Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HELP! I'm new! Toplef10HELP! I'm new! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HELP! I'm new! I22gcj10HELP! I'm new! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HELP! I'm new! Toplef10HELP! I'm new! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HELP! I'm new! I22gcj10HELP! I'm new! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

HELP! I'm new!

+6
sfg4uKim
ashort
staf74
camprn
littlesapphire
lturner
10 posters

Go down

HELP! I'm new! Empty HELP! I'm new!

Post  lturner 1/29/2012, 7:30 pm

Hello all! I am new (truly green!) to gardening, so SFG appeals to me! I have read the book and watched ALOT of youtube videos. I live in beautiful East TN (AKA God's country) and am curious what varieties grow well here. I plan on growing: corn, tomatoes, cukes (both for eating and pickling), squash, zucchini. I have ordered many seed magazines, but it it very overwhelming when you are new! Also, I have noticed some of the SFG are deeper than the original plans in the book. Is that for future growth of carrots, potatoes, etc? If so, before I build, would it be better to start out with taller boxes?I will appreciate any help! I am very enthusiastic about my garden! bounce bounce YAY!
lturner
lturner

Female Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

HELP! I'm new! Empty Re: HELP! I'm new!

Post  littlesapphire 1/29/2012, 7:36 pm

I don't live in your area and can't help you pick the right varieties, but I wanted to say WELCOME! You've come to the right place for help, and you picked the right gardening method for a newbie! I only did two (very bad) years of row gardening before I found the SFG method, but that was long enough for me to swear off row gardening forever. Good luck with your new garden!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/29/2012, 7:55 pm

Hi there and HELP! I'm new! 396615 to the SFG Forum!! and welcome to the world of gardening. it is going to be such a yummy adventure. I suggest you contact your local county Coop Extension Service for advice on what grows well in your region.
University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture <~~~click

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

HELP! I'm new! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 1/29/2012, 8:10 pm

HELP! I'm new! 654548 LTurner !!!!

Looks like you are in our region. Great to see another convert ... LOL ! Its a real simple process once you get a season under your belt. The learning curve is small if you stick to the book. Don't feel too overwhelmed, when you look at varieties in your catalogs, simply err towards those that are more heat and drought resistant to get through our hot summers. All those yummy summer veggies you mentioned do very well in the SFG and I have done all but corn to great effect. Not that corn does not work, I just have not tried it yet.

My beds are all 12 inches and exactly the reason for which you stated; longer root crops. Remember though that means more $$$ for mels mix, larger wood and extra compost to refill them each season. Perhaps just mix your construction between larger and smaller (6inch) beds to accomodate both. Remember, you basically get two beds for the cost of one 12 inch bed by going with what Mel recommends. That means more veggies Very Happy.

You've posted already in our region, so i'm guessing you've checked out the "sticky" topics at the top. That will help plan your year around the frost dates amongst other things. Pls let me know if I can help in any way. I have some videos posted there also to help you visualize a garden although many members here from everywhere have some awesome garden pics for you to peruse and TOTALLY steal their ideas.

No copyright here Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 1/29/2012, 8:50 pm

Welcome aboard!!! Grab a cup of coffee or tea, kick back and surf the forums a bit. Don't be afraid to ask question, we learn from every question that is asked!
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 1/30/2012, 7:47 am

Welcome lturner!

I like that you've read the book and watched videos about SFG. You're already WAY ahead.

Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

HELP! I'm new! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/30/2012, 8:50 am

Welcome aboard lTurner! This site is jam packed full of information based on Square Foot Gardening and our members and staff are some of the most knowledgeable around on the method, eager to help and answer any questions you may have! Very Happy

HELP! I'm new! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/30/2012, 9:41 am

Turner,
Welcome to the site.

re :- The extra deep root crops .
Going true , " All New Square Foot Gardening " ( ANSFG ) style you make bottomless 12x 12 frames which have 6 to 9 inch side walls and stand them on the 6 inch deep bed , then plant in the raised frame according to the planting suggestions .
Try this link for bit more info on them .
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/products/Top-Hat-box-for-Carrots%2CLeeks-%26-Potatoes.html

It's easier on the finances as you only need an extra cubic foot of Mels mix , whereas it has already been said .... you would have to pay for another seven cubic feet of Mel's Mix ( MM) to fill a deeper 12 inch bed.

Once your up and running with ANSFG it's easy enough to increase the depth of the bed by adding a top frame as & when you can afford it.
You may have by that time been able to build up your own home made large stock of the five way compost .
So you should be able to use that & just vermiculite as a mixed in ( with the original bed fill of MM ) bed filler rather than having to make up a virgin bed mix again .Which would be cheaper still and just as effective.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  lturner 2/3/2012, 4:40 pm

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I will post some pics this spring and summer as I begin my SFG journey!
lturner
lturner

Female Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 2/4/2012, 2:51 am

I don't know a thing about corn, but I have grown toms, peppers, onions, beans,collards, kale,and a bunch of other vegies in a TT SFG that is only 6" deep with great success. My I say HELP! I'm new! 396615
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/4/2012, 9:53 am

shannon1 wrote:I don't know a thing about corn, but I have grown toms, peppers, onions, beans,collards, kale,and a bunch of other vegies in a TT SFG that is only 6" deep with great success. My I say HELP! I'm new! 396615

Add squash, chard, mustard greens, turnip greens and snap peas to that list. Squash can trellis or hang over the side.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content