Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Not quite so frozen up this weekend  Toplef10Not quite so frozen up this weekend  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Not quite so frozen up this weekend  I22gcj10Not quite so frozen up this weekend  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Not quite so frozen up this weekend  Toplef10Not quite so frozen up this weekend  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Not quite so frozen up this weekend  I22gcj10Not quite so frozen up this weekend  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Not quite so frozen up this weekend

5 posters

Go down

Not quite so frozen up this weekend  Empty Not quite so frozen up this weekend

Post  plantoid 2/11/2012, 12:55 pm

With all the rather inclement weather we have been having this year , I was begining to wonder if I would ever be able to buy in any daffodil and tulip ready grown potted up bulbs to populate the brand new raised beds in the front garden .
As they have been frozen solid down to 200 mm ( 8 inches ) or more for most of the last three weeks.
I'd have been quite happy to buy bare bulbs later on in the year and plant them then as they tend to be much cheaper and it's OK planting them whilst it's warm .

However life does not take into account the charms & love of a woman . This afternon , whilst I've been completing a massive planting /seed sowing schedule for both the front & rear gardens ( because of having to start it all from scratch ) , my wife took our Munchkin out shopping to give me the peace & quiet I craved..

On their return three hours later I get the , " Darling come and see what I've got for you ,..... close your eyes and let me lead you out to the car " routine.
Being aware that one time I was taken out to a bag of horse manure & as it was just above freezing point I played coy , pleaded insanity & tried to stay indoors to finish the schedules.
But as most married men will know , a woman can be very insistant when backed up by a precocious 10 yr old mini version of themselves Laughing

Lead like a condemed man , with eyes closed , I went to my fate in the back of the car. On opening my eyes I was presented with 8 x 4 pot packs of 4 growing bulbs in each pot and 4 x 4 pot packs of half dead primrose plant .

Arrrragh ...... my world collapsed inside my head .. I just smiled and said , " Thank you Sweethearts " & gave them a hug .

Now an hour and a half later , frozen to the bone marrow, they are all nested down in the front beds for the coming spring show .
I havn't a clue as to the height of the tulips and daffodils nor the shape of the flowers etc. , that was not on the packs
The primroses will be renamed " The Survivors " if they make it back from their imminent demise because of not being watered for at least a week whilst in the shop .

All over Europe this ancient ritual is being enacted .. don't ever let it die it's called love . I love you
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Not quite so frozen up this weekend  Empty Re: Not quite so frozen up this weekend

Post  Furbalsmom 2/11/2012, 12:59 pm

Not quite so frozen up this weekend  641297 , but heartwarming too.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Not quite so frozen up this weekend  Empty Re: Not quite so frozen up this weekend

Post  GWN 2/11/2012, 1:02 pm

plantoid
Sounds like the horse manure might have been a better "surprise"
You really are quite a writer.

One question though, why not plant the tulips in the fall?
I am thinking perhaps I might have really screwed up last fall, in planting a few hundred tulips. (I have lived for 15 years in zone 8 down on the oregon coast)
Do tulip bulbs not overwinter?.... in ..... say .... 5a zoning?

You really sound like you have had a much colder winter than I
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/11/2012, 1:08 pm

That's what I was intending ..planting daff's and tulips in the autumn.
But as the beds were not built & filled with MM until a few weeks ago I was leaning towards a quick fix with bulbs of a known quality and size .
Using only just enough to give a bit of a vanity show for the nosey neighbours and our friends .
Come Fall this year I hope to buy a couple of hundred of assorted daff's and tulip bulbs for a stunning show next year.

re overwintering bulbs in your area ... in a freezer . Wink
best see if anyone else in the same zone as you has any info for you . This side of the pond will most likely be totaly different , however I seem to recall that one year we had eight weeks of around minus 11 C Jan & Feb ( what that is in F , I don't readily know ) but we did have a shed load of dwarf & mid height tulips poke their heads up in spring.

Thinking about it , tulips come from Holland / Netherlands ,they also get stonking cold winters down to minus 6 F and still grow tulips outside for bulb sales . It is also the same in Spalding here in the UK , where I've never heard of there not being enough tulip heads for the annual Spalding flower festival in May ( look it up on line ) .
I've known times when it where it was too warm and they had probs trying to keep the petals on the heads for the festival .

Last edited by plantoid on 2/11/2012, 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/11/2012, 1:16 pm

I am fully expecting a very showy entrance to my hard this spring, perhaps we can "compare"
I dug up my mothers garden last spring, before anything had started to grow, she has dementia and so really could not tell me what anything was.
So I planted all the bulbs and created a "surprise" garden
Then added about a hundred tulips and other bulbs. Funny I had forgotten about all of that until I saw your post.
Something ELSE to be excited about spring for. This is my first year on this property and i am SOOO excited to see what survived the winter.

I also did the other bulb things like crocuses etc etc.

I thought having flowers would help attract the birds and the bees etc
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/11/2012, 1:30 pm

I have still got over 1,000 bubs corms and tubers ( specifically purchased by me three weeks ago ) for planting over the months of late Feb , March & April . ..no crocus yet though .
I also have about 16 pounds of assorted bulbs corms and tubers taken for the rear beds ( sleeping off the depth of winter in vermiculite ) that had been used as a holding farm last year because the landscapers were so far behind getting their work done .

The front gardens should have been completed in August last year & the rear ones in April last year ... this would have also have included in filling all all the beds with earth & vermiculite as a growing medium .
It was not till I joined this site In November last year that I found about MM being an enlightened way of doing my gardening .
The back beds are part earth filled and will get dug out this next month and be filled with a leafmould based MM like the front garden beds are.

So the delay in getting things built & finished etc.has been a blessing in disguise in a strange sort of way .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/11/2012, 2:03 pm

Stay warm Plantoid, your region is in sorta a mess right now. Been watching the news.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 2/11/2012, 2:54 pm

Because they were gifted to you with so much love, the tulips and "The Survivors" will turn out to be he most beautiful flowers in your garden!
lol!
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down