Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Had someone tell me today... - Page 2 Toplef10Had someone tell me today... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Had someone tell me today... - Page 2 I22gcj10Had someone tell me today... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Had someone tell me today... - Page 2 Toplef10Had someone tell me today... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Had someone tell me today... - Page 2 I22gcj10Had someone tell me today... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Had someone tell me today...

+7
Turan
boog1
Hoggar
GWN
lisaphoto
plantoid
givvmistamps
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Had someone tell me today... - Page 2 Empty Re: Had someone tell me today...

Post  givvmistamps Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Turan wrote:From my perspective SQF is a wonderful gateway to gardening, especially for veggies. Because of the clear cut format it is not too over whelming to go from thinking about to doing. It is standardizing and simplifying what was called French Intensive gardening 40 years ago. 4X4 is a doable commitment for almost any one, and will give a positive feed back in many different ways.
A study of the carbon footprint of food grown in a garden using ANSFG methods versus French intensive methods would be interesting to see. I think it would start out being heavily in favor of the FI and then as the SFG matured over the years it would equalize.

It warms the cockles of my heart to find a place so full of enthusiasm for gardening, so many people jumping from contemplating to doing. I have given several people these books or links to similar set ups because it is so doable.

Hey, thanks for the link! That must be the other method my prof used when she developed her plans. Her growing paths were raised up a bit due to all the compost she'd added, and I now remember her referring to double-digging.

I really need to pull out my class notes & such!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:09 pm

givvmistamps wrote:

Hey, thanks for the link! That must be the other method my prof used when she developed her plans. Her growing paths were raised up a bit due to all the compost she'd added, and I now remember her referring to double-digging.

I really need to pull out my class notes & such!

She also probably heaped her good soil from paths to beds.

Double digging.... that is so much work that it scares a lot of people and is also held in a sort of extremist fixation by some. It has its uses and was itself a reaction against the sub-compacted soils that is a symptom of gardens that have been tilled every year at the same depth. It is really good if you have drainage troubles and it can make available nutrients, especially minerals, from deep soils. Recognizing it is not needed for a good bed was one of Mel's points. I have done it once. Did not see the need here except when determined to dig out thistle roots all the way down.
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:40 pm

This was in the Piedmont of Virginia, where the soil is almost completely clay. She had to do a cover crop the first couple years to get the hard-pan broken up, compost the plants when they were through with their job, then start adding compost to her plots. It took her quite a bit of work, and the double-digging was necessary, but she found this really funky tool that made the job a lot easier without using a tiller that wouldn't go deep enough. She had to cover-crop the walking paths and quite a ways farther out from her intended garden, too, just so the plots wouldn't act like water troughs in a heavy rain.

Talk about dedicated! But she took it in parts, and was in the process of cover-cropping another section of land so she could expand her operation. I believe their goal was for her husband to be able to quit his job and join her in the farm work. Her operation was too big for her to justify the cost of building and filling boxes for everything; she sold produce to several local restaurants as well as at the farmer's market, sold eggs from her chicken operation, they raised a beef cow or two each year for their own use, and she was looking at getting more livestock.

She was my hero by the end of that semester! Looking at how I write about her, I guess she's still my hero. I've been thinking I should look her up and send her some photos of my little plots.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2