Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I am getting worms tomorrow, some ?? Toplef10I am getting worms tomorrow, some ?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I am getting worms tomorrow, some ?? I22gcj10I am getting worms tomorrow, some ?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I am getting worms tomorrow, some ?? Toplef10I am getting worms tomorrow, some ?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I am getting worms tomorrow, some ?? I22gcj10I am getting worms tomorrow, some ?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I am getting worms tomorrow, some ??

5 posters

Go down

I am getting worms tomorrow, some ?? Empty I am getting worms tomorrow, some ??

Post  GWN 1/30/2012, 10:52 pm

I really was surprised when I searched the internet, to find just a short one hour drive from here to get a worm tower, complete with worms.
I have decided it is the best solution to the cold winter, no way to compost, but perhaps I could be turning all those valuable veggies into worm castings.
WHen I was in Oregon, they just came naturally when I added sawdust to my compost, and presto I had tons of worms, but it is much too cold here.
So I am getting a tower that has 3 trays.
My question...... how do worm castings fit into Mels Mix? I currently have made Mels Mix from the recipe given in the book, but I am wondering if worm castings might count as several different types of compost, or as only one.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

I am getting worms tomorrow, some ?? Empty Re: I am getting worms tomorrow, some ??

Post  Furbalsmom 1/30/2012, 11:18 pm

GWN, worm castings are considered one type of compost, even though the worms eat lots of types of food to create the castings. (Sorry)
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

I am getting worms tomorrow, some ?? Empty Re: I am getting worms tomorrow, some ??

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/31/2012, 1:18 am

Was thinking only one type of compost as well. I've been researching this past week as I already own a Worm Factory worm composter, I had bought a few years ago. For one reason or another, I never got to use it, but have recently taken it out of storage, dusted it off and was hoping to order worms, but just found a source in a nearby town. One thing the manufactures site mentioned as okay to include in their home and as a food source is dryer lint. Shocked That one really surprised me. Mine is the five tray version below and even has the old style lid.
I am getting worms tomorrow, some ?? Worm_f10
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/31/2012, 10:17 am

I have had the worm castings before and am quite excited about doing it again. Having the trays will make it easier to "harvest" the castings.
When do YOUR worms arrive?
I am pretty sure that mine will fit under my kitchen sink.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/31/2012, 3:07 pm

There are loads of people on site who are worming it in their garages over winters similar to yours.

We are not quite so cool as you Wink our climate is more like a cool refridgerator than a freezer cabinet set on low .

Today whilst turning over the contents of one of three Dalek composters ( outside compost bins ) to aireate and dampen them down , I came across a massive fist sized ball of red composting worms intertwined in a mass of black dog hair .

I always empty the vacuum's tub into that bin on a regular basis and there is always a decent supply of Pooche's hair in the contents.

It looks like I've found a fantastic bio degradeable worm nursery material .

I'm off for a hair cut at the ladies hair salon when Alison gets her youth & vitality restored next week .. I'm going to take a trash sack with me and ask if they wil fill it for a week or so and then I'll play at doing sprinkles & tinkles in an empty compost bin .... just to get a bucket of worms for the wormery to get it up & running.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/31/2012, 8:27 pm

Hi Plantoid
It sure sounds like you may have an unending supply of fodder for your compost/worms.
I have read where human hair will also keep certain critters away..... if THAT is an issue.

We are not quite so cool as you our climate is more like a cool refridgerator than a freezer cabinet set on low .
No I think these critters are going to be "house pets".... at least for now Razz

My hubby is just pulling in the driveway with them right now.....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/31/2012, 9:51 pm

Just had to put this in here after hearing about worm casting facials! You are getting a 'fountain of youth'!

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/6/prweb8591971.htm

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/31/2012, 10:17 pm

Just had to put this in here after hearing about worm casting facials!
Laughing I am just conjuring up a vision of Suzanne Sommers with worms and dirt all over her face.......
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down