Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Urban Community Garden in Detroit Toplef10Urban Community Garden in Detroit 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Urban Community Garden in Detroit I22gcj10Urban Community Garden in Detroit 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Urban Community Garden in Detroit Toplef10Urban Community Garden in Detroit 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Urban Community Garden in Detroit I22gcj10Urban Community Garden in Detroit 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Urban Community Garden in Detroit

+4
Chopper
Windsor.Parker
jamesindetroit
michigannaturalist
8 posters

Go down

Urban Community Garden in Detroit Empty Urban Community Garden in Detroit

Post  michigannaturalist 3/7/2012, 12:44 pm

Hello everybody,
looking for information on starting an urban community garden in Detroit. Any advice/tips would be helpful. I am a Michigan teen and this is my first time doing this so I am just trying to sort through everything and figure out where I should start. Thanks!
michigannaturalist
michigannaturalist

Back to top Go down

Urban Community Garden in Detroit Empty Re: Urban Community Garden in Detroit

Post  jamesindetroit 3/7/2012, 2:46 pm

Hello,

I am working a couple projects in Belleville and Romulus. I could always use a hand. Do you have The All New Square Foot Gardening book? Are you familiar with Square Foot Gardening?
jamesindetroit
jamesindetroit

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 126

http://www.deliverdetroit.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 3/7/2012, 3:13 pm

Urban Community Garden in Detroit 61949Hi michigannaturalist and Urban Community Garden in Detroit 396615to the forum.
I commend you for deciding to start a community garden. Don't try to "sort through everything and figure out where..." to start.
As jamesindetroit implies, the book, "All New Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew, is an indispensable tool. Buy it or borrow it, but read it before going any further. You'll be glad you did!
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 3/7/2012, 4:04 pm

Victoria, CEO at the SFG Foundation (www.squarefootgardening.org), has started urban gardens herself. It might be worth contacting the foundation. I think it would be a wonderful idea to use this method to get the most bang for your buck out of an urban garden. Contact the foundation and see what they say.

I am also sure there is tons of info about urban gardens in general on the net of course, but stick with SFG for the final concept.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CiderSapling 3/8/2012, 12:58 am

Congratulations! A community garden is an awesome thing. I've spent the last year or so building one in my community - right next door to me, even! It's been difficult and rewarding. My neighbors have suprised me with their support and I've gotten to know some amazing people.

First, let me encourage you. This can be a difficult road. I feel like making it through the red tape of forming the garden is the hardest part. I'm in St. Louis, MO, where we have an organization that focuses on community gardening. They've been a wonderful resource for the red tape stuff. Take a look in Detroit and see if there's anything similar available to you. But after a lot of up and down in the process, I made it through. I stood out in our unimproved lot last week, just taking it all in and I couldn't stop grinning. Finally! Finally! It was ours! We moved in immediately. Smile

I don't have much space in our new garden, so we went with SFG for the soil mixes and planter bed design. But using SFG is a commitment and not everyone is excited about it. Talk to the people you'll be working with in the garden and see what they can and want to do. We're using a compromise where only the soil mix and bed design is SFG. Each individual gardener then chooses if they want to use Mel's planting recommendations. By using the soil mix we have an easily renewable soil mixture for years to come. This is important because it's impossible to plant directly into the ground on our spot (previously held a house that was demolished with a lot of debris left behind, VERY poor soil). As we're closer to planting, though, more of our gardeners are becoming educated about SFG and are planning on using it.

So, from the planning part of the community garden, think about these things:
1. Who will be involved with the garden? ... What kind of community are you looking to engage? Direct neighbors, low income folks, families, children? Different target groups can change things like the design, style, and location. For example: if you want to children you need to think about plants that are exciting for kids to grow with plenty of space for them to elbow about in - and who is going to be in charge of those kids.
2. Where can the garden be located? Here in St. Louis there's a central organization that manages all the city held property. They can lease out property for gardens so I had to go through they're requirements to get and sign a lease. Poke around and see what you can find out about using publically owned land. If there are empty lots nearby suitable for gardening, but are owned privately, you can consider approaching the owner for a private lease arrangement. If you're under 18, your parents will have to enter into any legal contract (I think).
3. How much space do we have to work with? The smaller the space the more likely people will want to use SFG. "Space luxury" seems to make people lazy. Wink
4. What kind of funding is available? You may find public grants out there to help with start up and development costs.
5. What is the purpose of the garden? Do you want people to be able to grow food for their families, for the purpose of selling, or both? Depending on the legal arrangement you make for the property, growing food for selling may be legal or not. Consider this question in terms of your fellow gardeners.

Finally, start being on the lookout for news and comments related to gardening. For example, a community garden here recently had to take down their bee hive because the city wouldn't insure the property with the hive in place. There's nothing to say that the hive is illegal or against regulations, but no insurance means no garden. To keep the garden they dismantled the hive. It was relevant to us, as a discussion about a hive was going on between our gardeners. Now, we're planting a butterfly garden along the perimter to help attract pollinators to the scene.

I know that's a lot of stuff! I've been taking notes on all of this for awhile - I tend towards forgetfulness when it comes to details so I take lots of notes.

I can tell you, above all else, standing out in our new garden last week was a wonderful feeling.
CiderSapling
CiderSapling

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 3/8/2012, 1:48 am

cidersapling,
Urban Community Garden in Detroit 657780
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 3/8/2012, 11:48 am

find other garden CLUBS in town they might not do it the sfg way, but they might allready have the low down on some or most of the legal stuff, you will need to know. not to mention a seed sourse, for getting started. i know theres more than few i ran across on the net. when i tryed to look for ones here around jackson. good luck maybe in future i'll be over that way an stop an check it out Urban Community Garden in Detroit 3759993749

boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/8/2012, 4:01 pm

michigannaturalist wrote: Hello everybody,
looking for information on starting an urban community garden in Detroit. Any advice/tips would be helpful. I am a Michigan teen and this is my first time doing this so I am just trying to sort through everything and figure out where I should start. Thanks!

glad you\'re here Nice to see another teenager on the forum. I'm hoping Josh will comment here soon. He is an amazing 17 yr old SFG gardner from Illinois.

Do you have any gardening experience? Have you Have you read the All New Square Foot Gardening Book? Do you have a place for the garden?

Good luck.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/8/2012, 5:25 pm

http://www.cskdetroit.org/EWG/ <~~~click Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Urban Community Garden in Detroit WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum