Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 Toplef10Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 I22gcj10Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 Toplef10Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 I22gcj10Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 10:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 12:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson 4/17/2024, 11:49 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/17/2024, 11:25 pm

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 5:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 7:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 3:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 3:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 1:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 1:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 8:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 4:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 3:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 3:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 12:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 10:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 9:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 10:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 9:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 3:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 1:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 12:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 12:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 6:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 5:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Japanese beetle defense for green beans

+14
walshevak
camprn
rjeverett
kbb964
givvmistamps
Luci Dawson
Squat_Johnson
UnderTheBlackWalnut
NHGardener
AvaDGardner
tomperrin
quiltbea
Mamachibi
1airdoc
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 Empty Re: Japanese beetle defense for green beans

Post  kbb964 4/10/2012, 2:05 pm

I have been battling against June Bugs and Japanese Beetles for years. June bugs are the worst, they come down the chiney and attack me whilst I watch tv! I have taken to blocking the fireplace with black trash bags and duct tape for a few weeks each year.

A few years back I applied beneficial milky spore all over the rear yard. For my efforts I saw a significant reduction that year and even less last summer. I am going to order some more this week as I cant find locally this year. I am hoping that they will find and destroy the grubs and army worms I uncovered whilst digging last week.

Good luck !
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 Empty Re: Japanese beetle defense for green beans

Post  AvaDGardner 4/10/2012, 11:44 pm

Thanks Kay. I was about to ask why you'd want to treat such a wide area of the yard.

Thanks to you too Tom for the explanation!

Great thread!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/11/2012, 7:57 am

Milky spore can be bought at Lowes Very Happy

Nemattack or nemaseek you need to order online.

Most hardware stores will have a Japanese Beetle trap. These are ok if you have nothing else but dont rely on it to work.
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 Empty follow up question..

Post  rjeverett 7/25/2012, 4:43 pm

So, the adults are gone around my area, haven't seen one in weeks, today however I found two grubs around my pepper and toms..which may explain why my poor little peppers have been just sitting around not producing anything. Needless to say I'll be grabbing me some milky spore this week!
My question is actually about the effect the milky spore might also have on vine borers that may find their way into my beds. Will the ms work on them as well or do they not feed once they're down there??
rjeverett
rjeverett

Female Posts : 58

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/25/2012, 4:50 pm

As far as I know, milky spore disease effects Japanese beetles only. It also can take a few seasons to be quite effective.
http://hyg.ipm.illinois.edu/pastpest/200120b.html

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  1airdoc 7/25/2012, 6:02 pm

Well, mixed results at my garden this year. I did use the milky spore and saw a dramatic reduction in the numbers of JB's this year. I also waited and planted the pole beans late, using seeds I kept from last year. NONE sprouted. Sad

Oh, well, live and learn. Next year, I won't try to use saved seeds, despite Mel's advice. Some of my saved seeds worked for other plants, but many did not.
1airdoc
1airdoc

Male Posts : 188

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/25/2012, 7:03 pm

May not be too late. Buy some seed and plant those pole beans Now.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 7/29/2012, 9:22 pm

Judging from the small number of Japanese beetles in my trap, it didn't work very well. Altho I don't see a lot of beetles in general this year. Much less than last year. I wonder if the chickens eat the grubs, or if the grubs are too deep in the soil...

NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 Empty Less Japanese Beetles

Post  Bren Ford 8/4/2012, 8:02 pm

I did the Milky Spore application a couple of years ago. I have considerably less beetles this year. The ones I do have are enjoying my blueberry bushes, hibiscus, asparagus, trailing geraniums, and one of my clematises. I will add more Milky Spore this fall in hopes of iradicating these hungry things. I also keep a coffee can w/ rubbing alcohol, so when I see them, I put them in there. I wonder if they go in cylces?
Bren Ford
Bren Ford

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 5/22/2013, 10:33 pm

Yeppers- it's time for these nasty bugs again and they are everywhere!!! affraid
We have quite the grub problem in our yard and had the front yard treated last year to help us actually grow some grass there. However, I'm sure the back yard was equally infested along with all of our neighbors. So, I'm not confident that investing in milky spore for my yard and garden is going to make enough of a difference to protect the huge damage the June bugs are doing to my garden now and in the future since we are in a subdivision w/ close houses. I know that nematodes are beneficial to kill off other bad soil bugs too, so might try that in the garden where it stays moist enough to keep them working against grubs but what about the adults.

I found an idea about putting a light secured to the top of a bucket w/ soapy water in the bottom. I think that's a semi-decent idea but am looking for additional organic/homemade ways to save my garden from these guys. study idk
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 5/23/2013, 10:23 am

Assassin bugs LOVE Japanese beetles, and have just about eliminated them here. They used to tear up my grapes something awful.

In the spring, when I find a new hatch of assassin bugs, I separate them and spread them around the garden, because the first thing the little ones do is eat each other. By spreading them around, they will start their diet on aphids, mites and other small insects, moving on up to caterpillars, flies and Japanese beetles as they mature.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 5/23/2013, 3:48 pm

hmmmm, I think one of those beetles is living in the planter of my avocado tree. I was watering it the other day and it crawled out. At first I thought it was a cockroach, but it wasn't. I didn't kill it because I wasn't sure what it was, and I don't want to indiscriminately kill bugs, because I might make the mistake of killing something good. I guess I will smash it next time I see it. Haven't seen any assassin bugs though, unfortunately.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/23/2013, 5:57 pm

Pollinator, that is a great tip!!! Just in case folks aren't familure with Japanese beetles, here is an informational link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Japanese beetle defense for green beans - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2