Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting Toplef10Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting I22gcj10Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting Toplef10Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting I22gcj10Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting

5 posters

Go down

Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting Empty Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting

Post  AvaDGardner 3/22/2012, 3:51 am

If you have 4 to feed, will one ear of corn feed them once at the same time? Or do I need 2 to grow simultaneously? Will one corn plant grow more ears for more than one meal?

I don't know whether to plant them together or plant them a month apart.

There will be other corn on the lot, even the same variety.

I have the same question about bell peppers and multiple plants.

Thanks.
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting Empty Re: Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting

Post  curio 3/22/2012, 8:52 am

Most corn stalks will produce one or two ears only. I don't think I've ever seen more than two. You would need to plan accordingly for that.
The others depend on how well they produce. Some will continue to produce and ripen fruit throughout their growing season, while others have fruit that ripen all at once and don't repeat. Some will do better than others in your garden, so (for instance) while one bean plant might produce well, the one beside it might not produce as well.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting Empty Re: Harvest Expectations & Succession Planting

Post  Lindacol 3/22/2012, 11:58 am

AvaDGardner wrote:If you have 4 to feed, will one ear of corn feed them once at the same time? Or do I need 2 to grow simultaneously? Will one corn plant grow more ears for more than one meal?

I don't know whether to plant them together or plant them a month apart.

There will be other corn on the lot, even the same variety.

I have the same question about bell peppers and multiple plants.

Thanks.

With corn each stalk only grows 1-2 ears. I don't know about your family but in mine everyone eats a whole ear at a time. Corn needs to be grown in a block, all planted at the same time. I did about 6 squares last year that worked well. Also cross pollination from nearby plots that are about the same stage of growth will affect te taste of the corn.

Bell peppers you can & probably should plant them all at the same time. Mine produced multiple peppers for many months from I think it was 4 plants.

My bell pepper seedlings are almost ready to transplant into the gargen within the next week or so. Some of my tomatoes went in yesterday. May have tro cover them if we get another cold snap but I lso have extras that I need to up pot just in case.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 3/28/2012, 9:45 pm

2 ears per plant is stunning! I thought it would be much higher... at least 4 per stalk, if not more. (Yes, we all eat one ear each.)

I tried several years ago in a patio bed. I got a nice plant, but no full size ears. Just one little baby is all I remember. I though it was because there weren't more nearby. (All show, no go!)

It makes you wonder how corn can be so cheap when it takes so much of a plant to produce so little.

Seems like everything big I planted between 3/1 & 3/6 has zero response. I don't know if it was the heat followed by the cold or what! I know the seeds stayed moist. Only the spinach and arugula has germinated.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 3/29/2012, 10:34 am

AvaDGardner wrote:2 ears per plant is stunning! I thought it would be much higher... at least 4 per stalk, if not more. (Yes, we all eat one ear each.)

I tried several years ago in a patio bed. I got a nice plant, but no full size ears. Just one little baby is all I remember. I though it was because there weren't more nearby. (All show, no go!)

It makes you wonder how corn can be so cheap when it takes so much of a plant to produce so little.

Seems like everything big I planted between 3/1 & 3/6 has zero response. I don't know if it was the heat followed by the cold or what! I know the seeds stayed moist. Only the spinach and arugula has germinated.

Ava

Subsidies?
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/29/2012, 10:42 am

and mass mass production with machines...
Read Barbara Kingsolvers book Animal vegetable miracle..... TO get the story on corn.
Oh and then Monsanto...... Smile
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/9/2012, 8:17 pm

I don't know of Kingsolvers' book, but I am familiar with Michael Pollan's books...Omnivore's Dilemma, Food Rules, 7 Rules of Eating, etc. He takes on GMOs in both animals and veggies.

Great speaker. I've heard him twice.
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/9/2012, 10:07 pm

I have read pollans book and kingsolvers and they make a great pair.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down