Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 Toplef10Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 I22gcj10Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 Toplef10Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 I22gcj10Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Brand new to SFG! My first efforts...

+20
jimmy cee
camprn
jazzycat
R&R 1011
kbb964
carybcom
GWN
Jess0331
Goosegirl
gregrenee88
givvmistamps
CindiLou
walshevak
marc-in-pa
debclements
daryl.weaver
quiltbea
gwennifer
mschaef
kittykat
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new to SFG! My first efforts...

Post  jimmy cee 4/29/2013, 8:52 am

KittyKat
I like the looks of your project, I love the idea of an aerial view..hmmm..maybe I'll need to climb our pear tree to gets some of ours.
Your layout seems very meticulous, compact, and well planned.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 Empty Re: Brand new to SFG! My first efforts...

Post  kittykat 4/29/2013, 12:04 pm

jimmy cee wrote:KittyKat
I like the looks of your project, I love the idea of an aerial view..hmmm..maybe I'll need to climb our pear tree to gets some of ours.
Your layout seems very meticulous, compact, and well planned.

Thanks, jimmy cee! Much appreciated! It was completely by-guess-and-by-golly, though. If you go back to the beginning of this post and watch the progress, you can see that... The actual raised beds were leftover from an old tenant after they moved on, so I repurposed them. Then needed to cover them from the birds/cats... then needed to tend the plants better, so built the fence instead of the cages... then added another bed.. then expanded the fence (cause it was too squishy in there) and moved in my potting bench... then chopped up the last garden bed and added the two ends to the smaller bed... etc., etc. But it's been FUN and I love the ideas I get from everyone here! And the Junior Gardeners are having fun, too, and are excited to try the fruits of our labours. Love it!

Thanks again!

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 3170584802
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 6/12/2013, 8:34 pm

Updated pic on my SFG.  I have most of the walking area mulched now - looks SO much better than cardboard!

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 Img_1310

Sadly, though, we have to sell the house.  Dagnabbit.  But I carry my knowledge with me and will hopefully be able to create something lovely and fun in our next place.
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/12/2013, 8:38 pm

"Sadly, though, we have to sell the house"   
I sure know how that feels, I have left behind many many gardens, and I live in constant  fear of losing this one.  Your garden looks beautiful, hopefully it will help sell your house.  Moving somewhere else in BC?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 6/12/2013, 8:55 pm

Thanks Gwn.  I've poured my heart and soul into my yard here over the last 14 years.  It is hard to let it go.  But that's the way it goes sometimes.  Yes - I'll be moving somewhere else within my community, so not a long-distance move, thankfully!
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/12/2013, 9:56 pm

Kitty I see fruit trees... what have you got there? Also, are those pink spikes behind you fabulous SFG digitalis 'foxglove'? I love those!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/12/2013, 10:27 pm

I've poured my heart and soul into my yard here over the last 14 years. 

Oh manoman... I feel for you. We have made SOOO many raised beds, and started SOOOO many asparagus, and fruit trees, I feel like a gardening company.... 
I really hope you find a place you can continue to grow.  The cool thing about SFG is that you can start over without too much wait, because the soil is built right from the start.
The hardest part, last year we went down to Eugene Oregon where our last house was and the new owners had torn down our hoophouse greenhouse and much of our raised beds.
That was really sad.Sad
I hope you are able to rebuild your garden quickly, and living coastal BC, you will not have to wait as long, as up here.
HUGS
janet
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 6/12/2013, 10:31 pm

Pouring your heart and soul into a project that will eventually be lost can be traumatic, however just consider the enjoyment, satisfaction, and knowledge you have because of it.
You will move on and be much better for the future...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 6/12/2013, 10:51 pm

"The hardest part, last year we went down to Eugene Oregon where our last house was and the new owners had torn down our hoophouse greenhouse and much of our raised beds."

That's one of my fears...  My plan is to at least pot up specimens of my perennials and try and take cuttings from my shrubs to see if I can carry some of my work forward.  But to come back here and see it all gone to seed or torn down or not tended would be heartbreaking, for sure!
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 6/12/2013, 10:53 pm

camprn wrote:Kitty I see fruit trees... what have you got there? Also, are those pink spikes behind you fabulous SFG digitalis 'foxglove'? I love those!

Hi Camprn...

Yes - those are foxglove.  I had a couple around here and they have made babies year after year!  I just love them.  I'll be potting up some of those to bring along with me for sure!  You can see a nice cherry tree, about 9 years old, in about the middle of the picture, and then behind the row of bushes to the back of the SFG there is an old apple tree.  I have another younger apple tree, too, and a plum (that never seems to give us any plums).
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 6/12/2013, 10:55 pm

jimmy cee wrote:Pouring your heart and soul into a project that will eventually be lost can be traumatic, however just consider the enjoyment, satisfaction, and knowledge you have because of it.
You will move on and be much better for the future...

Yeah, I know, jimmy cee. Thanks for your kind words.  I have tended this patch of ground well.  I've done my best and will go forward with what I've learned.
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 5/10/2014, 10:56 pm

Well, I thought I'd post another update pic.  The house and property are still on the market, but not sold.  This is the first year that I've been gardening that my garden area is completely built and all I need to do is tend the beds and plants.  We're off to a slow start and I haven't even got the SFG strings in place yet.  I've been busy potting up perennials and bulbs to carry forward to the new place, wherever that will be. 

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 3 Garden10
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/11/2014, 2:01 am

Lovely garden. The arched trellis is especially decorative.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/11/2014, 8:26 am

That looks really nice, Kittycat!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/11/2014, 9:59 pm

This is the first year that I've been gardening that my garden area is completely built and all I need to do is tend the beds and plants. 

I am envious, have never quite gotten to that stage with gardening.  Maybe soon

Thanks for the update, it looks great
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/11/2014, 10:03 pm

GWN wrote:
This is the first year that I've been gardening that my garden area is completely built and all I need to do is tend the beds and plants. 

I am envious, have never quite gotten to that stage with gardening.  Maybe soon

Thanks for the update, it looks great

GWN, do you really want to get to that stage?  What on earth will you do with yourself? I always thought it was the journey that mattered.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/12/2014, 9:41 am

GWN, do you really want to get to that stage?  What on earth will you do with yourself? I always thought it was the journey that mattered.

ha ha......   I am just tired of pulling quack grass... it seems to be all I do anymore.
Looking forward to real gardening, and my back is too
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 5/12/2014, 12:56 pm

GWN wrote:
ha ha......   I am just tired of pulling quack grass... it seems to be all I do anymore.

Man - I have that stuff, too!!  I think it came in in some topsoil or something we had brought in when we raised up one of our lawns.  The stuff is horrible and it's everywhere in my yard now... arrggghhhh

And thanks, everyone!
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  HDMama 5/26/2014, 3:13 pm

It has turned out beautiful. I too have worked hard and had to move. It's bitter sweet. Once I saw my new places, I had new dreams of creating. Hope you get to enjoy a harvest.
HDMama
HDMama

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/26/2014, 6:59 pm

kittykat wrote:
GWN wrote:

Man - I have that stuff, too!!  I think it came in in some topsoil or something we had brought in when we raised up one of our lawns.  The stuff is horrible and it's everywhere in my yard now... arrggghhhh

And thanks, everyone!

In recent years I have discovered 2 things that will successfully crowd out quack grass:

1. Egyptian Walking Onions (beware - they can take over the world)
2. Phlox (the tall stuff for sure, have not tried it with the low, creeping phlox)

Since I do not need 40-50 feet of EWO's  Shocked , I plan to fill my trouble area with phlox.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3