Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Big Buzz Toplef10Big Buzz 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Big Buzz I22gcj10Big Buzz 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Big Buzz Toplef10Big Buzz 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Big Buzz I22gcj10Big Buzz 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Big Buzz

4 posters

Go down

Big Buzz Empty Big Buzz

Post  WardinWake 2/23/2012, 7:35 pm

Howdy Folk:

With the help of my able wife I built a new work bench this week. The legs are 4X4 lumber and the sides and top are made from 2X8 lumber. While working with the new workbench today we heard an angry buzzing coming from the bench. After a quick inspection and closer listening we found that Bumble Bees had bored 3 holes in the new bench and had taken up residence. A spray with WD-40 had their wings lubricated enough that we did not hear any more buzzing. I hated to do that because Bumble Bees make good pollinators for the Square Foot Garden.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Big Buzz Empty Re: Big Buzz

Post  Ha-v-v 2/23/2012, 7:38 pm

Were they carpenter bees? We have lots of them on our deck in the summer, they come back to the holes that were made by the previous bees and we protect their pupa from wasps Smile

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 2/23/2012, 7:42 pm

Ha-v-v wrote:Were they carpenter bees? We have lots of them on our deck in the summer, they come back to the holes that were made by the previous bees and we protect their pupa from wasps Smile

Ha-v-v

Howdy Ha-v-v:

These appeared to be big Bumble Bees. In any case they had bored holes larger than 3/8".

God Bless, Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/23/2012, 8:00 pm

Sad
If it was me, would have put putty in the holes when they were out foraging, forcing them to go find a new home.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Big Buzz WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 2/23/2012, 8:08 pm

Yes carpenter bees Smile They look like a big bumble bee and make holes, I did a little bit of research when we moved here to see if they were harmful to the wood structures, meaning, would the building fall down, the answers I found then were they werent going to bring my deck down. I was amazed by them. We see the piles of "pine" shavings they leave when they bore a new hole, then we see the pollen on the outside of their holes when feeding the babies. I am in awe of anything that can cut through wood, we have seen wasps cut meat before too but that was too close for comfort Smile

So do you have a project planned for the new work bench? I love new wood Smile

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 2/24/2012, 1:40 am

We have nick named them "bully bees" because they are so pesky. They are less likely to sting than honey bees but come right up to your face and look you in the eye. I do find that unnerving. They also chase of any other flying creatures including each other. I am still dealing with my fear of stinging insects but now I just tense up rather than running and screaming. I need the big bees (bumbles, mason, and carpender) to pollanate my passion fruit so I keep that in mind.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 2/24/2012, 5:17 am

Ha-v-v wrote:Yes carpenter bees Smile They look like a big bumble bee and make holes, I did a little bit of research when we moved here to see if they were harmful to the wood structures, meaning, would the building fall down, the answers I found then were they werent going to bring my deck down. I was amazed by them. We see the piles of "pine" shavings they leave when they bore a new hole, then we see the pollen on the outside of their holes when feeding the babies. I am in awe of anything that can cut through wood, we have seen wasps cut meat before too but that was too close for comfort Smile

Ha-v-v

Howdy Folks: Upon reflection and reading about Carpenter Bees I have to conclude that the were not Bumble Bees but indeed Carpenter Bees. I will have to be more careful in the future as the garden can use more bees. The Carpenter Bees may drill holes in the workbench, but, then so do I.

The workbench was purpose built to work on chainsaws. It is not quite ready. I will be building drawers and a storage cabinet or two. I caught the bug of working on chainsaws when mine would run but not idle. After research and rebuilding the Carburetor I thought that I can do this. I have put out the call at work for any returned saws that are not economically repairable to be given to me instead of being put in the dumpster. Some only need a carb rebuild or other minor adjustment. Others are good for parts only.

And the bench will make a good potting bench as well.

WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/24/2012, 7:03 am

WardinWake wrote:
Ha-v-v wrote:Yes carpenter bees Smile They look like a big bumble bee and make holes, I did a little bit of research when we moved here to see if they were harmful to the wood structures, meaning, would the building fall down, the answers I found then were they werent going to bring my deck down. I was amazed by them. We see the piles of "pine" shavings they leave when they bore a new hole, then we see the pollen on the outside of their holes when feeding the babies. I am in awe of anything that can cut through wood, we have seen wasps cut meat before too but that was too close for comfort Smile

Ha-v-v

Howdy Folks: Upon reflection and reading about Carpenter Bees I have to conclude that the were not Bumble Bees but indeed Carpenter Bees. I will have to be more careful in the future as the garden can use more bees. The Carpenter Bees may drill holes in the workbench, but, then so do I.

The workbench was purpose built to work on chainsaws. It is not quite ready. I will be building drawers and a storage cabinet or two. I caught the bug of working on chainsaws when mine would run but not idle. After research and rebuilding the Carburetor I thought that I can do this. I have put out the call at work for any returned saws that are not economically repairable to be given to me instead of being put in the dumpster. Some only need a carb rebuild or other minor adjustment. Others are good for parts only.

And the bench will make a good potting bench as well.

Ward, an excellent side hobby/job choice! I know there will some money in that for you! Hurrah! Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Big Buzz WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down