Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Toplef10Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 I22gcj10Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Toplef10Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 I22gcj10Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Toy Box 3 (the charm)

+23
southern gardener
Goosegirl
KDeus
GWN
dixie
givvmistamps
hopeless151
Daniel9999
morganfam7
UnderTheBlackWalnut
Windsor.Parker
Furbalsmom
CindiLou
shannon1
Chopper
gwennifer
walshevak
curio
nancy
quiltbea
FamilyGardening
RoOsTeR
Lavender Debs
27 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Empty Re: Toy Box 3 (the charm)

Post  Daniel9999 4/3/2012, 10:00 pm

Great video Debs. Everything looks really great.

Tomorrow's forecast is calling for T storms here in the Willamette Valley. Looks like I won't be able to get out and do much in the garden tommorrow No..

I never catch up to you guys at this rate..
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/3/2012, 10:18 pm

we had hail at our house today affraid

we almost ....or i should say....i almost had hubby uncover the babies out side....i was afraid they were going to cook under the plastic hoops.....he said no they will be fine.....

well as we were driving home tonight the sun was shining really bright....and of course im naggin hubby saying....i sure hope the babies werent cookin under those hoops while we were goine all day....(went to another city for the day)

well.....we get home and there is a ton of hail on the roof tops and covering our lawn.....What a Face thank goodness hubby kept those babies covered....they would have been killed for sure.....shot from the sky....pale

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/13/2012, 9:14 pm

Friday the 13th. I just like saying that any time I can.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Friday11

Just a few of way too many tomatoes.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Friday12

A new 4x4. I wanted a rain cover on it that would not implode from the weight of the rain. Ray took a couple of frames from older 4x4 gardens (we are busy re-arranging things to fit in the new greenhouse) and connected them with slats, making a sloap to the back of the cover. He put some spare chick wire over the frame and covered the whole thing with a poly cover. The chick wire keeps the plastic from sagging into the frame. It has worked well with the added bonus of keeping everything nice and warm. Last year my garbanzo beans struggled. This year, with in the poly cover they are thriving. In the above pic the cover is propped open by a brick so that it does not turn into an oven.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Friday13

The lid is on a hinge. It is easy to work inside with the lid open. I have a lattice that I set on top when I am planting things. It gets in the way of closing the lid so it does not live on the box. In early May I am going to move the cover to another new 4x4 and plant my eggplant and peppers in it. Maybe I will get a few of those this summer.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Friday14

Coming soon to a salad plate at my house.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Friday15

There are peas, and peas, and peas.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Friday16

This is just one side of the Toy Box. There is broccoli and cauliflower in the little cold frame. Potatoes in the blue half barrels. Thanks to curio, I did some research on the net and discovered that Burbank Russets are one of the Indeterminate types of potatoes that should do well in the potato tower Chris made for me a couple of years ago. I'm a little jazzed about starting those. Thanks Curio!

Debs....feeling a little sun burnt.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Friday17 Cherry Blossom. In the PNW, if we have to imagine the tropics, today is our point of reference. Shirt-sleeve weather, blue sky, BBQ for dinner. 63/41, that is tropical for us. Sunrise, 6:22 AM, Sunset 7:57 PM.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 4/13/2012, 9:32 pm

I like those covers....gotta do something like that myself come fall for my bed.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/14/2012, 12:15 am

Debs, that looks great! I like the sloped arrangement you all came up with. It's definitely needed in that rainy zone, or you'll get mushrooms and slugs for a crop instead. Boy, I remember those darn banana slugs that came out when it rained. I crashed my bicycle many times because I didn't pay enough attention to the bike path and hit a slug. affraid
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/14/2012, 2:49 am

sunny the toy box is looking great debs!.....i thought of you today when hubby and i were out at the garden store and i was looking at all the differnt lavenders they have Wink

we seen some Burbank Russets at the garden store today.....humm :drunken: .....maybe we should give the garbage can potatoes a try again this year.....last year we did white, reds and yukons....they did great....they just didnt produce more then one layer of taters.....thanks to curio...we maybe able to figure this whole hilling thing out bounce

debs....i have read that you should cut off any green before hilling....we didnt do that last year either.....we just hilled up over any green growth.....

why are potatoes so exciting?? jocolor i look forward the most to digging for tater treasure's............

hugs

rose..... who wonders how to break the news to hubby that we need to go back to the garden store for those taters and want to do garbage can taters again this year What a Face
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/14/2012, 5:51 pm

Lovely Debs, really like that slanted rain bonnet with a removeable frame.

I have not started a single tomato seedling and now it is too late. Road trip to Territorial Seeds next week! Wahooooo! I am determined to try Indigo Rose (blue tomato) and then some ultra early and early tomatoes this year.

Love the weather right now.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/14/2012, 6:36 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:....snip....I have not started a single tomato seedling and now it is too late. Road trip to Territorial Seeds next week! Wahooooo! I am determined to try Indigo Rose (blue tomato) and then some ultra early and early tomatoes this year.....

Haha! I feel your (ummmm) pain. SO sad (tehe)

I just read about the Indigo Rose blue tomato. I want I want I want, so I will be looking for your report. Looks like you are going the opposit way that I am, all my new tries are longer season. Still I have Siltz, Beaverlodge Plum, Silvery Fur Tree and Gold Nugget from former trials. I am giving Legend another try but was not impressed last year. I really liked picking buckets of green tomatoes in mid September and cooking with them until late November. I think I have a sample plant of Long Keeper coming just to see if I can get a salad tomato instead of just soup and sauce tomatoes (JUST....as if).

Debs…..home from the tulip fields.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 4/15/2012, 12:14 am

Hi Deb, this is off topic, but I just wanted you to know I have 14 lavender seedlings about 3 inches tall that I grew from seed via winter sowing. I'm SO proud of myself. Of course zone 7B humidity will probably kill them, but I will leave plenty of space around them for air circulation & be careful with watering. You are always an encourager.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/18/2012, 4:39 pm

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 April_15

Last night I made an artichoke and leek lasagna, tonight I will make a leek and basmati soup to go with Jason's chicken. I keep trying to run out of leeks but it seems like there are always more. I have been serving kale every time I think I can get away with it. Chives, marjoram, thyme and parsley are snipped almost daily......BUT today I had my very first spring Salad!!!!!!

Debs.....who also lives in a humid 7b (ish) and is sure Dixie's lavender will be a joy!

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 April_16 Apple blossom budds. Strong wet system riding in on the south wind. 59/37 (13 hours, 52 minutes from sunrise to set)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/19/2012, 1:07 am

Deb those salad fixings Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 211713 look awesome!

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/19/2012, 10:45 am

Lidia Bistianach is already bragging about eating spring Fava Beans. Dang Lidia, how do you do it? Is it possible that they grow faster in New York than they do in the PNW?

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 April_18

Spring planted Fava Beans.....not ready for harvest.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 April_19

Same seed planted last fall.....I see a few budds but still, not ready to harvest. How does Lidia do it?

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 April_20

HA! I have radishes. Did not read anything in Lidia's post about radishes.

Debs .....hungry for more

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 April_21 Toddler Tomatoes. The promised rain held off yesterday but the threat has not gone away. 90% chance of measurable precipitation today (4-18). Not really cold, it is still blowing from the south 59/46. Beautiful sunrise. We are only 5 minutes shy of a 14 hour day. Sunrise at 6:10 AM, setting at 8:05PM

Last edited by Lavender Debs on 4/19/2012, 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/19/2012, 10:48 am

Furballmom
Road trip to Territorial Seeds next week! Wahooooo!
We went in search of territorial seeds a few times and never found it.
Is it well marked?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/20/2012, 9:36 pm

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 April_23

It was supposed to rain all the day long. Instead I got spring gardening weather. Yeah! Jason helped me move the tractor to the box that I am going to grow corn in. The girls went right to work getting things ready. It went from a weedy mess to a clean, pretty garden. I was shocked to see the number of fat grubs and cut worms they found. Help yourself girls! On Monday, when I turn the compost, I'll put a wheel barrow's worth on top of the MM and let them work through that.

After pulling up the back of the rain-bonnet I planted three "Beaver Lodge Plum Tomatoes." Last year they produced tomatoes in spite of my neglect. They are determinant but in their pots they stayed very small so I am hoping they do OK in my box. Before tacking the rainbonnet back down (it really is early for tomatoes) I also stuck in soil blocks of arugula, celery and cilantro.

Originally I went out to make soil blocks of basil and the celeriac that I finally found. Instead I potted up my peppers and eggplant, a couple of big pots of mixed lettuces and some kale to give to friends. Maybe before Sabbath starts at sunset I'll get those Soil blocks made. Maybe it can wait until Sunday.

Debs......feeling like she got a few things done.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 April_24 Last leeks until fall. There was some serious rain this morning that looked like it was here to stay, but on the softest of breezes it drifted away. The day became a gardener’s delight. Mostly we sat and watched the nuggets. The weather station tells me it only got up to 62*, I thought it was warmer than that. Weather underground thinks it will fall to 43 tonight. Sunrise 6:09 AM, Sunset at 8:07 for 13 hours and 58 minutes of daylight.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/21/2012, 12:27 am

awww the nuggets look great debs!!

those girls are hard at work and loving every bit of it Very Happy

thanks again for sharing!

hugs

rose....who was able to up pot some more baby tomato plants....a few more went out into the green house too.....so far so good Very Happy
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/21/2012, 12:15 pm

First Tomatoes planted. Beaverlodge Plum 55days-D

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 April_26

I planted some of these last year, then neglected them. They produced tomatoes anyway, one of them made tomatoes even after I thought I had killed it by ignoring it. There it was, all dead looking except for the pretty red tomatoes it made. These are determinant but do not grow upright. They look like they would do well in a hanging basket so I am hopeful that I can train them out the side of the box to drape into the walk way.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 April_27

I think I may have another salad today.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 April_28

More radishes.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 April_29

Just a taste of spring spinach.

Debs.....Taking a ride today to deliver some extra veggie starts, including the last of the Beaverlodge tomatoes.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 April_30 Tiny, out of focus potato sprout. Somehow we have a pretty weekend. What? Love it! 66/50, but the bold prediction for tomorrow is 70*F! 14 hours + 1 minute of daylight. Wow, life is good.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/21/2012, 5:54 pm

Things are lookin' good, but I would peel those peat pots away from around those plants. It'll wick the water away from your crops.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/21/2012, 6:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up Bea. Generally wicking water away from plants is not a problem in the PNW. Some years we don't have rain the last two weeks of July to the first two weeks of August, than again for part of September-October. I did peel the bottoms off but left the upper most part attached. They help keep the cut worms away.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 4/21/2012, 10:47 pm

Chickens rock! Those are some sweet little girls you have there Debs....what breed are they?

Felt like summer today.

sunny
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/22/2012, 3:32 pm

GWN wrote:Furballmom
Road trip to Territorial Seeds next week! Wahooooo!
We went in search of territorial seeds a few times and never found it.
Is it well marked?

It is only about three or four blocks East of Interstate 5 at the Cottage Grove Exit. Located on the left corner and well identifiyed.

No "Indigo Rose" tomatoes in stock Sad They will have more, but it is too far to travel just for these plants. Hope they will have some in stock the next time I get to Eugene/Cottage Grove. Here on the coast it is still much too cool to transplant the tomatoes outside. So far the baby tomato plants I did purchase are sitting on a table in my enclosed porch and seem to be doing ok.

Great job Debs, love seeing your posts.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/23/2012, 10:45 am

Daniel9999 wrote:Chickens rock! Those are some sweet little girls you have there Debs....what breed are they?

Felt like summer today.

-

The speckled hens are easy, Barred Rock. I get the name mixed up on the dark hens with those small feisty chickens, I think mine are called Bantam?

I'm not really sure of the name. Put my youngest in charge of easter baskets last year and I got a plain cardboard box full of little black furballs. They sure are sweet girls! I thought this year he would get me bunnies but his dad convinced him to wait until after summer camping season.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/23/2012, 10:58 am

Furbalsmom wrote: ....snip....No "Indigo Rose" tomatoes in stock They will have more, but it is too far to travel just for these plants. Hope they will have some in stock the next time I get to Eugene/Cottage Grove.....

OH NO! I am feeling unreasonably disappointed. Next year for me.

Ray and I took a road trip to give away extra seedlings (said I had give-aways on face book and they were gone before I could refresh my page.....wow!) of kale and mixed lettuces (got a nice tray of cinnamon rolls from Ray's sister, what is it about seedlings?). I only had two extra Beaverlodge Plums but there was a crazy bit of excitement about them. I actually started praying that they would do well for those who have them (of all the things in the world to pray for???)

Five new plants came from TSC, two less than I thought I ordered. I did not get the big San Maranzo and the Stripped Roma. I got one called Grandma's something that I do not remember ordering BUT when I went back and checked my old order forms, there were only these 5 on the sheets. How did I not notice that before?

Next weekend it should cool off. I have way too many Silvery Fir Tree tomatoes. I am going to scrounge some hanging pots and give these away for mothers day. The extra I'll put on Facebook and see if I can find homes for those. I will try to put the rest of mine in by Memorial Weekend and TRY to give the rest away. People are going to start hiding when I show up.

Debs.... off to string up peas
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/15/2012, 3:24 pm

Oh brother! I came in to get out of the sun......what?Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Mother13

I am discovering an unexpected problem with the soil-blocker. It is so much fun that I tend to start too many things.... like tomatoes. Facebook friends want them so maybe they will all find a good home?

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Mother14

I have a new favorite weed (it was nettles, then it was dandelions). There are nasturtiums popping up all over the place. I am guessing they came out of the chicken yard. The problem is that the seed from packets that I plant on purpose do not want to sprout. Gurrrrrr. In the fall I put my vines into their yard just so they can have something fun for the day. I usually do not worry about weeds or bugs when I clean up their yard. My girls usually take care of anything that I don't want in the compost (like potatoes, the nugguts pre compost potato skins and no more potatoes growing in odd places.). Note to self, chickens might not like nasturtium seeds.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Mother15

This is my apple tree.....on Mothers Day. As of today almost all the blossoms have dropped. I'm SO excited, making more soil blocks to plant some corn. WooT!

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Mother16

Am I strong enough yet? Ray and I have been eating lots of spinach (and mustard) before it realizes how hot it has been. The pretty red spinach is bolting already. The green was still good as of sixteen minutes ago.

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 May_1510

At center stage are the Provider green bush beans that I trans-planted just this morning. The nasturtiums that don't want to sprout, mixed sunflowers (about half have come up), Brussels sprouts, collards, large-leaf basil and one ugly duckling basil (when it grows up it should be a green bean of some kind). There is another tray with more basil (sweet and mixed), marigolds, calendula, cosmos, a Japanese herb, fennel and celeriac. I still have to figure out where the ten unexpected artichokes will go. I know what I was feeling but what was I thinken?

Debs.......we are in the fish business! (ok, it is home aquaponics, not a business)

Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 Mother17 Pet store feeder fish (I like to call them rescues, sounds so green) to learn and perfect the system...and for that good fish water! La Nina seems to be vacationing in the Yukon. Whoo-hoo! 70/54 with 0% chance of rain!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/15/2012, 4:10 pm

Debs.....Looks like you're having a fun time in your garden. Love the pictures and the oratory.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/16/2012, 2:39 am

Very Happy i always look forward to postings from the toybox!!

Debs everything looks great!.....love the blossoms on your apple tree!

hugs

rose who over plants as well Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 3170584802 ...because she has been reminded Razz ..... that they are just a few seeds any ways......Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 889526 oh my though Shocked what to do when they ALL germ????.....now why dont we have that same problem with carrots? Toy Box 3 (the charm) - Page 4 1280598131 you know that we still only have one....yes...one carrot sprout for carrot week........What a Face
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum