Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Toplef10Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 I22gcj10Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Toplef10Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 I22gcj10Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Brand new to SFG! My first efforts...

+20
jimmy cee
camprn
jazzycat
R&R 1011
kbb964
carybcom
GWN
Jess0331
Goosegirl
gregrenee88
givvmistamps
CindiLou
walshevak
marc-in-pa
debclements
daryl.weaver
quiltbea
gwennifer
mschaef
kittykat
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Empty Re: Brand new to SFG! My first efforts...

Post  gregrenee88 4/24/2012, 1:47 pm

kittykat wrote:I have an old mini greenhouse frame that I've had for years. The plastic fell apart a long time ago and got tossed and the frame was actually being used in the garage as a shelving unit...

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Greenh10

A little 6-mil poly,some (a lot of) ductotherapy and some head-scratching and I have a brand new greenhouse for starting plants! (Oh, plus some help from my very curious kitty!)

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Greenh11

I used some tulle netting and made a window in the front with a roll-up poly cover for air circulation. The whole front is a flap that lifts up so I can get to the plants. And the whole cover lifts off the frame.

Yay! Now I need to go and get a heating pad and I'm ready to start trying to germinate some annual flowers!

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 582897 Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 582897 Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 582897

I think Duct Tape is so underrated...so useful for so many things. If you ever have the chance check out "The Red Green Show", he uses it for everything!!! rofl Great job on recycling!!
Renee
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Empty Re: Brand new to SFG! My first efforts...

Post  Goosegirl 4/24/2012, 2:09 pm

gregrenee88 wrote:
kittykat wrote:I have an old mini greenhouse frame that I've had for years. The plastic fell apart a long time ago and got tossed and the frame was actually being used in the garage as a shelving unit...

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Greenh10

A little 6-mil poly,some (a lot of) ductotherapy and some head-scratching and I have a brand new greenhouse for starting plants! (Oh, plus some help from my very curious kitty!)

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Greenh11

I used some tulle netting and made a window in the front with a roll-up poly cover for air circulation. The whole front is a flap that lifts up so I can get to the plants. And the whole cover lifts off the frame.

Yay! Now I need to go and get a heating pad and I'm ready to start trying to germinate some annual flowers!

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 582897 Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 582897 Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 582897

I think Duct Tape is so underrated...so useful for so many things. If you ever have the chance check out "The Red Green Show", he uses it for everything!!! Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 889526 Great job on recycling!!
Renee

Love duct tape! One of my favorite RG Show episodes is the one where they run out of duct tape!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 4/24/2012, 4:37 pm

Love the whole show, especially their black/white segments that Red narrates! lol!
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Empty FANTASTIC!!!

Post  Jess0331 4/24/2012, 7:12 pm

I am a newbie, too! I just cleared a spot out today to put my garden and will have my Dad help me put the box together this weekend -- while I have the know-how to do it, he has all the tools. LOL

I wanted to ask about one area I saw in the pictures: there are 2 higher boxes in 2 corners. Are those for deeper veggies like carrots/potatoes? I love what you have done and look forward to seeing more pictures as the season goes on.
Jess0331
Jess0331

Female Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/24/2012, 7:32 pm

Hi Jess0331! Welcome!

Yes - those are my potato boxes. I have potatoes planted in there and as the sprouts grow I'll add Mel's Mix to them and as I need to extend up past the top of the square box, I'll add another square box on top. You can use those square boxes for things like carrots, too, that are sometimes longer than the 6" of Mel's Mix in your SFG.

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 396615
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Jess0331 4/24/2012, 8:03 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome and the answer to my question. I was trying to figure out what to do in order to try carrots/potatoes and, until I saw your picture, thought I was going to have to build a separate taller box and put it next to the main one. Your idea is MUCH better! I'm getting extremely excited about trying this type of gardening and can't wait to start posting some pics. Thanks again and have a great night!
Jess0331
Jess0331

Female Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Empty Okay - maybe one more...

Post  kittykat 5/12/2012, 8:42 pm

Okay - maybe just one more bed... But only because my hoop house is finished its early-season protecting of the early crops and was begging me to be a real greenhouse...

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Thirdb11

We just happen to have pallets kicking around from our business, and I just happened to have another whole garden bed frame I could relocate from where the last tenants we had left it behind... So a little elbow grease and a sunny day and I have a half greenhouse / half SFG new bed! Yay!

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Thirdb10

And I had patio planters that are getting some annuals put in and *they* needed a place - and the potato pots (in front) weren't getting *quite* enough sun where they were and I just *happened* to have some bricks I could use on the shoulders of the new bed...

The pallet is a little wider than 2 feet, so the SFG is a little narrower than 2 feet, but I'll end up with 12 x 10 inch squares - close enough for me!

kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/13/2012, 10:53 am

WOW, you ARE busy.
Not sure I completely understand the pallets and what they are doing?
Also I am QUITE interested in vinigar sprayed on dandylions.
I have a whole acreage that i am trying to get rid of quack Grass and I just know round up would work but would NEVER use it, but i am wondering if vinegar would solve the problem
TEENSY bits of roots will start another whole plant, I have spent a whole month weeding and could start again. The ones that are coming up in my raised beds are the big problem because there are other things growing there, so I cannot dig down too far.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  carybcom 5/14/2012, 11:28 am

Wow, that's impressive. Looking good.
carybcom
carybcom

Male Posts : 31

http://www.caryb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 5/14/2012, 11:46 am

I really like your removable Hoop house ! I think I might modify mine to be like that next year
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 5/14/2012, 5:07 pm

GWN wrote:WOW, you ARE busy.
Not sure I completely understand the pallets and what they are doing?
Also I am QUITE interested in vinigar sprayed on dandylions.

The pallet just forms a solid base to put my plant trays on under the hoop tunnel. I didn't want to put everything on Mel's mix, so I put the pallet there and covered it with plastic mesh. Along the front, separating the dirt from the pallet, is a 1x6 board.

The vinegar seems to work well on the dandelions. It knocks them right back and they die... but - they do re-emerge, so it doesn't completely kill the root at first go. It's my summer project to keep at it, though, spraying the re-emerging leaves when I see them. I'll figure out in the fall and over the winter whether or not it's actually worked.

I used it on the grass, too, and while it kills the grass just fine, it does come right back. Dang... So I don't know how it'll work with your grass problem... sorry!
Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 3170584802
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 5/14/2012, 5:09 pm

kbb964 and carybccom - thanks! it's been trial and error the whole way... but lots of fun!
Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 109486
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Empty trellis

Post  kittykat 5/27/2012, 8:13 pm

Here's my Construction for Dummies attempt at a trellis. We had the hoops from an old broken down vehicle/boat cover thing hanging around. So I just got 4 @ 6' long rebar to slide them over and one to help anchor the tops together.. It's a little long at the top, but I didn't want to cut it, in case we need the pieces again for something else. Now I just need to get the netting...

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Arch10
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/27/2012, 8:21 pm

REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE. Good work.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/28/2012, 11:18 am

Awesome garden...

Poor dandelions....
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 3/27/2013, 4:51 pm

Okay - time to post some updated pics...

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Img_1210

I found that those cages that I made last year, while protecting the beds wonderfully, were a pain to get in and out of. And once things really started growing in there and needed tending, it was time to take them off. I used 6' pieces of rebar pounded about 1.5 feet into the ground and black bird netting to fence off the beds, but the "fence" was right up close to the beds and I found I was constantly undoing and doing back up the fence to tend the plants. So this year I have moved the fencing, giving myself a 2-foot margin all around the beds. Much better! I also moved my potting bench (birthday gift from hubby last year!) into the garden area and have it enclosed within the fence.

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Img_1218

Where I have the landscape fabric is where I had cardboard over the grass last year. This year, the cardboard had killed most of the grass so it was easy to put the fabric down. I had had thoughts of putting rock paths between my beds, but since watching Back to Eden I think I will take off the landscape fabric when I am ready and use a nice layer of bark mulch over newspapers over the ground. That is also the plan for all the areas you see where there is cardboard now. As I get more cardboard, I'll lay it down so the whole area is covered. Then when I get mulch, I'll mulch it all.

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Img_1219

I'm so happy I found this forum last year! The Junior Gardeners (kids) and I are loving our SFG!

Last edited by kittykat on 3/27/2013, 5:11 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Dang - I can't get the other pics to load - it keeps loading the same one.. I'll keep trying.)
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 3/27/2013, 7:44 pm

It looks beautiful. Exactly what Im striving for. What do you have planted in the big pots?
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 3/27/2013, 8:07 pm

Thanks R&R! There is nothing in the pots right now. They're leftover from last year. They had flowers last year. I haven't decided yet for this year. But they're great at holding down the cardboard for me!

kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 3/28/2013, 2:24 am

AWESOME!
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/23/2013, 4:04 pm

Here's a current view of my SFG from our upstairs window. (through the screen - sorry!)

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Garden10

I'm going to be putting mulch down in all the places where there is cardboard and landscape fabric. It will look so much better when I do. The garden is a little greener now than in this pic, too - a week and a half makes a big difference in the garden this time of year!

kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 4/24/2013, 12:47 am

kittykat wrote:Here's a current view of my SFG from our upstairs window. (through the screen - sorry!)

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Garden10

I'm going to be putting mulch down in all the places where there is cardboard and landscape fabric. It will look so much better when I do. The garden is a little greener now than in this pic, too - a week and a half makes a big difference in the garden this time of year!

Looking good! Glad to see Im not the only one with a bunch of cardboard down waiting for mulch. Razz
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/26/2013, 3:03 pm

Thanks R&R... yeah - it looks kind of like a trailer park SFG at this point (no offense to anyone living in a trailer park - LOL). But I have vision and I see it as it will be... Wink

I am in the process of getting mulch down at least on the borders where the grass is - I'll post another pic when I have that done.

kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/27/2013, 7:05 pm

Got mulch onto a couple sides of the garden this week...

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 Garden11

smiles
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/27/2013, 7:51 pm

Looks fantastic!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Brand new to SFG!  My first efforts... - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/29/2013, 12:49 am

Thanks camprn!
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum