Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hardening off in SoCal? Toplef10Hardening off in SoCal? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hardening off in SoCal? I22gcj10Hardening off in SoCal? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hardening off in SoCal? Toplef10Hardening off in SoCal? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hardening off in SoCal? I22gcj10Hardening off in SoCal? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 11:14

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 11:00

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 8:19

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 20:22

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 20:14

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:50

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 22:13

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:49

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 5:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:33

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 6:26

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 10:43

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 20:40

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 19:28

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun 7 Apr 2024 - 8:41

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 19:30

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 13:08

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 11:58

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:24

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:09

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 4:50

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon 1 Apr 2024 - 15:05

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hardening off in SoCal?

4 posters

Go down

Hardening off in SoCal? Empty Hardening off in SoCal?

Post  Coelli Wed 2 May 2012 - 13:00

Noob here again. Very Happy

Although it's been cloudy and drizzly for a few days now I'm sure the hot sun will be back soon and am wondering how everyone transitions their seedlings to the outdoors here. Is it better to just plant the little guys and shade them during the afternoon?

I'm not at home during the day so doing the gradual hardening off isn't very practical unless a weekend will suffice.

Just wondering what others have done... I was intending to plant directly into the ground with a bunch of my seeds, but wound up having to stick a bunch of them in Jiffy pellets when my soil disaster became apparent, since they were already soaking. I tossed a bunch of them (waaah!) but here's what's cooking now in the pots:

Scotch Bonnet Pepper
Emerald Giant Bell Pepper
Mustard Habanero Pepper
Rainbow Chard
Vulcan Chard
Tall Telephone Peas
Brandywine Tomato
Red Grape Tomato
Tigger Melon
Honeydew Melon
Black Beauty Zucchini
Nasturtium

I lost the 4 kinds of carrots, the onions, the radishes, the marigolds.. Sad And the peas are questionable, they may have soaked for too long (plenty more seeds where those came from though).

I'm thinking the melons and zucchini and chard can go straight into the ground if they haven't sprouted yet by this weekend? I'll just take the netting off the pots and stick 'em in their squares (well, the zucchini is going into a 2x3 cement mixing tub). I know it's late in the year to be planting but thought I'd try anyway. Which reminds me, I need to start the pumpkins...

I was going to put the tomatoes and peppers under grow lights anyway but I'm unsure of how to transition them outside once they're ready. Uh.. when are they ready?

And here I thought gardening would be easy. Very Happy

Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Hardening off in SoCal? Empty Re: Hardening off in SoCal?

Post  givvmistamps Wed 2 May 2012 - 15:01

How high up in the hills are you? Is it cold at night (cooler than 50 degrees)? That will help answer your question.

I'm close to sea-level here, and it got hot (80-90 degree days, 50-60 degree nights) earlier in the year than normal, so I direct-seeded everything. I didn't even soak my seeds, by the way. I just stuck the seeds in the soil and kept the garden very moist until they sprouted, then watered normally. I'm having horrible luck with some of my herbs, but my veggies are doing fantastic!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli Wed 2 May 2012 - 15:13

givvmistamps wrote:How high up in the hills are you? Is it cold at night (cooler than 50 degrees)? That will help answer your question.

I'm close to sea-level here, and it got hot (80-90 degree days, 50-60 degree nights) earlier in the year than normal, so I direct-seeded everything. I didn't even soak my seeds, by the way. I just stuck the seeds in the soil and kept the garden very moist until they sprouted, then watered normally. I'm having horrible luck with some of my herbs, but my veggies are doing fantastic!

I think we're probably around 1500 feet? I haven't lived here that long so I am not sure. Smile It's been chilly lately and in the 50's at night.

Did you direct-seed tomatoes and peppers too?

I soaked the seeds mostly to try to speed up the sprouting. I'm impatient to see the little shoots!
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps Wed 2 May 2012 - 16:21

Unfortunately, I got started too late in the season to grow tomatoes or peppers from seed, so I bought starts for those. Everything else was direct-sown in the garden.

I'd say 50s at night is probably safe for your summer crops. You could cover them if the temperatures are going to dip much below that, although we had a cold front move through and the temperatures got down to 42 for two nights not long after I sowed my seeds and nothing bad happened. In fact, I had all my seeds sprout even with seeds intended for last year's growing season. Everything came up! (Except some of my darn herbs!) If it's still chilly during the day, the plants might start a little slower, but they'll start, and catch up once the heat hits.

By the way, considering how tall those Western "hills" can be, I'd say you're not very high up. Having grown up in Washington State, I laughed at the mountains of the East when I first saw them...I thought they were no bigger than foothills. If you want to know the elevation, there should be a website out there that could tell you what elevation your town/city is at. That will help you determine how much cooler it will be where you live compared to the temperatures you might see on an LA TV channel or radio station.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol Wed 2 May 2012 - 16:40

Set them outside in a shaded area for the first couple of days. While hardening off I put my seedlings under my tabletop bed next to the cinderblocks for the 1st couple of nights. Then I move them to an area where they will get some sun forat least a day or 2. Try to plant them in the evening or on a day that is going to be overcast or at least not hot.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper Wed 2 May 2012 - 20:06

Lindacol wrote:Set them outside in a shaded area for the first couple of days. While hardening off I put my seedlings under my tabletop bed next to the cinderblocks for the 1st couple of nights. Then I move them to an area where they will get some sun forat least a day or 2. Try to plant them in the evening or on a day that is going to be overcast or at least not hot.
+1

I was going say start with that and bring them in at night then leave them out all night then in the sun then plant. They should be ready by then. I too just direct seed everything and sometimes buy tomato plants locally because who has the patience to wait for them.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down