Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mushroom Compost Questions - Page 2 Toplef10Mushroom Compost Questions - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mushroom Compost Questions - Page 2 I22gcj10Mushroom Compost Questions - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mushroom Compost Questions - Page 2 Toplef10Mushroom Compost Questions - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mushroom Compost Questions - Page 2 I22gcj10Mushroom Compost Questions - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mushroom Compost Questions

+12
madnicmom
boffer
RoOsTeR
Furbalsmom
yolos
walshevak
camprn
littlejo
CharlesB
tomperrin
newstart
llama momma
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mushroom Compost Questions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mushroom Compost Questions

Post  camprn 5/19/2013, 1:50 pm

Grapes wrote:Go light on the peat moss for the mushroom compost?
I would go light on the mushroom compost and heavier with a compost of higher NPK value.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mushroom Compost Questions - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/19/2013, 2:05 pm

camprn wrote:...
Grapes wrote:And is it true that chicken, cow, horse...etc only count as one ingredient in the mix? I have chickity poo poo and some really good composted cow manure.
Some say yes, some say no. I say manure composts from different animals have different nutritional values for the soilless mix, therefore are considered different types of compost for the purposes of making the Mel's Mix.
I agree with camp on that, plus it makes it easier for me get the volume I want.

I've been making the same mix for 6 years. It includes multiple manures that comprise 40-50% of my mix. I'm happy with my results, and I don't use amendments, additives, or teas.

I was surprised when I read Mel's post in the link that I provided above. I didn't realize that manures were supposed to be only 20%. Now that I know that my mix doesn't meet the criteria to be called MM, it would be hypocritical for me to continue calling my mix MM. I will begin to call my mix my 'growing medium'.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/19/2013, 5:22 pm

Boffer,
I've read Mel's comments about animal dung manure numerous times .
Yes neat dung and urine will give or tend to give an acidic compost . It seems to me that Mel has said this for his initial box fill of mix using commercially bagged materials .

I read it as what you make your own compost of as beieng quite a different matter . That's why I've been using the Berkley 18 day hot composting method and component percentage lists.

I can see where he is coming from if it is neat stuff without any beddings & if the animals all have the same diet of grass , though for the life of me I cant' see how the heck horse dung on hemp bedding , horse dung on paper or horse dung on straw , or any mixed in with hay as well , sheep muck on straw , shavings , steamed wood chip ,paper hemp or straw steamed de dusted sawdust .( Same list ) for pigs , turkeys, chickens , ducks and many other animals can ever be considered just one element of the MM because of the different diets and different beddings the NPK's are different so are the trace elements .

Home farmed pigs eat different diets from field raised catttle , barn fed horses , so do poultry and cage raised rabbits ..... their outputs are quite different .

Though whilst I use a big part of those materials in my compost I also go big on a big range green stuff, dead cut flowers , garden cleanings , carboard and green wood sawdust . My muck worms live in the compost bins .... zillions of them so I get free worm casts as well .

After it is all composted out in various ratios of things , I do a final blending of two or three bins at a time so the end mix is way more varied than any of the bagged stuff will ever be .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/19/2013, 5:31 pm

Plantoid, yes, there are multiple threads on the forum that support your position. The consensus is that different stuff in, going through different digestive tracts, produces different stuff out.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/19/2013, 5:51 pm

One thing that my own compost is getting is cut Comfrey . ( Bocking 14 type )

I grow 11 plants out by the front low garden wall between me and the street as the wall is ugly pebble dashed concrete block and it covers it.

It looks like I'll be able to get six or seven x 12 pounds or so of cuttings a year .
Comfrey is nigh on the holy grail of gardening for it has so many wierd and wonderful trace elements in it .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/19/2013, 5:52 pm

boffer wrote:Plantoid, yes, there are multiple threads on the forum that support your position. The consensus is that different stuff in, going through different digestive tracts, produces different stuff out.

" That , depends upon you're education Sorrrrr ! " Laughing Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/19/2013, 6:01 pm

+1 on the comfrey.
Regarding the mushroom compost and just an FYI, it isn't composted mushrooms, it's the used up substrate that the mushrooms are grown on. That is why is contains all that other stuff. What a Face

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Mushroom Compost Questions - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/19/2013, 6:02 pm

plantoid wrote:
boffer wrote:Plantoid, yes, there are multiple threads on the forum that support your position. The consensus is that different stuff in, going through different digestive tracts, produces different stuff out.

" That , depends upon you're education Sorrrrr ! " Laughing Laughing

Nah...I was just paraphrasing again! Wink
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/19/2013, 6:41 pm

In the end, it all comes down to the amount of different bacteria and fungi that is produced. All the strong nitrogen sources like manures, grass, etc. stimulate bacterial growth. All the carb sources stimulate fungi growth. You want a fantastic mix of both working in the heap to get a balanced end product. That is why we can make different composts with so many different ingredients and can all enjoy a lovely garden. It's the mixtures of 5 or more ingredients, where some are strong in nitrogen, others strong in carbs, and not a particular poop from certain poopers! I happen to use llama because I have it on hand. If I had horses, that's all I would use. Personally I'm against buying compost in bags and taking a gamble.
As I understand it, you can make great compost without any manure. You need plant based sources of nitrogen. It is all explained in wonderful detail in the book, Teaming with Microbes. Mel simplified it and made it as easy as possible if you are up to making your own compost for a great garden.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Grapes 5/19/2013, 9:48 pm

But I need it yesterday! Love the info.
Grapes
Grapes

Back to top Go down

Post  Grapes 5/19/2013, 9:55 pm

I have plants waiting but I have to get my sunbrite tomato plant in a pot now. Thought about mixing what I have. Composted cow manure(good local stuff), chickity poo poo, and Happy Frog potting soil, along with vermiculite and peat moss. Indeterminate tomato plant gets bottom leaves pulled off and planted to top leaves, right?

Grapes
Grapes

Back to top Go down

Post  Grapes 5/19/2013, 10:09 pm

I know happy frog is not really supposed to count but it seems pretty good to me, until I get the other stuff next week. Happy Frog Ingredients: Composted forest humus, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, earthworm castings, bat guano, humic acid (derived from Leonardite), oyster shell and dolomite lime (for pH adjustment).
Grapes
Grapes

Back to top Go down

Mushroom Compost Questions - Page 2 Empty Mushroom Compost

Post  MASFG 3/24/2014, 2:29 pm

Has any one used Just Natural brand mushroom compost. I bought some to use as 1 of my 5.
MASFG
MASFG

Male Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/24/2014, 5:31 pm

I haven't used that brand, but I use mushroom compost regularly as 1 of my 5.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/24/2014, 9:15 pm

walshevak wrote:I haven't used that brand, but I use mushroom compost regularly as 1 of my 5.

Kay

+1
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/24/2014, 9:34 pm

Bump

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Mushroom Compost Questions - Page 2 Empty A side question

Post  Windmere 3/24/2014, 10:12 pm

I know this thread is really about mushroom compost (which I use as one of my five and it seems to work quite well... I love the earthy smell).

My question is... has anyone tried Charlie's Compost?  It is made up of primarily composted chicken manure.

I bought some from the Amazon market:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AB2XPAE/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't even opened it yet.  I mainly bought it because I could not get my hands on some regular composted chicken manure (which I ultimately ended up getting at our local Pike's Nursery).  It sound like it's good stuff.  Anyone ever try it?
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/24/2014, 11:13 pm

Windmere wrote:I know this thread is really about mushroom compost (which I use as one of my five and it seems to work quite well... I love the earthy smell).

My question is... has anyone tried Charlie's Compost?  It is made up of primarily composted chicken manure.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AB2XPAE/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't even opened it yet.  I mainly bought it because I could not get my hands on some regular composted chicken manure (which I ultimately ended up getting at our local Pike's Nursery).  It sound like it's good stuff.  Anyone ever try it?
Here are the ingredients in Charlie's Compost

Chicken manure ~25%
Water ~30%
Clay ~10%
Wood products ~35%

and a material data sheet is here
[url=http://bwgs.blob.core.windows.net/docs/Charlies Compost.pdf]http://bwgs.blob.core.windows.net/docs/Charlies%20Compost.pdf[/url]

Isn't Charlie's pretty expensive.  I love the chicken compost from Pike's.  I think it is EB Stone.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 3/24/2014, 11:53 pm

yolos wrote:
Windmere wrote:I know this thread is really about mushroom compost (which I use as one of my five and it seems to work quite well... I love the earthy smell).

Here are the ingredients in Charlie's Compost

Chicken manure ~25%
Water ~30%
Clay ~10%
Wood products ~35%

and a material data sheet is here
[url=http://bwgs.blob.core.windows.net/docs/Charlies Compost.pdf]http://bwgs.blob.core.windows.net/docs/Charlies%20Compost.pdf[/url]

Isn't Charlie's pretty expensive.  I love the chicken compost from Pike's.  I think it is EB Stone.
Thanks for the ingredient breakdown yolos.  Yes, Charlie's Compost is a bit pricey.  When I ordered it, I couldn't get to Pike's. I just threw up my hands and had it delivered.  HOWEVER, the price currently listed on Amazon is a lot higher than when I bought it.  I noticed that many of the soil preparations offered on Amazon have gone up within the last three or four days (including pre-mixed MM).

In any case, I did get to Pike's and I got plenty of the EB Stone chicken compost.  I now have an abundance of compost sources.  I think I'll just add a touch of Charlie's Compost to a few boxes.  Plus, my daughter has a flower garden.  I simply can't afford to use MM in her flower garden.  I've had good success using Jungle Growth for flowers and I might add some Charlie's for an extra boost.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2