Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
creating grids Toplef10creating grids 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

creating grids I22gcj10creating grids 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
creating grids Toplef10creating grids 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

creating grids I22gcj10creating grids 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

creating grids

+22
Nonna.PapaVino
TechnoHippie4351
AvaDGardner
H_TX_2
Unmutual
Too Tall Tomatoes
gwennifer
llama momma
hruten
Grandpop
plantoid
ericam
Turan
landarch
floyd1440
CarolinaGirl
doneal
kbb964
quiltbea
givvmistamps
WolfHeart
jevans
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

creating grids Empty creating grids

Post  jevans 4/18/2012, 5:54 pm

Is 1x2 cedar an ok choice in grid. I want to have weed fabric as a cover with slits for plants. I was then thinking of having 1/4" drip line placed on top. Any thoughts?
jevans
jevans

Male Posts : 27

Fishtell likes this post

Back to top Go down

creating grids Empty Re: creating grids

Post  WolfHeart 4/18/2012, 6:17 pm

I personally do not use the wood grid as Mel uses in his book. I use cotton twine/string and hooks on the edge boards to make my grid. I have so little a problem with weeds that I don't need a weed cover on top.

I can't speak to the drip system since I am still hand watering my three boxes.

Good luck with what ever you decide Very Happy
WolfHeart
WolfHeart

Male Posts : 159

http://wolfheart68.blogspot.com/

ccanade likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/18/2012, 6:18 pm

2" might encroach on your growing space. Is there any cedar available that's like 1"x1/2"?
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/18/2012, 6:24 pm

I don't use wood because of the loss of growing space. I use nylon tomato twine which will last thru the rains without rotting, so I can't help you, I'm sorry.

creating grids 04-10-14
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

ccanade likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/18/2012, 6:33 pm

Sorry I am no help either. I use Bright orange string ( it was in the shed and therefore paid for ) and some small eye hooks.
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

ccanade likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  doneal 4/18/2012, 8:10 pm

I used bright yellow-green nylon construction string, already had it in the storage shed. I made saw kerf’s in the edge of the 2 by about ¼ to ½ deep. Just tied a not on the end stretched it taut and tied another knot in the other end, just slipped down into the saw kerf. Here is a picture;

creating grids 4_x_4_11
doneal
doneal

Male Posts : 37

ccanade likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/18/2012, 8:13 pm

Looks like string is "in"! I use twine, since I already had it. Eventually I'll run out after replacing it over time...then I'll get nylon. This twine is too weak, so it breaks really easily.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolinaGirl 4/18/2012, 8:14 pm

I did't use wood either. I put in screws at the one foot markers and then just used cooking string I had in a drawer wrapped around each screw a few times and then across... wrap.. move down... wrap... across... Could do a whole bed and only tie off at two places. Also if a string breaks I can just undo a loop or two around the screw and I have enough to tie the string back together (which I've only had to do once in three weeks).
CarolinaGirl
CarolinaGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 4/18/2012, 8:48 pm

I didn't use wood the first year and used string as others have mentioned. But have upgraded to wood and it looks MUCH better.

Also used 1x2 wood and will put dowels in to hold them down for the summer and take them off in the late fall.

Grids don't make anything grow any better but I will send you pics tomorrow of string vs wood and you can decide

creating grids 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/18/2012, 9:50 pm

I would use something smaller as you would lose a fair amount of planting space using 2" wide grids. I bought the smallest, cheapest untreated slats I could find at Home Depot.

String would be very simple...and maximize planting area.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/18/2012, 10:00 pm

I use onions and garlic Embarassed
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  jevans 4/18/2012, 10:43 pm

Thanks all for your informative comments! I'm just starting to mix mels mix so I'll ponder it for a while. This too is my first sqare foot garden and I'm excited to get going!Very Happy
jevans
jevans

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 4/19/2012, 5:28 am

Not sure if you guys get them there but I used the plastic coated tomato stakes to make a grid for my box. Just cut them to length, tied them together with wire and then sprayed them white for a high visibility grid, I figured the green would blend in too much!

They don't take up as much room as timber and won't have to be replaced regularly like string. But then I know some of you prefer the string because you have to shut down over winter and it's easy to remove and do bed maintenance but I don't have that issue in my temperate climate.
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/19/2012, 6:01 am

givvmistamps wrote:Looks like string is "in"! I use twine, since I already had it. Eventually I'll run out after replacing it over time...then I'll get nylon. This twine is too weak, so it breaks really easily.

Michelle ,

I've been using neoprene rubber 1/8 inch thick to make the grids and placed the anchor tag inside the boxes.

Last night I realized that the neoprene ruibber might not last too many years and came up with this idea using garden strimmer / grass whip nylon line as it is tough as old boots and is cheap ...yes CHEAP & does not die in the first season .

I've drilled three holes in the top of an 8 inch long seed marker tag , two just a bit bigger than the line and one in between the two small holes three times as big and threaded the line through ..it's easy to adjust as well , any spare line that you may have & like to retain can be wrapped around one of the markers ..

Like the neoprene one's I've used in my beds they do not have to be exactly /directly against the walls of the box either an inch or so short will still give the general outline of the squares .

Should you want to take them out at anytime it's a simple case of pull them up and wind the line around the pair of tags

creating grids Glassceleryandbeds023

creating grids Glassceleryandbeds027
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/19/2012, 6:15 am

jevans wrote:Is 1x2 cedar an ok choice in grid. I want to have weed fabric as a cover with slits for plants. I was then thinking of having 1/4" drip line placed on top. Any thoughts?

