Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
this tree is a huge pain !!! Toplef10this tree is a huge pain !!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

this tree is a huge pain !!! I22gcj10this tree is a huge pain !!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
this tree is a huge pain !!! Toplef10this tree is a huge pain !!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

this tree is a huge pain !!! I22gcj10this tree is a huge pain !!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

this tree is a huge pain !!!

+2
curio
newstart
6 posters

Go down

this tree is a huge pain !!! Empty this tree is a huge pain !!!

Post  newstart 2/23/2012, 1:13 pm

Ok I have started to cut down the mulberry trees that the birds gave me. well all the trees are cut down and 2 of the stumps are gone. that was some work but i did it. cheers but now on to the big one. This guy just dose not want to leave. I have cut it down to a shorter stump now digging up the roots and cutting to get everything out. I have been digging and cutting for 45 min. and this stump will not even wiggle the smallest amount. I am taking a break lol
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 335

Back to top Go down

this tree is a huge pain !!! Empty can relate

Post  curio 2/23/2012, 1:19 pm

I hear ya... we've had the same issue over the years with various trees.
How large in diameter was the trunk? Have you tried digging a trench around the area about half way to where the previous drip line (diameter of the leaf canopy) of the tree was and using a hatchet to cut through the roots there? That worked for us on a few of the trees.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

this tree is a huge pain !!! Empty Re: this tree is a huge pain !!!

Post  llama momma 2/23/2012, 1:28 pm

I feel for you! I had a couple of large trees topple over in bad weather a few years back. Way too much for us to handle and ended up paying a tree service to cut it all down, grind the stump and take the whole darn mess away.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 2/23/2012, 2:06 pm

the small trees were about 3-4 inches across and the big tree that is giving me a hard time is about 5 1/2 inches across. I am having to dig farther and farther back this tree has soooo many roots in every direction its just crazy..

I would love to pay someone but that would cut into my funds for the garden. things are tight as it is. so everything i can do myself is a few pennys saved
newstart
newstart

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/23/2012, 2:30 pm

Yes I sure understand. And back then I didn't have a garden. Best wishes with your hard work.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/23/2012, 2:59 pm

newstart wrote:the small trees were about 3-4 inches across and the big tree that is giving me a hard time is about 5 1/2 inches across. I am having to dig farther and farther back this tree has soooo many roots in every direction its just crazy..

I would love to pay someone but that would cut into my funds for the garden. things are tight as it is. so everything i can do myself is a few pennys saved

I have had to take out more than a few small trees by hand. The way I take care of a tree the size you describe is to dig down and around the roots out a foot each way from the stump and take an ax or a hatchet to the roots, lift out the stump. I believe the rest of the roots will rot.

I I love you my hatchet!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

this tree is a huge pain !!! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/23/2012, 5:19 pm

At 5 & 1/2 inches diameter it's a mere sapling Wink

It's a pity you did not leave the bole ( the trunk ) as long as you could and just lop off the top above 6 feet in height , for you could have used this as a six foot lever as you sever the roots .

EDIT can you lash a 3x3 on the stump to make the lever or is it too short ???

Like as already been said you will need to dig around the stump .

I'd start by digging round the stump some four feet back & working towards the bole till you hit roots and once hitting a decent resistance from roots start digging geting down to 18 inches.

Then start working the hole in a circle around bole , once you start hitting 1 & 1/2 inch roots it's time for the magic easing liquid out the hose pipe .

Give ther bole side of the hole a good soaking last thing at night and by next morning the soils is usually quite soft and easy to work out , to let you have a chop at the bigger roots. The tap root/ s will be the most awkward for they are usually under the centre line of the bole but once you get sight of it and use the hose pipe its not long before it's fully exposed enough to chop it through from all sides the next day .

If you have eye protection , a power washer that you can get to the stump and you don't mind getting absolutley filthy , you can really got to town once the deep trench is dug & just blast the soil out towards the deep trench to expose most of the roots.

Do cut them to make at least a four inch gap in the root for you'll most likely need that gap to get to other roots underneath. I've used that method to take out far more saplings than I care to try and count.

I've also used my garage /semi industrial water suction vacuum and often used it to suck out the dissolved soil /liquid mud to leave me with a lot of quick easy working space.

I also usually used branch loppers to cut the roots out to get the gap mentioned above and only resorted to an axe in despertation as swinging one at roots can be unkind to your hands and feet big time.

A cheap Chinese rough toothed hand pruning saw also is good for severing the one or two tap roots under the stump once you have powerwasher blasted them clean and free of earth.

When you eventually get the stump free don't be a hero and try lifting it out the hole , for it could weigh far more than you think .

Instead roll it a bit to one side and back fill the hole on the side you nhave just created space in ,then roll it onto the back fill and do the unfilled bit . Keep on with this rocking & rolling till the root is level with the surrounding soil and leave the stump a couple of weeks if you can to let it lose any soil and some of its water content then roll it to one side till its dry enough to burn with the other bits to give you potash for your composting mixes .

or use the stump as a feature in your garden and let it rot away over the years.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 2/23/2012, 7:21 pm

newstart wrote:Ok I have started to cut down the mulberry trees that the birds gave me. well all the trees are cut down and 2 of the stumps are gone. that was some work but i did it. cheers but now on to the big one. This guy just dose not want to leave. I have cut it down to a shorter stump now digging up the roots and cutting to get everything out. I have been digging and cutting for 45 min. and this stump will not even wiggle the smallest amount. I am taking a break lol

Howdy Newstart:

First take your 4 wheel drive truck fairly close to the stump. Hook a stout chain to the stump and your truck. Put your truck into 4 wheel drive Low. Ease the truck away from the stump trying not to spin your tires. Most stumps of the size you have will come right out.

When you drive your truck into your yard make sure you don't drive over septic tanks or drain lines. That could be a stinky problem. Getting a truck out of a septic tank is not what I would call fun. Very Happy

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 2/23/2012, 7:41 pm

thanks everyone for all the tips I am watering the area now so hopefully in the morning it will be nice and soft.

wardinwake as far as the 4 wheel drive do you think this will work Cool

this tree is a huge pain !!! 00721

thats about as close as I can get lol. this tree is a huge pain !!! 889526 this tree is a huge pain !!! 889526

no really I couldnt get a truck back there its a small back yard with no entry for a truck . but will remember that tip for the future
newstart
newstart

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down