along that trellis?  Does it make sense to mix up the varieties like that or would it be better to grow only one variety (e.g., the brandywine) along the trellis?
Mixing up the varieties is not a problem.  I do it every year.  I am not a fan of the one per square foot so I will let someone else help you on that.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4058
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 71
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  trolleydriver 5/22/2017, 6:24 pm

@yolos wrote:
@trolleydriver wrote:Back again but this time concerning tomatoes.  I want to grow tomatoes in one of my 4x4 beds. There is a 6 foot high trellis on the north side (actually north-westish).  I have True Black Brandywine, Sweet Million and Roma indeterminate transplants ready to go in. I always remove suckers from my indeterminate tomatoes as they grow except I sometimes allow two to three stems to grow.  Can I plant two Brandwyine, one Sweet Million and one Roma at 1 plant per square along that trellis?  Does it make sense to mix up the varieties like that or would it be better to grow only one variety (e.g., the brandywine) along the trellis?
Mixing up the varieties is not a problem.  I do it every year.  I am not a fan of the one per square foot so I will let someone else help you on that.
yolos ... What spacing do you use?  In my Old Style SFG beds (and prior to that in my regular garden) I planted indeterminate tomatoes 18 inches apart and used 6 foot wooden stakes to hold them in place.
trolleydriver
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5368
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 74
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  yolos 5/22/2017, 6:43 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:
@yolos wrote:
@trolleydriver wrote:Back again but this time concerning tomatoes.  I want to grow tomatoes in one of my 4x4 beds. There is a 6 foot high trellis on the north side (actually north-westish).  I have True Black Brandywine, Sweet Million and Roma indeterminate transplants ready to go in. I always remove suckers from my indeterminate tomatoes as they grow except I sometimes allow two to three stems to grow.  Can I plant two Brandwyine, one Sweet Million and one Roma at 1 plant per square along that trellis?  Does it make sense to mix up the varieties like that or would it be better to grow only one variety (e.g., the brandywine) along the trellis?
Mixing up the varieties is not a problem.  I do it every year.  I am not a fan of the one per square foot so I will let someone else help you on that.
yolos ... What spacing do you use?  In my Old Style SFG beds (and prior to that in my regular garden) I planted indeterminate tomatoes 18 inches apart and used 6 foot wooden stakes to hold them in place.
Nobody is quite as nutty as I am about my tomato spacing.  I have 2 foot diameter cages that are eight feet tall.  So two foot centers is my closest.  I have put three tomatoes in an eight foot long box.  There are a few reasons that I space them so far apart.  
1).  Our growing season for tomatoes is 7 months long.  So if the tomatoes do not die from disease or drought or heat, they will be huge (monsters)by the end of the season.  
2).  We have severe disease pressure here in Georgia.  We get early blight every year unless we spray heavily and often with fungicide.  Which I never do for various reasons.  So the farther apart they are planted the easier they are to take care of and slow down any diseases.  
3).  Watering problems.  I do not have drip irrigation and it is so hot down here for so long, the closer you plant them the more often you have to water them.  Having a little distance between the plants allows for more soil to absorb more water and therefore less often watering.
4).  I have plenty of room in my SFG to plant lots of tomatoes and still have room to plant everything I could possibly want to plant.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4058
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 71
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  trolleydriver 5/22/2017, 7:04 pm

Thanks yolos for that explanation.
trolleydriver
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5368
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 74
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  Turan 5/23/2017, 12:44 am

Does camprn plant that close for her Florida weave? That is the only way I can imagine planting that close.
My tomato beds are 30" by 12 feet and I plant 12 ID tomatoes (of several varieties) in that space using strings. I plant as if I had six 30" rows with 2 plants per row. So each plant gets 15" x 24". Even though I do not have the disease pressure that Yolo does, I like being able to easily reach and prune or help pollinate or pick fruit etc. I once did 18" x 18" and had 16 plants. I found it too difficult. However variety does matter in this. I don't know the varieties you are planting well enough to comment on their rambunctiousness level.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2603
Join date : 2012-03-29
Location : Gallatin Valley, Montana, Intermountain zone 4

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  sanderson 5/23/2017, 4:41 am

One bed is 2'x7 feet and I have indeterminates planted in a checkerboard pattern, 3 on one row, 4 on the other.  I trenched them towards the sides so there is plenty of room between them.  The BTE are caged 27" apart (drip line has 9" spacing drippers so I used those as guide).  Three caged cherries are in a 2'x3' TT but they can do what ever they like. :-)

Camp trenches hers when she plants. I think they are pointed to the sides, also, if I remember correctly.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19627
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 72
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  trolleydriver 5/23/2017, 7:58 am

Sanderson ... can you explain further what you mean by being "trenched toward the sides"? Do you mean you lie the seedlings down in a trench with their tops pointing toward the sides that have a trellis?

Something like in this video?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMNA6eSDXI


This "farmer" on Youtube does one tomato plant per square but he prunes them to a single stem.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6_ATF4lp4
trolleydriver
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5368
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 74
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  Robbomb116 5/23/2017, 8:59 am

TD,  that video is actually the very first thing I found related to square foot gardening. And is what made me look into it further.  I plan on trying his method, with 1 per square and pruning to 1 stem myself.  But as this is my first year gardening, I can't share my results with you yet!
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364
Join date : 2016-07-07
Age : 32
Location : Bismarck ND, Zone 4a

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  CapeCoddess 5/23/2017, 12:32 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:Sanderson ... can you explain further what you mean by being "trenched toward the sides"? Do you mean you lie the seedlings down in a trench with their tops pointing toward the sides that have a trellis?

Something like in this video?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMNA6eSDXI


This "farmer" on Youtube does one tomato plant per square but he prunes them to a single stem.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6_ATF4lp4

I do both of those. I think I learned them both from the ANSFG book.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6824
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 65
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  sanderson 5/24/2017, 2:57 am

@trolleydriver wrote:Sanderson ... can you explain further what you mean by being "trenched toward the sides"? Do you mean you lie the seedlings down in a trench with their tops pointing toward the sides that have a trellis?

Something like in this video?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMNA6eSDXI
Yes. I like the video.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19627
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 72
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/1/2017, 9:28 pm

It truly depends on Determinate or Indeterminate.....they are completely different creatures.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8012
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 59
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Planting for the trellis  - Page 2 Empty Re: Planting for the trellis

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum