Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from the midwest Toplef10Hi from the midwest 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from the midwest I22gcj10Hi from the midwest 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from the midwest Toplef10Hi from the midwest 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from the midwest I22gcj10Hi from the midwest 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from the midwest

+3
sfg4uKim
givvmistamps
claudiamedic
7 posters

Go down

Hi from the midwest Empty Hi from the midwest

Post  claudiamedic 4/21/2012, 6:23 pm

Hi! I'm Claudia and I'm trying SFG for the first time this year. I've grown small gardens and tomato plants in containers in the past but not for several years. The main goal for our SFG is to provide a source of healthy, organic food for our family. Our situation is complicated by disabilities:affraid:, but we're determined to have a great time doing this...I'm so excited!
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Female Posts : 121

http://www.claudiasfamily.com

Back to top Go down

Hi from the midwest Empty Re: Hi from the midwest

Post  givvmistamps 4/21/2012, 6:42 pm

glad you\'re here

You're not the only person here who has disabilities to contend with. I have severe fibromyalgia, which complicates my efforts, but my husband and sons have been wonderful helpers! We're just getting started in SFG, so only have a few boxes and planters to start with. I already have plans to increase my garden next year.

There are a lot of experienced people here who answer questions for us newbies. We love pictures, so plan on posting them!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/21/2012, 6:47 pm

Hi from the midwest 61949 Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Hi from the midwest WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CCgirl75 4/21/2012, 10:35 pm

Hi from the midwest 396615
CCgirl75
CCgirl75

Back to top Go down

Hi from the midwest Empty Thanks for the welcome!

Post  claudiamedic 5/2/2012, 11:53 am

I'm so excited to be doing this, but living in the Midwest, surrounded by "experts" I'm finding that I'm running into lots of "you'll kill your plants using 5 types of manure".....I've read the threads here on soil analysis so I know that this is to be expected. I just need a little boost of confidence to stick to my guns. To complicate matters a bit, my son is doing his first 4-H project in gardening and the helper (he can't do it by himself...he's a young man with autism and Fragile X Syndrome) is a multi-generational farmer (and a wonderful person) who doesn't think SFG is the way to go. I'm thinking I'll let them do his plants in containers separate from mine and let them do what they feel is best. What do you all think?
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/2/2012, 1:42 pm

Welcome! It's nice to have another midwesterner here! Smile

Yep - living on some of the best natural soil there is definitely complicates matters when folks who farm for a living see SFG... Smile I'm right there in the corn belt with ya. Smile Not to mention, the older master gardeners who thought that non-organic chemicals made their plants look so much better...why would anyone not use them? Kinda like older smokers who started before anyone knew about the dangers of smoking... Smile (Can you tell I have one of those in my family? ...older Master Gardener I mean.... ) Smile

I think your approach is right on by doing your own SFG beds and having a setup where he can do his plants his way with your son. He's obviously kind enough to help so trying to forge a friendship seems easier than creating a hostile relationship.

I LOVE SFG and would never do anything else. I think it's the answer to more people eating better, hands down. I didn't have any experience and it was a perfect fit for my time, my space, and my needs. But, as Kim is wont to say, I'm not a Garden Nazi. I'm not going to deny that folks who have farmed their whole lives on large tracts of good land don't have something to offer as well. Smile

When I talk to people, I start slow and sort of make it out like hey...I don't farm... I want something I can learn more easily and manage and that will grow with me as I age. I also want to grow tomatoes in the vicinity of a black walnut because I have no other space...lol. Smile I try not to put them on the defensive but instead listen to what they have to say and apply it where I can. Sometimes, especially if they are older, they see the value in a garden that is easier to care for, etc. But it's just so different from what they know, it's hard for them to wrap their heads around it until they see it.

For you personally, follow the book, use the forum, and you will reap the benefits. If something isn't going right in the SFG, then use the forum and ask your farmer friends. They have to battle squash vine borers and deal with funky weather, too. Smile One of the major differences may come up if they are non-organic, but I usually just downplay it and say, hey...I'd like to try to see if I can be organic and see what happens...usually they'll just shake their heads and think you are crazy....but still talk to you... Smile But honestly, I can see where if you are trying to grow for market and you have an acre of broccoli, it's time consuming to go through it and pick off cabbage worms by hand and squish 'em. Smile (Guess what I did yesterday?)

I find that if I talk about the commonalities...how do YOU deal with pests, and what about that bolting lettuce? Smile...you might just forge a friendship and he might just come around and realize that BOTH ways are viable ways of producing food. That would be a great first step! okay
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/2/2012, 2:45 pm

Showing the sameness and differences in 2 comparable size beds and the final results sounds like a 4-H project all by itself.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/2/2012, 4:10 pm

Hi And Welcome Claudia!

I am in south central Iowa, talk about farmers! Hi from the midwest 889526 I have an ongoing arguement with a cousin here in town. I do sfg, he does row garden. BUT he has to add fertilizer and soil amendment and watch all that! I don't Hi from the midwest 889526 So he borrows my old tiller from my row garden days and I sit on his porch with a glass of tea and watch HIM sweat Hi from the midwest 889526 It is so fun!

But to be serious. I switched to sfg for my health. Row gardened all my life, but I had heard of the sf method. Finally my multiple sclerosis got the better of my weed pulling! To hot to weed and it would just get ahead of me! So in 2010 I had found the OLD book. I was using it but in a raised bed. I loved it! Found the forum and the next year I switched to Mel's mix for new beds. I love only taking a few min per bed to weed, water, and check my veggies. I take longer of course if I am harvesting the goodies.

Now this year I really get even with the cousin, he moved. No raised beds, no sun...no where to garden with the area a row garden needs. Stubborn man. I would have just took my boxes and mix with me and set up in the areas that had sun. I guess I will have to share with them so they get some fresh veggies lol...
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Hi from the midwest Empty Thanks!

Post  claudiamedic 5/2/2012, 8:38 pm

walshevak wrote:Showing the sameness and differences in 2 comparable size beds and the final results sounds like a 4-H project all by itself.

Kay

That's a great idea, Kay! Since we're new to 4-H (first year) I'm thinking we'll do my son's plants the traditional way and have this opportunity to see what all I need to learn this year. Praying that I can still do stuff next year (I have Lou Gehrig's disease but it is very slow-progressing compared to most) and thinking that might be an ideal project for him then!!

I've got my first "supervisor's sunburn." It was hot here in Indiana today! Thanks again for the encouragement!

Last edited by claudiamedic on 5/2/2012, 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : couldn't get photos to post... I'll try again later!)
claudiamedic
claudiamedic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down