Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? Toplef104 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? I22gcj104 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? Toplef104 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? I22gcj104 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help?

+9
HereIGrowAgain
Furbalsmom
AvaDGardner
Too Tall Tomatoes
littlejo
Turan
camprn
quiltbea
gwennifer
13 posters

Go down

4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? Empty 4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help?

Post  gwennifer 4/7/2012, 12:35 pm

Okay folks, first time growing lettuce here. I've saved four squares right on the edge of my SFG for my salad squares, but I have six varieties of lettuce that I purchased seeds for, and I want to try them all:

• Valmaine (Romaine)
  • Simpson Elite (Loose-Leaf)
  • Red Iceburg (Crisphead)
  • Tom Thumb (Butterhead)
  • Red Sails (Loose-Leaf)
  • Salad Bowl (Oak Leaf)

From reading, I've figured out that at least the two loose-leaf ones can be harvested in a cut-and-come again manner. Not sure if Salad Bowl and Romaine work the same way? And I'd like to see the two head types actually come to a head, so I just leave those alone right? And would stagger plant them so I don't have eight heads of lettuce all ready to harvest at once?

I would really appreciate recommendations on a planting scheme, since I'll need to combine some varieties within the squares to get them to all fit.

4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? 109486
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? Empty Re: 4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help?

Post  quiltbea 4/7/2012, 12:46 pm

I would put the looseleaf ones in a shallow pot so you can cut and come again several times, leaving the other squares for those you want to grow to full size.

John on GrowingYourGreens videos mentioned using the plant trays one gets when buying plants at nurseries as growing pots. I'm doing that for lettuces this year. They don't need a deep root and the 3 1/2 or 4" of depth works fine for lettuces. If you have any around, try it. I have some trays with drainage holes that I put under the lights inside another tray without holes. Those with drainage holes work just fine, too.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? Empty Re: 4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help?

Post  gwennifer 4/7/2012, 7:20 pm

Oh thanks Quiltbea, that's something to think about. Right now I want to use those squares up and keep everything in the SFG bed. I'm sure I can do a couple of squares half and half with two varieties so I can fit them all in. Just hoping someone with experience on the growth habits can recommend which varieties to pair together.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/7/2012, 7:44 pm

I just mix them all up in the square... Rolling Eyes or build another box Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/7/2012, 8:36 pm

Red Sails and Simpson and oakleaf all grow together well. I mix them and then sprinkle in a square for cut and come again salad greens.
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2619

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 4/7/2012, 9:44 pm

Red Iceburg is prob. the hardest to grow but your area may be fine. I'd put it in opposite corners of sq and put 1 of the leaf kinds in the other 2 corners. Tom thumb is my favorite. It gets crispy in the fridge after washing! It grows about 4 in. accross, 2 in tall. You cut the whole head to eat. If you cut the head instead of pulling the plant, it will grow back. It only yields about enough lettuce for 1 person per head. I'd put it in opposite corners with leaf styles in corners. I'd do the same with the romaine. This way you can try them all and can add more of the ones you like in the fall. Lettuce likes to be crowded, especiallly the Tom Thumb.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/7/2012, 10:27 pm

This reminds me that I should plan on having a few different varieties of lettuces in my boxes. Unless, like quiltbea suggested, I have the lettuces planted in pots.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/8/2012, 9:57 am

My reason for having lettuce in a couple of pots was so I could keep them growing near my kitchen doorway. My SFG garden is up a hill behind the house and I didn't want to have to go there each time I wanted something for the table. With lettuce and herbs in pots near the kitchen, I just take my scissors out the door and cut away happily at mealtime.

4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? 05-01-13

5/1/2011 some of my lettuces by the kitchen.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/8/2012, 12:06 pm

Wicked good thinkin' QB!!!! Wink I think I will do the same. That way I can plant a few more squares of spinach or chard that I plan on freezing .

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/10/2012, 8:44 pm

Another thing to keep in mind...

If you are going to cut & come again, they heads are not going to reach full size. Therefore, you can plant them closer (I use about 5" between loose leaf lettuces). You'll probably be able to plant all of them in the squares you have if you plan well!

Turan's info about planting the head lettuce in the corners is a good one to keep in mind!

You can also tuck lettuce into squares where there is a tall leafy something growing, and it will give it shade. Squat Johnson has a thread where he used lettuce among his cole crops. His lettuces are FAR bigger than mine, because we like baby leaf lettuce!

Let us know what you do!

(I just saw this on my card...some of the lettuces, today, in 6" wide strip. You can see how close they are. The little on on the right is a recent transplant for one that collapsed.)
4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? 17_let10
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/10/2012, 10:12 pm

Gwennifer, last year I planted two varieties of leaf lettuce in each square. I pick the outer leaves so the plant never gets very big, so I actually put 16 seedlings in each 12 inch square. (I know that is too many) But, they did really well despite my craziness.

This was my Sunset and Mottistone on 6/11/114 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? Sunset10
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  HereIGrowAgain 4/10/2012, 10:25 pm

Hmmm...I've got a few partial squares left that aren't occupied. Maybe I should plant a bit of leaf lettuce. No use wasting space that's already prepared.
HereIGrowAgain
HereIGrowAgain

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/11/2012, 7:38 am

HereIGrowAgain wrote:Hmmm...I've got a few partial squares left that aren't occupied. Maybe I should plant a bit of leaf lettuce. No use wasting space that's already prepared.

+1

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 4/11/2012, 10:46 am

I have thrown lettuce seeds everywhere this year. Along the edge of the squares where I have peas, in planters intermixed with carrots, in planters I plan on using for summer crops. I don't even know what all I planted b/c some were mixed seeds. I figure, even if they don't get to full maturity before I need the space, I can always eat them young.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 4/11/2012, 11:04 am

Last year my wife bought a pack of mixed leaf lettuce I planted 9 in a square
and it fed the whole family of 4 dinner salads for 5 months before it bolted.
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 4/11/2012, 11:51 am

Tx to Ava for the shout out...
Yes, I do love me some head lettuce. This is what I am having for lunch - Merlot, butter-head, speckled Amish, and frizze.

4 squares left and 6 varieties of lettuce to plant - help? Dsc04314

Later on, hope to be eating lots of Broccoli.

I don't have a picture, but I try to plant a square every other week with Arugula, radish, and simpson leaf lettuce. Three 12" rows crammed into a square. They grow so quickly, I have to alternate often.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 4/11/2012, 12:42 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies! Looks like I have plenty of room to try all these lettuces. I"m excited to see how they all grow and what type of yield I get.

I was able to place my SFG right out my back door, just like Mel suggests in his ANSFG book. It's pretty easy to harvest for dinner, but I can't help thinking it would be even be easier if it was table top height and I didn't have to kneel down! I'm certainly more reluctant to run out there and grab something when it's been raining and the ground is all muddy. I'm actually trying right now to get bids on building a small raised landing out my back door that incorporates a waist height planter box. I would for sure plant lettuces in there in the spring and fall. It would also create some nooks and crannies for some herb pots or something. *sigh* Wouldn't that be nice? Too bad everyone wants an arm and a leg to do the work.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down