Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First time SFG in northern Wisconsin Toplef10First time SFG in northern Wisconsin 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin I22gcj10First time SFG in northern Wisconsin 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First time SFG in northern Wisconsin Toplef10First time SFG in northern Wisconsin 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin I22gcj10First time SFG in northern Wisconsin 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin

+8
JennAndCompany
kbb964
elysia
littlesapphire
givvmistamps
quiltbea
laufenberga
Veggie Tales
12 posters

Go down

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin Empty First time SFG in northern Wisconsin

Post  Veggie Tales 5/3/2012, 8:53 pm

Hello all,

Last year we bought this wonderful book written by an gentleman named Mel and have been bitten by the SFG BUG. My wife found this forum and has really gleened ALLOT of information. And I must thank you for posting pictures so she knew exactly what she wanted. Smile We have completed our boxes and will hopefully be filling them up with MM this weekend (weather permitting). We started seeds indoors and they are doing very well. We decided to do only heirloom seeds so that we can save seeds at the end of the year. We have a bit over 300 squares to fill, so it will be a busy summer. We love to can, freeze and give away goodies so we hope this goes well. We will try to post a few pictures as soon as we learn how to. We do want to thank everyone for the great information posted here!!!! It has truly helped us out.
Laughing

Veggie Tales
Veggie Tales

Back to top Go down

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin Empty Re: First time SFG in northern Wisconsin

Post  laufenberga 5/3/2012, 9:02 pm

Another WISCONSINITE Good luck with your huge SFG. Where in Northern WI are you from? I have family around the Land O Lakes area and visit there occasionally.

-Adam
laufenberga
laufenberga

Male Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin Empty Re: First time SFG in northern Wisconsin

Post  Veggie Tales 5/3/2012, 9:08 pm

We are in Ashland.... We moved here two years ago to be close to family. We love the Northwoods but we are a bit nervous about the short growing season up here. Lake Superior helps moderate temps a bit so that should help us out.
Veggie Tales
Veggie Tales

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/3/2012, 11:06 pm

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of answers here when you need to ask. Very helpful gardeners always ready to assist. Enjoy your gardening.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin Empty Our first attempt posting pictures...

Post  Veggie Tales 5/3/2012, 11:43 pm

This is the before picture... Two years ago we moved in and this was the back yard. Overgrown trees and huge arborvitae's.

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin Img_0218

After clearing things away we built a fence... We still have some to finish...

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin Img_1010

All but two boxes built...

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin Img_1125

Our pile that will turn into MM...

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin Img_1011

Right now the pile of good stuff is sitting on a mound of 3-6 inches of rocks and a nasty ground cover that would not go away.

Quiltbea... Thank you for the warm welcome Smile
Veggie Tales
Veggie Tales

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/4/2012, 12:53 am

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin 396615 I wish I had your big back yard to grow in! Shocked Of course, you're the one who has to fill ALL those boxes with MM now...but you'll be in business big-time once that's done! I look forward to seeing things growing in those boxes soon. Very Happy
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/4/2012, 11:25 am

Wow, I can't wait to see your garden up and running. You'll get lots of produce from those boxes. Good luck and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/4/2012, 1:20 pm

Wow, that's a lot of room to grow it! Can't wait to see it all green and bushy Smile
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  elysia 5/4/2012, 5:11 pm

Yes take pictures as time passes if you are able - excited to see a garden of such ambitious size! bounce Looks fatastic so far!
elysia
elysia

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 5/4/2012, 8:23 pm

Awesome ! Cant wait to see them filled
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  JennAndCompany 5/4/2012, 11:23 pm

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin 396615

Ashland is a beautiful area!

Your hard work WILL pay off! Also, I have learned from this forum that some compost mixes also sometimes include peat, so some people are ended up with MM that dries out faster than expected because it had more peat than expected. Just wanted to pass that along, it was a surprise to me.

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin 654548
JennAndCompany
JennAndCompany

Female Posts : 56

http://www.jennandcompany.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/5/2012, 7:28 am

Oh MAN! That is going to be a wonderful garden!! I love a blank canvas!! Very Happy

Last edited by camprn on 5/5/2012, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  brenda g 5/5/2012, 12:24 pm

WOW veggie tales, First time SFG in northern Wisconsin 657780 That is shaping up to be one fantastic garden -

I can't wait to see how it progresses!
brenda g
brenda g

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  Veggie Tales 5/5/2012, 9:02 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!!! We started filling our boxes today... And all I can say is it takes longer to fill than you would think. We did finish all of the floating boxes so we should be taking pictures as soon as the ones close to the fence are finished. If anyone new is setting up boxes I must recommend the cubic foot calculator on this website. It is looking like we will have the correct amount of MM. It is tricking estimating cubic feet when the package only goes by weight, but with a little luck and a great calculator it works very well. I would say there might be three secret ingredients that we didn't know is in the mix:

Blood, sweat and tears....

Well today just the first two Laughing

Thanks again for the warm welcome!!! We too enjoy looking at everyone’s gardens on the forum.
Veggie Tales
Veggie Tales

Back to top Go down

Post  Veggie Tales 5/5/2012, 9:10 pm

JennAndCompany,

Thanks for the Peat Moss warning. We used Hummus and we noticed when we received the bags it said Peat Hummus, so that is probably the case for that compost type. All the others looked good though.

So where in west central WI are you? We lived down in Menomonie for about 6 years.... We really enjoyed it down there also Very Happy
Veggie Tales
Veggie Tales

Back to top Go down

Post  JennAndCompany 5/8/2012, 1:07 am

Veggie Tales wrote:JennAndCompany,

Thanks for the Peat Moss warning. We used Hummus and we noticed when we received the bags it said Peat Hummus, so that is probably the case for that compost type. All the others looked good though.

So where in west central WI are you? We lived down in Menomonie for about 6 years.... We really enjoyed it down there also Very Happy
I have a friend with a nephew at Stout (freshman this year). I live in River Falls and love it here!

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin 833560
JennAndCompany
JennAndCompany

Female Posts : 56

http://www.jennandcompany.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 5/8/2012, 6:57 am

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin 61949 Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

First time SFG in northern Wisconsin WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Veggie Tales 5/15/2012, 11:21 pm

We wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome. We have started a posting in the garden showcase that continues our "veggie tales". First time SFG in northern Wisconsin 998388915
Veggie Tales
Veggie Tales

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/15/2012, 11:30 pm

Welcome, Veggie Tales; I reckon you have the right non-de-plume for this guest book.

You must be putting in a huge amount of work and I am sure you are going to be well rewarded. Did you used to do row gardening? You certainly seem to know what youa re doing, but then, you have done your homework.

Re; Blood, Sweat and Tears; I hope you do not have too many of the third item. First time SFG in northern Wisconsin 61949
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down