Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2012 garden excitement Toplef102012 garden excitement 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2012 garden excitement I22gcj102012 garden excitement 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2012 garden excitement Toplef102012 garden excitement 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2012 garden excitement I22gcj102012 garden excitement 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2012 garden excitement

+6
UnderTheBlackWalnut
curio
walshevak
FamilyGardening
Lavender Debs
Dr.Bigfoot
10 posters

Go down

2012 garden excitement Empty 2012 garden excitement

Post  Dr.Bigfoot 2/21/2012, 8:54 pm

So my husband decided to start a project to divert the neighbor's toxic runoff away from our raspberries (they overwater and their water wasn't friendly to our raspberries Evil or Very Mad ) Well, he's still not done because of a good friend we call procrastination. Hopefully he'll get it done in time for me to start planting out there. In the meantime, what are things that should be started from seed now so I can at least get started with the process indoors. Gardening will be interesting this year since I'm growing a little seedling of our own (21 wks along today). I'm hoping we'll have better luck with zucchini and cucumber this year. They grew beautifully up on the deck 2 yrs ago but only got to flower stage last year before the cold weather took them out. I'd love to have stuff we can puree for baby food so we're going to plant peas again as well as carrots. Are sweet potatoes as easy to grow as regular potatoes? Those did quite well too. The broccoli gave us one floret and the cauliflower didn't do anything. The potato leaves blocked the sun from the spinach so i'll have to keep those apart. I haven't looked in the boxes to see what the garlic did over the winter...maybe I should do that soon. When do those get harvested? Closer to summer? I'm sure baby will love garlic infused breast milk
Dr.Bigfoot

Back to top Go down

2012 garden excitement Empty Re: 2012 garden excitement

Post  Lavender Debs 2/21/2012, 10:26 pm

You grow girl! Hey, everyone needs a friend they can count on. I've depended on procrastination more than once.

Nothing NEEDS to be started inside right now but I am going to be starting broccoli and cauliflower to plant out in April (any day now, me and my good friend are getting to work)

Congratulations on your sprout!!!

Maybe you should be growing things that make good ....ummmm, (is there a delicate way to put this?) baby elixir that comes direct from momma rather than running it through the baby bullit first. But next year...you blend girl ....and again, congratulations!

Debs....who doesn't really know of anyone up in Washington who are growing sweet potatoes. FBmom? Nona?
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/22/2012, 12:43 am

Congrats on your wee little sprout!!!.....cheers how exciting

i have read sweet potatoes do not grow to well in our part of the world.....

i have little seedlings going broc's...cauli's...onions....leeks....artichokes....cabbage...collard greens...

lettuce and spinch (first time sprouting them indoors) the last two years we planted right in the ground...and they did great!....some spinach made it thru the winter!

my peas are going straight into the ground tomorrow.....Very Happy ( i hope )

i want to start all my tomato plants.....i have just one right now....i wanted to see if some seeds i saved from a volunteer tomato last year would sprout and sure enough three of them did Very Happy i trying to hold off until march to start my tomato plants....its hard to wait!

i sprouted a pepper plant....again just wanted to see if it would sprout....last year i couldnt get any to sprout.....but...i have a couple growing right now ....again a bit to early i believe.....

again congrats!

happy growing Very Happy

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Bigfoot 2/22/2012, 10:04 am

Thanks for the ideas of what I can try to start. Last year I think I was too excited to plant in our brand new boxes and may have put the tomatoes out too soon. The radishes loved it out there and grew like crazy...we got a little tired of those since I kept replanting them. I guess this year is a little too early to puree foods for the little one and next summer she'll be old enough that I won't have to puree the foods, just steam them. Darn summer babies!
Well, step one, uncover the boxes and check on the garlic and herbs that overwintered and step two will be to plot out where to plant stuff. The rosemary on our deck is like a little shrub now! Oh and since I had relocated it from the front yard, we have rosemary that sprouted up there too. The sage did the same thing. I may have to make some browned butter sage sauce and cheese ravioli! How do I grow cheese? Laughing
Dr.Bigfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/22/2012, 10:23 am

Dr.Bigfoot wrote:....snip..... How do I grow cheese?

Gross out warning! Skip if you have morning sickness.....

You can grow cheese if you do not wash the folds of your baby’s neck (PLEASE don't ask me how I know..... I was a BAD mommy the first month of the first baby)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Bigfoot 2/22/2012, 10:27 am

Laughing OMG! That's hilarious! Don't worry, no morning sickness for me. Good to know about wiping out all those creases though!
Dr.Bigfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/22/2012, 10:28 am

Since they don't come with instruction manuals or extended warranties, I sometimes wonder how we managed. Razz

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/22/2012, 10:41 am

Thank you Kay......listen to her momma doc.

Debs.....wondering if the foot prints of baby big foot can possibly be bigger than my bigfoot babies.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

2012 garden excitement Empty last year's tomatoes

Post  curio 2/22/2012, 10:47 am

You mentioned that your tomatoes didn't "work" last year. Neither did ours, and we had ours in a raised bed in an unheated greenhouse. It never got warm enough here to warrant opening the windows of that greenhouse... which is WAY colder than what tomatoes like.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 2/22/2012, 10:53 am

If you are interested in having puree, you might do some research on freezing baby food. I have never done it, (kids WAY predate garden), but if you check it out and find it to be recommended it could be fun to introduce some garden foods that way. Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/24/2012, 2:51 pm

Dr Bigfoot,

Sweet potatoes are not recommended by the Oregon Extension Service for either the Coastal Region or Western Valleys of Oregon Region (sorry, Portland residents). We just don't get enough heat for a long enough period.
However, that has not prevented me from trying things that are not recommended for my region. I am just aware that if they might not be as sucessful as I want.

Congratulations on your new sprout.

Don't forget, some of your crops may be frozen, so you just might be getting that bullet out and processing your own grown baby food.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 2/25/2012, 6:38 pm

cheers Yay! Congratulations on the baby! Oh my goodness do I love babies. Mine is 15 months old now, and he's keeping me from sprouting anything indoors. I'm giving up on the lettuces since they can be direct sown, but I'll have to come up with some solution for broccoli, tomatoes and bell peppers since they need the head start.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/25/2012, 6:58 pm

congratulations on having to make another couple of ANSFG beds .Wink

When munchking the third was am active wriggler and she went on to rice flakes . I can still see her trying to suck it off the roof of her mouth and the look of disgust she gave when she found that what was in her mouth was not a teat .

It wasn't long bfore we were making up our own liquidized rice & fish slurry which she scoffed with relish . We froze it in ice cube trays , which were stored in a freezer bag. one thing we did do was always have some commercialy made stuff for we were able to take these with us whenever we went out as there is nothing worse to my mind than a thoughtless parent who failed to think ahead with a hungry crying baby .

It was not long before all sorts of stuff was going down the harch though she did grimace at a mashed up well cooked brussels sprout .. several hours later the daiper ( SP ) was not much fun either.

Really soft mashed up cooked carrots and carefully checked for bones fish always went down with a big smile as did ground up ( in the mortar & pestle ) cooked chicken and rice .

So did yoghurts but now at ten yrs old she does not like the yoghurts.

I have a very special naturally done picture of munchkin that I'll need to dig out .. it might make you all smile and go " Awwww " , a wee bit.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 2/26/2012, 9:40 am

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:If you are interested in having puree, you might do some research on freezing baby food. I have never done it, (kids WAY predate garden), but if you check it out and find it to be recommended it could be fun to introduce some garden foods that way. Smile

Nothing to research. I did this for my baby because I didn't like the ingredient lists on baby food. Cook whatever-it-is (fruit or veggie) until soft, run through food processor, freeze in ice cube trays, move to ziplocs once frozen, thaw one at a time to feed. That's it - very easy.
jpatti
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum