Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 Toplef10Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 I22gcj10Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 Toplef10Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 I22gcj10Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening.

+24
Coelli
southern gardener
ScottInGuam
CindiLou
llama momma
rod champion
B00kemdano
jkahn2eb
No_Such_Reality
Too Tall Tomatoes
FamilyGardening
givvmistamps
TejasTerry
plantoid
Chopper
elliephant
CharlesB
littlesapphire
littlejo
Hoggar
TN_GARDENER
Lindacol
camprn
Cincinnati
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 Empty Re: Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening.

Post  B00kemdano 4/18/2012, 8:45 pm

I use a 2 gallon watering can that I fill from my rain barrels. I rather enjoy the 20 min or so that it takes me to water my 50ish sq ft.

But then again.... I have toddlers... Shocked
B00kemdano
B00kemdano

Male Posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 Empty Re: Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening.

Post  rod champion 4/18/2012, 8:54 pm

how about some mulch to deep moisture in...
rod champion

Male Posts : 125

http://www.southholstonriverflyshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati 4/20/2012, 1:03 pm

plantoid wrote:.. don't water tthe whole square or the whole bed ..

It's in pages 137 to 141 of the ANSFG book 2006 edition.

I don't remember Mel recommending a moisture meter. I do remember him recommending watering only those plants that look like they need it. I never thought that if you plant 4 or 9 per square that you would not water the entire square but rather an individual plant.

Mel said to observe the plants, and water when they look like they need it. I think it better for food production to not wait until a plant starts to wilt to water it. I observe the soil daily. When it has reached a stage of "just about bone dry", I water. At that point, air has infiltrated the soil, giving Oxygen to the roots and organisms in the soil, and it's time for more water.

Mel does say that his "soil" dries much more quickly than regular dirt.
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 4/20/2012, 3:28 pm

2/3 of the way done with hooking up my drip systems... lots of 1/4" lines coming off the 1/2 inch line. My thumbs are scraped and sore from installing so many of those buggers. But got the timer and valves working which is a big plus!
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/20/2012, 3:45 pm

B00kemdano wrote:I use a 2 gallon watering can that I fill from my rain barrels. I rather enjoy the 20 min or so that it takes me to water my 50ish sq ft.

But then again.... I have toddlers... Shocked

Agree, I have 80 sq ft and with my padded footstool I sit and water cup by cup and get a good look at the progress of everything. The last box is a tabletop and nothing's easier than standing there too. For quicker watering times I put the hose nozzle on gentle spray and I'm done with everything in no time.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/20/2012, 10:13 pm

I use the cup method mostly. Makes me slow down and see what is going on. The watering can is something I keep handy for such as onions and garlic..need to water the whole square for that. I have a rain wand for when we have been low on rain. I have enough hose to run to the beds, but my water bill would go sky high lol..so dont use that often.

The best method I have found for watering is a 5 yr old Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 889526 ! He will haul can after can "need to water, NaNa".. Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 889526
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottInGuam 4/21/2012, 8:30 am

where is the thumbs up button for that one?!? Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 3170584802
ScottInGuam
ScottInGuam

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 2/28/2013, 4:19 pm

I'm having problems watering too. The water is just going straight down, not spreading out to water. It's taking so long to water one box, it's crazy. The soil under the mm seems to wick the water down. We've tried soakers, sprayers, same problem...anyone else?
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 2/28/2013, 8:15 pm

I just want to second, third, tenth the suggestion to install drip irrigation. It's not difficult to do or very expensive and saves SO MUCH TIME. Last year I just did soaker hose, but since I rebuilt the beds this year I'm installing multi-stream bubblers between each square lengthwise. I have one 3x12 box done and the multi-stream bubblers give more than enough coverage to saturate the squares. The problem I had with the soaker hose was it felt like the middle of the squares stayed dry (especially here in SoCal, where it gets HOT and the beds are thirsty).

I have the system hooked up to a timer and it's connected to my hose faucet. I love the garden but with so many other commitments, reducing the amount of time spent watering was crucial.
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 3/1/2013, 5:50 am

I don't just garden for my household, but also for my husband's parents and grandmother (who live next door) and my mother. Even doing SFG, that means a larger garden. We're installing a drip irrigation system this year. Watering with a wand or sprinkler system caused problems last year for us, in the form of powdery mildew. Watering this large of a garden by hand isn't realistic. I can spend more time with my plants by letting the timed irrigation system handle with watering, especially since I work 2 jobs. Smile
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 Empty Self-Watering Containers

Post  Hardcoir 3/1/2013, 11:07 am

Watering and weeding were the two reasons I did not expand for years. SFG basically ended weeding problems, but I still hated going outside to water at 4:30 to 5:30 AM.

Since we can have days and days of plus 100-degree temperatures and temperatures that stay above 95 from 9AM until 9PM, it was the only way to keep crops alive.

Then, when we discovered self-watering containers, it made life so much easier. If you do it right, through intensive methods and using Mel's mix, you can harvest more per square foot with self-watering containers than any other method. At the present time, I am even growing lettuce and parsley indoors in self-watering containers under strong grow lights. It's amazing how fast they are growing, and by adding a little extra to Mel's Mix, I am also squeezing in more per square foot. I cannot wait to see the results in the outdoor containers.

There are many simple plans online that will show you how to make your own self-watering containers, or you can buy them at garden centers. I have used 5-gallon buckets, epsom salt buckets, and Rubbermaid totes to make our containers, and aside from the lack of aesthetic beauty, which I really don't care that much about, it will extend our harvest by 50-75% (I hope).

Do a youtube search for self-watering containers, and you will get several different methods. Most are relatively easy. If I can do it with 10 thumbs, then anybody can.
Hardcoir
Hardcoir

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/1/2013, 5:24 pm

Check this out

http://permaculturenews.org/2011/06/20/from-the-bottom-up-a-diy-guide-to-wicking-beds/

Granddaughters school project

Watering time is sucking the fun out of gardening. - Page 2 Img_2010

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 3/1/2013, 6:55 pm

I love the mini garden & cover. It is simply adorable!
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2