Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pallet style compost question Toplef10Pallet style compost question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pallet style compost question I22gcj10Pallet style compost question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pallet style compost question Toplef10Pallet style compost question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pallet style compost question I22gcj10Pallet style compost question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pallet style compost question

+4
Too Tall Tomatoes
curio
llama momma
Roseinarosecity
8 posters

Go down

Pallet style compost question Empty Pallet style compost question

Post  Roseinarosecity 3/21/2012, 4:25 pm

I currently have a pallet style compost. Lately I have noticed Oxalis sprouting in my compost and in my Mel's mix. I never put this weed in my compost pile but it is everywhere in my garden. I think we are digging too deep into the compost; we actually use a pitchfork not a shovel to turn the pile over. I'm thinking we are turning over the dirt base into the compost, thereby adding the oxalis. When I was sifting the last compost I noticed that it was looking like it has sand or dirt. So, my question is, should I add a bottom base in my pallet bin to prevent us from turning over too deeply? My husband said if we add chicken wire or hardware, we will pull it out with the prongs of the pitchfork. We are considering adding wooden slats on the bottom floor of the 3 wall pallet bin spaced about one inch apart. Does this make sense?
Pallet style compost question Pallet10
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Pallet style compost question Empty Re: Pallet style compost question

Post  llama momma 3/21/2012, 4:40 pm

I have a 3 bin system all made with wooden pallets. Think you are going to get a lot of answers for this situation. Generally you want the bottom of the compost to sit on soil so all the good little worms and bugs have access to breaking down everything. Others will tell you no, make a bottom and preserve run-off. Others will say to do a slat bottom like your picture for good aeration. If it were me I think I would turn the heap over more often, if possible, to disrupt the growth of the oxalis and keep pulling it out. I had a bunch of weeds come up in my first corn planting when using new compost. Once I gave it one good solid effort of weeding, that was pretty much the end of it. I hope you have similar results.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/21/2012, 4:48 pm

Also I don't know how vigorous oxalis is or if the openings in the slats will be enough to deter growth to your satisfaction. The slats won't hurt so if nothing else you will hopefully cut down on its growth while giving a little more aeration to the bottom of the pile and still allowing bugs and microbes up into the pile.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Pallet style compost question Empty oxalis

Post  curio 3/21/2012, 6:20 pm

Most oxalis reproduces by runners sent just below the soil level, although the runners will live when buried under a foot of soil and still send up shoots (don't ask). Once it is established, it is extremely difficult to get rid of, since any portion of that underground runner will simply make another plant.

I don't think those boards are going to stop it... slow it down perhaps, but not block it out. The only way you "might" be able to get rid of it organically would be to put an underground barrier about 1' deep all around the perimeter of your bin(s) with the top inch or so above ground and then saturate the soil inside that bin (when empty) with vinegar, dig it up and remove any runners or baby plants that you find. You might have to do this purge each time the bin is emptied for awhile.
Good luck Smile
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 3/21/2012, 6:37 pm

llama momma wrote:If it were me I think I would turn the heap over more often, if possible, to disrupt the growth of the oxalis and keep pulling it out. I had a bunch of weeds come up in my first corn planting when using new compost. Once I gave it one good solid effort of weeding, that was pretty much the end of it. I hope you have similar results.

I'm in agreement with you llama Pallet style compost question 3170584802
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 3/21/2012, 7:32 pm

I did more research on what I was calling oxalis and they are called Bermuda Buttercup (Oxalis pes-caprae). They grow from a tiny bulb. I think I can control introducing it to my compost by using the wood slat base. The base will prevent us from turning over the compost too deeply. We turn the compost pile 1 to 4 times a week. Before I had the pallet bin in this location, I had wood chip mulch and that seem to control them. These little bulblets are very hardy. When they grow in my Mel's mix I make sure I dig down to remove the sprouting leaves with the bulb intact. Thank goodness Mel's mix is so friable.

But back to the pallet compost, so it's not unusual to have a base? I will be adding some new composting material and some earthworms I have been keeping separately to re-introduce to the new pile.
Roseinarosecity

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/21/2012, 7:42 pm

British Butttercup bulbs and roots will grow anywhere from usually the smallest of bits they love acid soil . or slightly acid compost. I suspect yours will be very similar.

Carefully ease them out and either burn them or bung them in a light proof covered bucket of water for a few weeks till they rot & no observable plant form is found ,then pour the resultant liquid back on the compost heap.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 3/21/2012, 7:45 pm

Roseinarosecity wrote:But back to the pallet compost, so it's not unusual to have a base? I will be adding some new composting material and some earthworms I have been keeping separately to re-introduce to the new pile.

Some people have a base to their compost bin and others don't. My compost bin doesn't have a bottom....just 4 sides.
A pallet on the bottom may allow for some airflow through the bottom but I would think that the stuff would fall down the slats and block off any airflow....just my thinking.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/21/2012, 7:46 pm

[I'm in agreement with you llama Pallet style compost question 3170584802[/quote]

Back at you with Killian's Red Pallet style compost question 3170584802
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/21/2012, 7:52 pm

[
But back to the pallet compost, so it's not unusual to have a base? I will be adding some new composting material and some earthworms I have been keeping separately to re-introduce to the new pile.[/quote]

That's right, I've seen a video of some guy preserving the fluid contents by putting a metal basin contraption on the bottom of his compost. He simply kept a close watch on the moisture level and added shovels of soil to introduce bacteria and bugs.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Roseinarosecity 3/22/2012, 2:05 pm

Thank you for your responses. I am keeping the wooden slats only because I don't want to incorporate the dirt in our enthusiastic turning. I will return with the pros and cons of this system in approximately 3 months as I will start to load it with compost material this week and hope to have some compost by then.

Thanks again!
Roseinarosecity

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/22/2012, 2:53 pm

I have my compost pile sitting on the ground for similar reasons: the bacteria exchange is beneficial, earth worms and other beneficial creatures can come and go. I use a flat edge shovel to get the last of the compost when turning the pile, which limits the amount of dirt that gets lifted.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Pallet style compost question WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/22/2012, 4:36 pm

I also set my compost bins directly on the ground. The last time I turned a pile I counted the worms I could easily see as I turned the pile. 250 worms. I am not sure if I would get any worms if the pile was sitting on wooden slats.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  dsfin 3/22/2012, 5:29 pm

From what I've read, glyphosate herbicide (RoundUp or Pronto) will eventually get. It has to be a systemic herbicide to attack the rood system.

Constant weed of it won't be of much help, as any disturbance of the plant will cause seeds to be scattered; which of course will quickly germinated. Probably making the problem worse.

Smothering it by using Black plastic does help but will not kill it at the root level.

I'd also be concerned with a compost pile residing directly on the ground. I assume it would just contaminate the compost and then your SFG beds too.

Myself, I'd try using the systemic herbicide (heavy strength). That should make the top growth wilt (that's how you know the chemical is being absorbed). I'd do additional applications of the herbicide until I saw it wilt. Then I would cover the area with Black plastic. There can't be any holes in the plastic as it will find its way up through it. Maybe even use multiple layers of Black plastic if necessary. Then I would put the compost pile on top of the plastic. Caution would be necessary to ensure the plastic is not punctured when turning the compost pile.

The next year, I'd remove everything to see if it tries to take hold again. If so, start repeating the same process again. Some are saying it can take several years to get rid of it. It's that bad!!!

---Dave
dsfin

Male Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum