Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Columbus, GA Toplef10Hello from Columbus, GA 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Columbus, GA I22gcj10Hello from Columbus, GA 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Columbus, GA Toplef10Hello from Columbus, GA 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Columbus, GA I22gcj10Hello from Columbus, GA 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Columbus, GA

4 posters

Go down

Hello from Columbus, GA Empty Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  alphared1974 4/19/2012, 4:46 pm

Hello All!! I am brand new to SFG and super excited to see the outcome. It is basically trial and error as far as where I have things placed in my boxes, how to trellis them and the harvest I am going to reap. I am constantly "checking" on them as if they are going to grow faster the more times I go and visit them. Ha Ha. :-) I am looking forward to finding out a lot of interesting and new things. Thanks all and happy gardening!
alphared1974
alphared1974

Back to top Go down

Hello from Columbus, GA Empty Re: Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  georgiahomegarden 4/19/2012, 10:19 pm

alphared1974 wrote:Hello All!! I am brand new to SFG and super excited to see the outcome. It is basically trial and error as far as where I have things placed in my boxes, how to trellis them and the harvest I am going to reap. I am constantly "checking" on them as if they are going to grow faster the more times I go and visit them. Ha Ha. :-) I am looking forward to finding out a lot of interesting and new things. Thanks all and happy gardening!

Hello neighbor, good to have you here. I am pretty new to it too, if you have any questions let me know. Very Happy
georgiahomegarden
georgiahomegarden

Male Posts : 91

http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/20/2012, 12:21 am

Hello from Columbus, GA 396615 I'm your neighbor to the south. I'm new to SFG this year myself, and I'm having a blast watching all my seedlings come up and watching my kids get almost as excited as I do. Very Happy There are lots of people here who are very helpful to those of us getting started. They share their experience when we need it, and give us cheers when we have successes. Everyone loves photos, so get that camera going...especially when you need help with a problem.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/8/2012, 5:12 pm

welcome alphared1974 from someone also in Columbus Ga. This is my first year SFGing and gardening. I have found this to be THE source for gardening information on the internet. Altough there are plenty of places to get info that you know what to ask about; here you can get help with skin on it. Good luck with your garden I am looking forward to seeing your progress; this place LOVES pictures. We are in the "Lower South" area for the sake of this forum.

MikeHello from Columbus, GA 396615
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Hello from Columbus, GA Empty Hello from Columbus, GA

Post  Pepper 5/8/2012, 5:20 pm

opps forgot.....do your self a BIG FAVOR buy this book you will not regret it. It will take most of the mystery out of this garden journey

ANSFG 2006 edition by Mel Bartholomew ... means getting decent veg inspite of the attentions of the gardener , Wink

that is : All New Square Foot Gardening 2006 edition
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  georgiahomegarden 5/18/2012, 5:08 pm

Pepper wrote:welcome alphared1974 from someone also in Columbus Ga. This is my first year SFGing and gardening. I have found this to be THE source for gardening information on the internet. Altough there are plenty of places to get info that you know what to ask about; here you can get help with skin on it. Good luck with your garden I am looking forward to seeing your progress; this place LOVES pictures. We are in the "Lower South" area for the sake of this forum.

MikeHello from Columbus, GA 396615

How is your compost piles coming pepper?
georgiahomegarden
georgiahomegarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/19/2012, 12:08 am

lol! @ the compost piles/bales. The rains during the winter drowned them. I have not had the time to restart them. They took a back seat to bed set up and planting. I do have a bag of blood meal to kick start the "hottie" process soon as I get to them.

I have not been to your blog in quite the while so how is your garden growing? WOW just went to your blog your garden looks GREAT. I like the ground covers do they help with water retention? I would be concerned with over heating the soil.

I have been documenting mine on here ( https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t11910-newbe-sfg-in-georgia) keeping up both places is a bit much.

Good to hear from you
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  georgiahomegarden 5/26/2012, 1:47 pm

Pepper wrote:lol! @ the compost piles/bales. The rains during the winter drowned them. I have not had the time to restart them. They took a back seat to bed set up and planting. I do have a bag of blood meal to kick start the "hottie" process soon as I get to them.

I have not been to your blog in quite the while so how is your garden growing? WOW just went to your blog your garden looks GREAT. I like the ground covers do they help with water retention? I would be concerned with over heating the soil.

I have been documenting mine on here ( https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t11910-newbe-sfg-in-georgia) keeping up both places is a bit much.

Good to hear from you

I only used the ground covers in my pepper bed last year and I didn't notice any ill effects. I don't use them for water retention so much as weed prevention. It makes your beds pretty much weed free.

Your garden looks very nice, are those 2x8's or 2x10's. They look nice and strong. I wish I would have went with 2x8's instead of 2x6's when I built my area. Why don't you document your garden on your blogger blog? I would love to keep up with it since we live in the same town.
georgiahomegarden
georgiahomegarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/26/2012, 10:02 pm

Woa we live in the same town??? I did not know that, thought you were further north like south of Atlanta zone 7b or so I thought. We got to get together!!!

This is my first year, so far I have not had an issue with weeds. I can understand the bed covers. I guess from the pics I assumed they were plastic. Tell me more about them.

My beds are 2by12's dug in to level them or close to level(I listened to EG). They are all 4ft by 8 ft. I hope them being dug in will stop the grass from intruding. In fact I am adding two more. Been working this afternoon, got one box built, diging the sod out today not quite completed. After church tomorrow I hope to finish it, I will break the ground below to one shovel depth. I should be able to harvest my "tater tires" reuse the MM to fill the bed. Gotta have room to put in sweet potatoes and the misses wants lima beans. The next bed will have winter squash and.....
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  georgiahomegarden 5/27/2012, 1:33 pm

Pepper wrote:Woa we live in the same town??? I did not know that, thought you were further north like south of Atlanta zone 7b or so I thought. We got to get together!!!

This is my first year, so far I have not had an issue with weeds. I can understand the bed covers. I guess from the pics I assumed they were plastic. Tell me more about them.

My beds are 2by12's dug in to level them or close to level(I listened to EG). They are all 4ft by 8 ft. I hope them being dug in will stop the grass from intruding. In fact I am adding two more. Been working this afternoon, got one box built, diging the sod out today not quite completed. After church tomorrow I hope to finish it, I will break the ground below to one shovel depth. I should be able to harvest my "tater tires" reuse the MM to fill the bed. Gotta have room to put in sweet potatoes and the misses wants lima beans. The next bed will have winter squash and.....

Yeah, I thought you knew that since the thread was Hello From Columbus GA. Very Happy

2x12's huh, that is awesome. Since I used cedar for my beds I couldn't afford 2x12's and had to go with 2x6's. I still have pretty good luck with the 2x6's but wished I had something taller. The black stuff is just your standard black landscape fabric you get at Lowes or Home Depot. It is breathable and works pretty good.
georgiahomegarden
georgiahomegarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/27/2012, 3:09 pm

cedar wow I could not afford that either; in the 2by 12 size. Ok with the landscape fabric breathable that is why it does not heat up excessively. I will keep that one in mind.

Well I did think about your "neighbor" coment but was sure you were from a different climate zone from earlier blog posts. I had just thought you were being friendly using the "neighbor" genericly as 'close by'. I have not heard from the person who started this thread to yet.

I did get a wheelbarow load of grass clippings from a neighbor a few houses down that does not use anyadditives to their grass so will be restarting some compost bales shortly. Gotta head out to finish a bed shortly, so I will have some where to put the MM from the tater tires.

Give me a call or text.... later

Mike
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down