Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's Toplef10Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's I22gcj10Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's Toplef10Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's I22gcj10Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's

+5
LaFee
scoobe
boffer
choksaw
bjwinterton
9 posters

Go down

Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's Empty Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's

Post  bjwinterton Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:16 pm

Okay, I'm new to Florida. I can garden in the evenings, however, I have been literally eaten alive! Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's Fresse Thirteen mosquito bites in 20 minutes, I finally had to go in the house. What do you Floridians do to keep the mosquito population down? I live in a country setting and the county doesn't spray. Then today, I was bitten by a horse fly. So, I sit in my house and stare out at my garden, make a mad dash to water it, and a mad dash to get back into the house while I still have an unbitten spot. Help, Help. Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's 601593 Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's 601593
bjwinterton

Back to top Go down

Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's Empty Re: Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's

Post  choksaw Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:16 pm

This is going to sound silly but plant some lemon grass in a few potted containers around your house and garden (lemon trees work well too) these plants give off an odor that mosquitos hate and they usualy stay away if you use any sort of bug spray pitch it the buggers down here see that as a dinner bell from my experience. also try not to have any standing water anywhere around your house those are havens to mosquitos to lay thier eggs and increase their ranks. Citronella candles/tiki torchs also work well to keep them away and are not nly for night time use. I know citronella is a plant but for the life of me i can find them anywhere if you could grow both lemon grass and citronella you would have a great deffense against them.

perfumes of any kind attract them
scented laundry soap and fabric softner attracts them
Scented showering products attracts them
Commericial bug sprays tell them pizza is here
i have heard of some people useing a lemon based skin conditioner/softner that seems to work well but i myslef have never tried it

Whatever you do, do not get suckered in to buying a mosquito plant they dont work as stated and everytime you want them to work you have to rub the leaves between your fingers in order to activate the plant scent. Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's Icon_biggrin

This is gonna sound a little gross but ive noticed that when i work all day and do my gardening befor i take a shower and wash off all the stink they dont even come near me so in actuality BO has a use other then repelling family friends and neighbors. good luck to you.

Oh and btw welcome to florida be warned you just moved into a state that was originaly a swamp with nice beachs we have bad mosquitos here Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's 889526
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's Empty choksaw

Post  boffer Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:40 pm

great post, thanks okay
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's Empty Re: Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's

Post  scoobe Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:57 pm

choksaw wrote:This is going to sound silly but plant some lemon grass in a few potted containers around your house and garden (lemon trees work well too) these plants give off an odor that mosquitos hate and they usualy stay away if you use any sort of bug spray pitch it the buggers down here see that as a dinner bell from my experience. also try not to have any standing water anywhere around your house those are havens to mosquitos to lay thier eggs and increase their ranks. Citronella candles/tiki torchs also work well to keep them away and are not nly for night time use. I know citronella is a plant but for the life of me i can find them anywhere if you could grow both lemon grass and citronella you would have a great deffense against them.

perfumes of any kind attract them
scented laundry soap and fabric softner attracts them
Scented showering products attracts them
Commericial bug sprays tell them pizza is here
i have heard of some people useing a lemon based skin conditioner/softner that seems to work well but i myslef have never tried it

Whatever you do, do not get suckered in to buying a mosquito plant they dont work as stated and everytime you want them to work you have to rub the leaves between your fingers in order to activate the plant scent. Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's Icon_biggrin

This is gonna sound a little gross but ive noticed that when i work all day and do my gardening befor i take a shower and wash off all the stink they dont even come near me so in actuality BO has a use other then repelling family friends and neighbors. good luck to you.

Oh and btw welcome to florida be warned you just moved into a state that was originaly a swamp with nice beachs we have bad mosquitos here Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's 889526

An addendum to what chocksaw has said. Mosquitoes are at their peeks at dawn and dusk. So try to get out in your garden earlier. Also it is not exactly the BO that repels mosquitoes, it is most likely your diet. For some reason they hate the oder emitted when you take most all B vitamins. I don't know why.
And I guess just give it some time. I don't even notice the little buggers any more. And don't normally get bitten either. Maybe 43 years down here in south east Florida will have that effect on you.
If I were you I would be more afraid of the gators and crocs. Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's Icon_eek
scoobe
scoobe

Male Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:24 am

Some folks swear by garlic tabs -- you can get some that don't make you stinky to other people, but the skeeters hate it. (and it's good for you - helps regulate cardiovascular function, they say).

Others swear by brewer's yeast tablets.

I hate to say it, but Deep Woods Off (with a little bit of DEET) really is the best stuff -- just make sure you shower after you use it.

I also used to buy a citronella-based repellant at Babies R Us when my young'un was little -- I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of it, but it worked fairly well -- had to reapply about one an hour, but it worked.

Skin-So-Soft isn't all that great for mozzies -- but it's the bomb for no-see-ums. Nice part is that it leaves your skin soft (skin so soft?) AND smells nice. I found that the original bath oil, cut with water about 2 parts water to 1 part SSS and put into a spray bottle worked best. I tried all the special SSS for insects and sun protection...but none of them worked as well as the original formula.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwinterton Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:08 am

If I were you I would be more afraid of the gators and crocs. Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's Icon_eek[/quote]

Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's 109486 Thanks, now I will be worried about the lake/swamp in the back yard. Florida is so beautiful, guess it had to have some draw backs so that EVERYONE wouldn't move here.

I'll try some of your suggestions.
bjwinterton

Back to top Go down

Post  memaku Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:14 pm

I like to use my treadmill on the back porch in the evenings. I do use the skin-so-soft, and have a fan going which helps keep the mosquitos away. I have trouble with the fire ants and not a fan of the palmetto bugs. But if you go out a little earlier, as one of the others said, the mosquitos shouldn't be so bad. Welcome to Florida. I'm a native!
memaku

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:29 pm

Memaku, you know why they're called palmetto bugs, I'm sure...!

Because Floridians just can't cope with the idea of a 6" cockroach. Hostag in my own home due to mosquito's Icon_geek

(for the non-Floridians, I wish that weren't true!)
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  memaku Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:33 pm

LOL! That is so true! They're just so disgusting - have never gotten used to them, and if I see one in the house, I can't go to sleep unless I've gotten it! Yuck!!!
memaku

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapp Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:16 pm

I found citronella plants at Lowe's last year (in DE, not sure if you'll find them in FL). My plant works wonders in the yard and my littlest son and I rub our hands on the plants leaves, get the oils going, and then rub our exposed skin -- it really works!!
Sapp
Sapp

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  Daylily13 Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Original antiseptic Listerine (or generic) is supposed to work, too. I believe you mix it with water and spray your grass, etc. (not yourself).

Google it to get the correct directions.
Daylily13

Female Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  SirTravers Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:39 pm

choksaw wrote:I know citronella is a plant but for the life of me i can find them anywhere

I found a source for the elusive Nardus Grass,
Citronella Grass, but it's on back order right now. Look at Top Tropicals Hopefully they'll have some in stock soon. Smile
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum