Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Moisture meters-experience to share? Toplef10Moisture meters-experience to share? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Moisture meters-experience to share? I22gcj10Moisture meters-experience to share? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Moisture meters-experience to share? Toplef10Moisture meters-experience to share? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Moisture meters-experience to share? I22gcj10Moisture meters-experience to share? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Moisture meters-experience to share?

+4
Theresa
timwardell
martha
boffer
8 posters

Go down

Moisture meters-experience to share? Empty Moisture meters-experience to share?

Post  boffer 4/7/2010, 12:05 pm

The suggestion to use one came up in another thread and got me wondering.

I bought one recently and am not trusting the results in Mel's mix. In 'regular' garden soil, I started with dry soil and measured, added some water and measured, and added some more water and measured. The meter results changed accordingly, as I expected them to.

But when I did the same thing in Mel's mix, I got different results. Regardless of water content, the meter readings were inconsistent and erratic, which renders the meter worthless. The meter measures a very small electrical current between two probes. I'm assuming the amount of air entrained in Mel's mix is what's throwing the readings off.

Anyhoo, has anyone else tried one?

(I should stop spending money on gizmos and accept that old school is sometimes the best ie. sticking my finger in the soil to the bottom of the box!)
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Moisture meters-experience to share? Empty Re: Moisture meters-experience to share?

Post  martha 4/7/2010, 12:07 pm

I have a really hard time staying away from gizmos, even though they have a low success rate. My guess is the Mel's mix is too friable for them to work.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Moisture meters-experience to share? Empty Re: Moisture meters-experience to share?

Post  timwardell 4/7/2010, 1:50 pm

Interesting point boffer... I use a moisture meter (held over from my days before Mel's Mix) and lately I've been questioning the results as well. My readings haven't been what I'd call erratic, but they do trend drier than what the finger method leads me to believe. I trust the meter, because I've had it for a while and know that it's readings in soil are accurate. However, I'm opting to use it as one tool in my toolbox instead of THE reference that it has been in the past. Nothing beats common sense.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  Theresa 4/10/2010, 3:12 pm

I used a similar gizmo for my hanging flower baskets, only mine didn't have a meter, it was a bird and the probes were the birds legs, when it needed water, the bird would sing. I would walk out onto the deck and hear the bird singing over 50 feet away. I have a hard time remembering to water the hanging baskets, so the little chirpy bird saved the lives of my flowers. I use Mel's mix in my hanging baskets and flower pots too.
Theresa

FOUNDER SFG forum 2009

certified SFG instructor

Female Posts : 211

Back to top Go down

Post  Ages 4/10/2010, 4:50 pm

Theresa wrote:I used a similar gizmo for my hanging flower baskets, only mine didn't have a meter, it was a bird and the probes were the birds legs, when it needed water, the bird would sing. I would walk out onto the deck and hear the bird singing over 50 feet away. I have a hard time remembering to water the hanging baskets, so the little chirpy bird saved the lives of my flowers. I use Mel's mix in my hanging baskets and flower pots too.

Ages likes this! Moisture meters-experience to share? 53366
Ages

Male Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Toastie 4/11/2010, 12:35 am

Mels Mix is made up of different materials and would throw off the calibration. I would guess the Vermy is messing with it since it is a non-organic item and the electrical conductivity may be differnet
Toastie

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/11/2010, 12:45 am

Theresa wrote: it was a bird and the probes were the birds legs

I tried going low tech, 'Wormie' changed colors as he dried out, not effective outside!

Moisture meters-experience to share? Wormie10
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Toastie 4/11/2010, 12:55 am

boffer wrote:
Theresa wrote: it was a bird and the probes were the birds legs

I tried going low tech, 'Wormie' changed colors as he dried out, not effective outside!

Moisture meters-experience to share? Wormie10
Just popped in my head, wonder if a sight glass would work, eh time for another round
Toastie

Back to top Go down

Post  Theresa 4/11/2010, 8:57 am

LOL...I've had the little wormie too...If I can see the little wormy is dried out, then I could just see the soil is dried out.

I think what saved me with the chirpy bird was hearing the bird singing gave me the wake up call that I needed to water.
Moisture meters-experience to share? HangingbasketMoisture meters-experience to share? Birdie
Theresa

FOUNDER SFG forum 2009

certified SFG instructor

Female Posts : 211

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 4/11/2010, 9:49 am

Toastie wrote:Mels Mix is made up of different materials and would throw off the calibration. I would guess the Vermy is messing with it since it is a non-organic item and the electrical conductivity may be differnet
Good point.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 4/11/2010, 9:49 am

Theresa wrote:I used a similar gizmo for my hanging flower baskets, only mine didn't have a meter, it was a bird and the probes were the birds legs, when it needed water, the bird would sing. I would walk out onto the deck and hear the bird singing over 50 feet away. I have a hard time remembering to water the hanging baskets, so the little chirpy bird saved the lives of my flowers. I use Mel's mix in my hanging baskets and flower pots too.
Where did you get your chirping bird sensor?
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 4/11/2010, 10:57 am

Hi,
I have planted common violets. I like them, even though they reproduce aggressively. I also have planted them because they are very sensitive to water. They are the first plant to wilt when the garden is drying out. If I see the violets start to wilt, then I know it is time to water the garden. I do well with low tech solutions.

Patty from Yorktown

Ps. I have a picture of my son at about age 2 chewing on one of those clay worms, dirt and all
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/11/2010, 11:15 am

Patty from Yorktown wrote:
Ps. I have a picture of my son at about age 2 chewing on one of those clay worms, dirt and all

LOL We had a wormie in a big planter in the house, till our Dalmatian chewed it up and spit it out!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/19/2013, 10:18 pm

Well, I can't share any experiences with moisture meters as I was only given one this afternoon, but I did probe my Wiggler Hilton and found the reading to be 8 on a scale of 0 to 10, so I am assuming it means 80%.
It is a very simple one: All it says on it is Moisture Meter M-320.
At this moment, on the computer in my kitchen the reading is 40.
It only has one probe, unlike the bird shown in one of the above postings.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down