Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Grass roots, what would you do? Toplef10Grass roots, what would you do? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Grass roots, what would you do? I22gcj10Grass roots, what would you do? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Grass roots, what would you do? Toplef10Grass roots, what would you do? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Grass roots, what would you do? I22gcj10Grass roots, what would you do? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Grass roots, what would you do?

+3
1airdoc
curio
lisaphoto
7 posters

Go down

Grass roots, what would you do? Empty Grass roots, what would you do?

Post  lisaphoto 2/28/2012, 1:57 pm

I started my SFG 2 years ago. I made the mistake of using cardboard under the bed to kill the grass/weeds. Last year, b/c the grass was coming up through the bed, I tried putting weed cloth down. But I just moved the Mel's mix from one side of the box to the other, laid down the cloth, then switched. But b/c I didn't totally empty the box, I ended up with uneven depth and the grass still came through the edges and the middle where the seam was. Yesterday, I ripped up the box entirely. What I realized was, I am missing half my Mel's mix b/c pulling the grass out took half the mix with it, and the mix is filled with roots, mostly from grass.

My question is, does grass come back if the roots are left? Should I throw away the mix, or could I use it in containers where I can manage it better. Or will it be fine to put back in the box, and just add to it?

Also, what should I do under my new beds? would weed cloth under the box be enough, or do I need to dig up the area?
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Grass roots, what would you do? Empty returning grass

Post  curio 2/28/2012, 2:08 pm

Much depends on the species/variety of grass that you're dealing with. Any that send out runners or underground rhyzomes will sprout from any piece left in the ground. Those that remain "single" and reproduce only by seed may not.
As far as whether to replace the mix, someone else will need to chime in on that.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Grass roots, what would you do? Empty Re: Grass roots, what would you do?

Post  lisaphoto 2/28/2012, 2:48 pm

I am not sure what kind it is. Since it came in around the edge of the boxes where there were gaps, maybe it is the kind that has runners?
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  1airdoc 2/28/2012, 3:38 pm

I understood that several layers (3-4) of cardboard would kill the weeds beneath it over time. I have had success using that technique not only beneath my boxes, but also between them (covered with mulch). I have had grass grow in from the sides into the mulch between my boxes, but not from beneath the cardboard. Bermuda grass is particularly aggressive at that, and will insert its rhizomes into any crack it can get into in the top 6 inches of soil. Once it is there, you have to get rid of all the rhizome or kill it somehow, otherwise it will return.

I'm curious: what technique did you use with your cardboard? Did you use multiple layers of overlapping cardboard that covered the entire ground surface? If the grass is bermuda, those rhizomes can even work their way through weed cloth over time (I've seen it elsewhere in my landscaping), so I'm not sure what works in that setting.

Another poster has had success pouring boiling water onto weeds to kill them. Perhaps you could pour boiling water onto your grass root contaminated Mel's Mix in small batches.
1airdoc
1airdoc

Male Posts : 188

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/28/2012, 5:16 pm

Yes, grass can come back it there are roots left, not always but it can happen.

If it is not Bermuda grass and if you plan on having a hot compost pile, you could throw that mixture of grass and roots and MM it in the compost pile. Otherwise you could just place it next to the pile, place black plastic over it for a few months to let it rot, then throw it in the compost pile.

As to the new beds, are you placing them in the same place? If so, scrape all grass and roots away down to the sub soil where there are no roots, place cardboard down, staple weed barrier to the bottom of the box, put the box in place and put in Mel's Mix.
If you are placing the beds in a new location, use a edger tool to cut and take up the sod, roots, and dirt. If you cut them into 10"-12" squares, you can place them root side up and pile them next to the compost pile. It will take a year, but that pile should become compost.

My garden boxes have lawn between the beds, so to reduce grass root infiltration into the bed, every few weeks I cut about an inch away from the outsides of the box with this edger tool.
Grass roots, what would you do? Garden_Edger

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Grass roots, what would you do? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  SherrieLou 8/26/2013, 2:03 pm

I am dealing with the same thing. I don't know what kind of grass it is but it is extremely invasive and has roots upto 3 feet long. I put a plywood bottom on my box.

I want to scoop up the MM and put back in my box, minus the roots. Am I crazy? I hate to loose a whole box of MM. 

Someone told me to pull out all the roots and put the MM in a closed garbage can in the sun for a few months and then use the soil in the spring.

any thoughts?
SherrieLou
SherrieLou

Female Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/26/2013, 2:25 pm

Sherrie, I that idea if it works. Even my tabletops are full of crab and bermuda grasses from the lawn service mower throwing bits up high enough to get in and also this is the first year I've used my homemade compost. I think the llama and horse manure had seeds. I think I will try a bed or two. I was planning to empty some of my original beds, raise them another block high and replace the plastic liner with weedblock cloth.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/26/2013, 4:01 pm

Speaking from experience, it is unlikely that weed block fabric will help with Bermuda grass.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Grass roots, what would you do? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola 8/28/2013, 4:07 pm

If you decide to remove the MM and start over, try putting the mix through a compost screen/sifter, to separate and remove the roots. After I do that I leave the roots out on a tarp (or a spare patio paver) for a few days 'til it's dried out --or 'til I remember it again Embarassed   -- then add it to the compost. But I'm not sure just what the weed grass that grows around, under--and sometimes in my beds is.
I do also like the ideas, above, about the black plastic, and the garbage can for an extended time.
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down