You might like to think of making the weed supressor fabric into 13 inch square then pegging it down at each corner with gal wires instead of a big 4 x 4 foot square with slots as it will be more manageable and can be removed as your root crops get growing and need harvesting.

You can also then have a varied number of pre marked cut squares of 5 , 9 & 16 holes /slots to play with that can be moved around as you develop the beds/beds. One big sheet per ANSFG will restrictg your planning for sowing and planting quite severely.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  jevans 4/19/2012, 7:45 am

Thanks Plantoid, great point! I'll cut out individual squares and make the slits ahead of time for the plants. Sweet!!Very Happy
jevans
jevans

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandpop 4/19/2012, 3:02 pm

WolfHeart wrote:I personally do not use the wood grid as Mel uses in his book. I use cotton twine/string and hooks on the edge boards to make my grid. I have so little a problem with weeds that I don't need a weed cover on top.

I can't speak to the drip system since I am still hand watering my three boxes.

Good luck with what ever you decide Very Happy

I have one of Mel's grids but found that string is a lot cheaper and works just as well. (Sorry, Mel!) creating grids 3170584802
Grandpop
Grandpop

Male Posts : 79
Location : Newbern, TN, 7A, Extreme West Tn. - 15 Miles from Miss. River.

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandpop 4/19/2012, 3:08 pm

quiltbea wrote:I don't use wood because of the loss of growing space. I use nylon tomato twine which will last thru the rains without rotting, so I can't help you, I'm sorry.

creating grids 04-10-14

Are you using your grid to play croquet? Very Happy
Seriously, what do you use the odd looking white things for? thinking
Grandpop
Grandpop

Male Posts : 79
Location : Newbern, TN, 7A, Extreme West Tn. - 15 Miles from Miss. River.

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/19/2012, 3:15 pm

plantoid wrote:
givvmistamps wrote:Looks like string is "in"! I use twine, since I already had it. Eventually I'll run out after replacing it over time...then I'll get nylon. This twine is too weak, so it breaks really easily.

Michelle ,

I've been using neoprene rubber 1/8 inch thick to make the grids and placed the anchor tag inside the boxes.

Last night I realized that the neoprene ruibber might not last too many years and came up with this idea using garden strimmer / grass whip nylon line as it is tough as old boots and is cheap ...yes CHEAP & does not die in the first season .

I've drilled three holes in the top of an 8 inch long seed marker tag , two just a bit bigger than the line and one in between the two small holes three times as big and threaded the line through ..it's easy to adjust as well , any spare line that you may have & like to retain can be wrapped around one of the markers ..

Like the neoprene one's I've used in my beds they do not have to be exactly /directly against the walls of the box either an inch or so short will still give the general outline of the squares .

Should you want to take them out at anytime it's a simple case of pull them up and wind the line around the pair of tags

creating grids Glassceleryandbeds023

creating grids Glassceleryandbeds027

That looks like the stuff kids braid to make bracelets out of! We have a ton of it in the craft closet...hmmmmm....I may have to raid the craft closet since the boys never got into braiding the stuff! What a Face
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/19/2012, 3:18 pm

Another cheap method of marking squares I just thought of yesterday is getting bamboo sticks and tying them together. You can get a six-pack of bamboo for around $2 locally. Bamboo is durable, and I think it'd be kind of pretty. Using the stuff Plantoid came up with, it'd last a long time without having to re-tie it together, too.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/19/2012, 4:14 pm

Bamboo tends to split after while and make fantastic homes for all sorts of bug that are " Public enemy No 1 " to your plants and beds
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

creating grids Empty construction string

Post  hruten 4/19/2012, 4:34 pm

I know a lot of people mentioned string, but I'm not sure this was brought up. I use construction string. It is cheap and found in the tool section of your local hardware/big box store. I used neon pink, but it comes in several EASY to see shades (pink, green, yellow, blue). It's nylon and works well just wrapped around some small brads I had in the fastener bin. It will also stand up to the elements and probably be reusable ( 1st time SFGer)
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/19/2012, 5:01 pm

I use cedar shims. Turn them on their side and push it in. One end is tapered almost paper thin and can easily be snapped to fit. If I want to add a bunch of compost all at once, just lift the pieces then put it back. It comes in a bundle at Home Depot, think around $3.00(?) Once the plants grow you can't tell that the squares aren't perfectly straight. You can see the shims full size to the right of the box. I love it cause the cedar does last, it is rediculously low tech, there are no screws, nails, or tools to fuss with. And just about every inch of available growing space is used.
creating grids Gina_s26
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 4/19/2012, 5:02 pm

Grandpop wrote:
quiltbea wrote:I don't use wood because of the loss of growing space. I use nylon tomato twine which will last thru the rains without rotting, so I can't help you, I'm sorry.

creating grids 04-10-14

Seriously, what do you use the odd looking white things for? creating grids 601593

Oh I can answer that! quiltbea has shown us before how she bends open old wire clothes hangers to use as mini hoops. She uses clothes pins to secure cheese cloth to the hangers. Then she can cover just a square or two, wherever she needs to. Cool huh?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/19/2012, 5:05 pm

Grandpop wrote:

creating grids 04-10-14

Seriously, what do you use the odd looking white things for? thinking

Croquet!!!! GrandPop thanks for my laugh of the day creating grids 3170584802 But if I recall correctly, she wisely uses those to drape a cover over the plants.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum