Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys Toplef10I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys I22gcj10I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys Toplef10I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys I22gcj10I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys

4 posters

Go down

I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys Empty I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys

Post  gusseyboy 2/10/2012, 9:00 am

This is going to be my 1st try at using sfg. I feel from what i read that this is an excellent way to grow vegetables, but when using it for fruit bushes I have a couple questions?
1. does it pay to go with a deeper bed, like 12"
2. how do I mix in new compost, since I'm not going to be pulling the plants out?
3. if there is any other suggestions that anyone could give a 1st time gardener.

gusseyboy
gusseyboy

Back to top Go down

I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys Empty Re: I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys

Post  HieronRemade 2/10/2012, 9:55 am

I started some dwarf blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries last year. While I used MM (MM = Mel's Mix, you'll see that a lot here!), I put them all in large pots rather than a SFG box.

Let's see what some of the more experienced SFGardeners say, but I would imagine that the bush berries you're interested in are either too big for SFG or at least big enough that it would make more sense to use a pot and save your box space for other crops. If you really want to do it in a box, Mel doesn't provide square requirements for those in the ANSFG book, but I'd say a raspberry cane would probably need at least one square and a dwarf blueberry at least two, probably four at full size in a 6" bed. Even at 12" I would have to believe a blueberry would need more than one square.

As far as compost, you'd just sprinkle some on the surface of the soil...your MM should settle enough that there will be room for that.

That's all I got...hopefully someone else has actually done this and can give you their experiences!
HieronRemade
HieronRemade

Male Posts : 139

https://www.youtube.com/user/HieronRemade

Back to top Go down

I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys Empty Re: I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys

Post  gusseyboy 2/10/2012, 1:59 pm

Thanks man
gusseyboy
gusseyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/11/2012, 12:53 pm

I was wondering about blueberrys, blackberrys, raspberrys, & huckleberrys 654548 gussyboy

Sorry I have no knowledge of growing berries in Mel's Mix, though I do have a cherry tree in a huge pot of Mel's Mix. I just put compost on top of the MM.

If you roots are not too close to the surface, you could "scratch in" some new compost on the top, but there will be some nutrients soaking into the lower levels of your Mel's Mix just from watering, even if you just put the compost on top of the MM.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/12/2012, 10:35 am

Furbalsmom wrote: gussyboy...snip....If you roots are not too close to the surface, you could "scratch in" some new compost on the top, but there will be some nutrients soaking into the lower levels of your Mel's Mix just from watering, even if you just put the compost on top of the MM.

I should go in and read the original post but can I just say; Don't "scratch in" on blueberries. Their roots grow in a mat near the surface.

I grow about 6 different blues in pots of MM. You are fine putting just an inch of compost on top of your growing medium. If you want to add a tablespoon of organic fertilizer (I occasionally use an organic rhododendron fertilizer, they have the same needs) and THEN cover that with a inch or so of finished compost....no scratching anything in. Some of my peeps are careful to not burry the "crown" but I am not, the bush does not seem to be sensitive to that the way strawberries are.

Don’t know if you asked this or not BUT I only grow annuals in my boxes. Anything that lives longer than a year (berries, rhubarb, asparagus, trees) gets its own pot or mini box of MM.

Debs.....all jazzed about Lincoln's birthday!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/12/2012, 10:51 am

By the way.....ALWAYS follow FBmom's advice on everything else, she is amazing. I just felt a sudden rush of mother hen......wait, hens scratch...scratch that, ...momma-bear protection for the root mat of blues.

Welcome to the board!

Debs....who also has a tub of mixed raspberries in a huge pot of MM. Now that I think about it there is also a Merion berry and a Logan berry wintering in pots of MM but those grow so well in the PNW that I hope to find dirt homes for them after spring is officially here.....anyone want either of those?
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/12/2012, 1:00 pm

LavenderDebs wrote:but can I just say; Don't "scratch in" on blueberries. Their roots grow in a mat near the surface.

Thank you "momma bear" for saving gussyboys blueberries. I would feel really bad if I caused damage to those root mats near the surface.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  gusseyboy 2/12/2012, 2:32 pm

thanks, alot to everyone posting in with suggestions!
gusseyboy
gusseyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down