Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Disease ID help Toplef10Tomato Disease ID help 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Disease ID help I22gcj10Tomato Disease ID help 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Disease ID help Toplef10Tomato Disease ID help 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Disease ID help I22gcj10Tomato Disease ID help 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Disease ID help

+6
Hoggar
givvmistamps
AvaDGardner
camprn
Ha-v-v
D Player
10 posters

Go down

Tomato Disease ID help Empty Tomato Disease ID help

Post  D Player 4/10/2012, 4:58 pm

Hi all,
I was hoping to get some help identifying what this problem may be with my tomato plants. I’ve seen this before, but never so early in the season. It seems to be on every plant, I have seven different varieties and grew them from seeds in sterile soil. We had a lot of rain recently and then this. Any ideas? Thanks.

[img]Tomato Disease ID help 100_6211[/img]
D Player
D Player

Male Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Tomato Disease ID help Empty Re: Tomato Disease ID help

Post  D Player 4/10/2012, 5:09 pm

It doesn't look like the images of early blight. So I'm kinda at a loss.
D Player
D Player

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 4/10/2012, 5:53 pm

Some times lots of rain throws me off too. If these were my tomatoes I would trim any extra leaves not necessary to the plant. I would give them all a side dressing of compost and a sprinkle of epsom salts or epsom salts in a pump sprayer for a foliar (sp) spray on them. I prefer to just put it next to the plant Im lazy :-D I never measure, I put maybe a tablespoon next to each plant so when I water it melts into the soil.

Epsom Salts in the Garden http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/garden/#

I keep a couple of bags of epsom salts in my garden at all times Smile

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/10/2012, 7:46 pm

This to me just looks like splatter of water onto the leaves and perhaps sunscald. I see no signs of blight, it doesn't really look like chlorosis. can you give us a photo of the growing tips? I see blooms! Very Happy

There are numerous threads from the past two years about tomato diseases and conditions. Use the search feature to find some of them. Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Tomato Disease ID help WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/10/2012, 9:10 pm

@D Player...you'll find a more successful search results if you use the search controls at the bottom of the column to the left of this reply
<<----
Just scroll down past all the Latest Topics.

The upper search puts you in google with all kinds of results. The bottom one keeps you in the forum.

Tomato Disease ID help 396615 to the forum!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  D Player 4/10/2012, 9:57 pm

Thanks guys,
I'll check it out.
@camprn growing tips look fine, blooms are coming out nicely, it's the older leaves that have this. Thanks again for the help!
D Player
D Player

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/10/2012, 10:10 pm

D, Good to hear new growth sounds fine... I was looking at the pic again.... still not sure what I am looking at, but my gut is telling me, if those were mine, I would remove the effected stems...and throw them in the trash, not the compost.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Tomato Disease ID help WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/11/2012, 1:42 am

You might want to take them to the AG extension office. They can ID it for you and tell you what to do.
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  D Player 4/12/2012, 12:49 pm

Tomato Disease ID help 100_6212

Here's a pic of the new growth.
Trimmed off all the problem leaves. Added some epsom salt, figured it couldn't hurt. If the problem persist I'll try the AG extension office. I'll report back later, hopefully with good news.

Thanks again all.
D Player
D Player

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/12/2012, 12:57 pm

Hey, it looks great now! cheers cheers cheers

I have to ask, what did you put around it to support it? I have to find a solution this afternoon and this looks like it'll fit in my tomato planters.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  D Player 4/12/2012, 1:06 pm

That would be recycled fencing. Cheaper and sturdier than typical tomato cages.
It's similar to chicken wire that's plastic coated.
Cut and folded into shape. They are only about 4 ft high, I usually have to stake them as well, they are all indeterminate.
D Player
D Player

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/12/2012, 1:16 pm

Bummer, wish I knew where to find fencing to recycle.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  D Player 4/12/2012, 1:28 pm

Neighbors?
D Player
D Player

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 4/12/2012, 1:36 pm

Just a thought....
I agree with camprn.
After the rain did it get warm and sunny?
It certainly looks like sun scald to me, the sun focused by
the rain drops like a magnifying glass can do nasty things
to plant leafs and car paint jobs.
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/12/2012, 1:42 pm

D Player wrote:Neighbors?

Nobody we know has anything laying about the yard that would work. So, buy something I must!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  D Player 4/12/2012, 2:41 pm

@ Hoggar I believe it did, hope that's what it is. I water through a drip system so it's not my doing. Time will tell.
Thanks for the input.
D Player
D Player

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 4/12/2012, 4:06 pm

Not sure, maybe phosphorus deficient. Looks like you have it solved, but here is my favorite troubleshooting page for those browsing...

http://www.haifa-group.com/knowledge_center/crop_guides/tomato/plant_nutrition/nutrient_deficiency_symptoms/
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Tomato Disease ID help Empty My turn for tomato problems :(

Post  givvmistamps 5/12/2012, 12:34 pm

I can't tell if I have a disease, deficiency, or just stressed tomatoes trying to recover from a hailstorm almost a week ago. This is mostly on the older leaves, particularly those large leaves that were hit by first leaf miners (I squished them per instructions I found somewhere) then by the hailstorm which damaged larger leaves throughout my garden. If I cut off all my damaged leaves, the plants would only have small, new leaves, so I had left some that didn't look as bad. All the larger, older leaves I left on the affected plants to help them with photosynthesis needs now look like this, though this is the worst example:

Tomato Disease ID help 7182567276_1f446f78a4

Someone help me decide what to do, please? Feed them, cut off damaged leaves entirely, whatever. I need to do something so I don't lose the little harvest chances I have before they quit producing due to the extreme heat of our summers; I have loads of blossoms and quite a few tomatoes growing. Here is an overall look at affected plants:

Tomato Disease ID help 7182561390_eecc9d4d94

Tomato Disease ID help 7182553966_f178422402

Tomato Disease ID help 7182547426_be00af41f9

Tomato Disease ID help 7182523756_05caef839d

I'm also trying to decide if I should start new tomato plants from seed for the fall...if these are struggling so much now, I'm concerned they won't make it through the summer heat to begin producing again when the temperatures drop. Any input on that?
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 5/12/2012, 3:00 pm

Frst question would be ...what variety is that ?

You may have a combination of issues. I can see the hail damage, but I also see "trails" (from insects larvae).

Cut off the bad stuff and dispose of it somewhere away from the garden.

If you go out at night with a flashlight, I suspect you'll see whats causing that (look for whtiish moths and larve crawling). A little seven dust at the base of the plant (or something more earth friendly), will fix that right up (leafcutters).

Honestly, your plants ont look that bad. I don't think there is a need to "jump ship" and start looking towards fall for a harvest.

As much as folks think tomatoes "self grow" in Zone 9 .... there is hardly a day that we aren't fighting something on our toms (bud, fungus, virus) ..... so I don't think yours look to "sickly" to produce decent fruit.

acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/12/2012, 4:03 pm

Not sure, maybe phosphorus deficient. Looks like you have it solved, but here is my favorite troubleshooting page for those browsing...

http://www.haifa-group.com/knowledge_center/crop_guides/tomato/plant_nutrition/nutrient_deficiency_symptoms/

Thanks for the link Squat. I found out that my partial yellowing of new leaves is an iron deficiency from looking at you link.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/12/2012, 7:43 pm

Thanks for responding, acara. As far as what types they are, the 1st 2 are the same plant, a Husky Cherry Red hybrid. Third & fourh are Romas, and fifth is a Heatmaster hybrid.

I did as you suggested, cutting off the leaves that are affected, and now my tomato plants look more like strange bonsais, especially the cherry tomato. Hope they take the hint and grow new, healthy leaves soon.

I definitely need to find an organic alternative to Seven, as the whole reason I'm growing my own is to protect myself and my family from all the chemicals used on foods at the grocery. Right now I have neem oil and Organocide by Organic Laboratories, Inc. I'll have to find out if one of those might work, otherwise I'll have to visit the store tomorrow.

I certainly don't expect my garden to be problem-free, but I was concerned because this was affecting all of the large, older leaves. The thing is, I've never grown anything successfully in FL. I did pretty well in VA and the mountains of NC, but it's a good 10*F hotter here, at the very least, and I had to start in early April due to circumstances in my family. I keep reading that tomatoes can't self-pollinate when temperatures are too high, but I'd really like to have some sort of harvest before the non-hybrid plants that aren't heat-tolerant (four Romas, 2 of which aren't pictured above) shut down production until the fall. I did have my husband move them to where they'll get morning sun, then dappled sun in the afternoons. Hopefully that will help.

This is my "learning summer". Next year I'll be planting a lot more of everything, so I want to learn as much as possible so I know what to look for when I have a garden that's at least 3x as big.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 5/12/2012, 8:48 pm

Unfortunately, my experience with Neem oil has been that it's a great "preventative", but I've never been able to "cure" anything with it.

I apply the Neem weekly, as soon as I get them in the ground, but switch to something else, if they do develop something.

As far as the trimming goes ... as long as its an indeterminate, go nuts ...... I prune my almost daily & its never affected my production.
The only thing you have to be careful of on the larger varieties is once they set fruit, you need to leave some foliage around them to protect from sun-scald.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 5/13/2012, 6:04 am

givvmistamps wrote:Thanks for responding, acara. As far as what types they are, the 1st 2 are the same plant, a Husky Cherry Red hybrid. Third & fourh are Romas, and fifth is a Heatmaster hybrid.

I did as you suggested, cutting off the leaves that are affected, and now my tomato plants look more like strange bonsais, especially the cherry tomato. Hope they take the hint and grow new, healthy leaves soon.

I definitely need to find an organic alternative to Seven, as the whole reason I'm growing my own is to protect myself and my family from all the chemicals used on foods at the grocery. Right now I have neem oil and Organocide by Organic Laboratories, Inc. I'll have to find out if one of those might work, otherwise I'll have to visit the store tomorrow.

I certainly don't expect my garden to be problem-free, but I was concerned because this was affecting all of the large, older leaves. The thing is, I've never grown anything successfully in FL. I did pretty well in VA and the mountains of NC, but it's a good 10*F hotter here, at the very least, and I had to start in early April due to circumstances in my family. I keep reading that tomatoes can't self-pollinate when temperatures are too high, but I'd really like to have some sort of harvest before the non-hybrid plants that aren't heat-tolerant (four Romas, 2 of which aren't pictured above) shut down production until the fall. I did have my husband move them to where they'll get morning sun, then dappled sun in the afternoons. Hopefully that will help.

This is my "learning summer". Next year I'll be planting a lot more of everything, so I want to learn as much as possible so I know what to look for when I have a garden that's at least 3x as big.

What about Pyola

Bill
mrwes40
mrwes40

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/13/2012, 12:05 pm

Well, I tried the Organocide. I'll keep a close eye on the leaves and if it's not working, I'll look at Pyola (thanks for the suggestion Bill) and other possible remedies. I don't like using anything unless I have to because I'm afraid of killing off my many garden spiders and other beneficial insects. Not sure how this will affect my toads or skinks, either.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down