Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter Toplef10Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter I22gcj10Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter Toplef10Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter I22gcj10Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter

4 posters

Go down

Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter Empty Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter

Post  rod champion 1/25/2012, 9:09 am

Carolyn,

Would you mind explaining the trash can composter you speak of? How you do it...

Your garden is beautiful.

Thanks you,

Rod Champion
rod champion

Male Posts : 125

http://www.southholstonriverflyshop.com

Back to top Go down

Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter Empty Re: Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 1/25/2012, 11:35 am

I've seen videos about it and am hoping those on the forum who do it will respond. In the meantime I have some questions too... Smile

1) Every time I've seen videos of making trash can composters, they have used "new" trash cans. Is it safe to repurpose old worn out dark plastic garbage cans with some holes already in them? They did contain actual garbage, do they need to be cleaned with a bleach solution? I also have some smaller "new" cans I could use if the other ones just truly need to be junked.

2) I already have bagged leaves, grass, spent plants, guinea pig bedding and a bag of black kow as well as the typical kitchen peelings, coffee grounds, etc. A couple of years ago we got bales of hay/straw? to put in front of our doghouses which my husband the following spring just spread out in that corner of the yard. Can I use this as well? Even if...errr...the dogs may have...ahem...added liquid nitrogen content to them? Embarassed
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter Empty Re: Carolyn Phillips - Trash Can Composter

Post  Patty from Yorktown 1/25/2012, 11:57 am

Hi,
I have not had a lot of luck with the trash can composter. I think it is operator error. (Not wet enough) An old trash can should be just fine, might want to hit it with the hose. The old, high nitrogen straw should work very well. The only waste products you need to worry about are the solids. Please report back on how the project worked.

Patty in Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/28/2012, 7:40 pm

Sorry. I been obsessing about tomatoes over there where people obsess over tomatoes.

I don't see anything wrong with a used trash can as long as you scrub it with some bleach and rinse it well.
Need to drill many holes around the trash can so it can get air inside. One of the good things about the trash can is that it has a lid so when it rains, the nutrients won't wash away. It is a good idea to cover any and all compost piles rather it be in a trash can or on the ground. Rain washes much of the nutrients and nitrogen out into the ground below.

This is how the trash can is working for me===I chop everything to shreds. I use a shredder mulcher but my grandfather always used a lawnmower. You can also use your kitchen processor to chop up peelings and chop stalks to a fine ---cole slaw---texture before you put it in the composter. The smaller it is the faster and better it will break down.
The moisture has to be just right. Not soggy and not dry. Somewhere in between.
You need a thermometer so you can check on the temp. If it's not heating up enough to compost, (at least 130 but takes a while to compost, 160 is excellent) you can add a few cups of Cotton Seed Meal which is an organic nitrogen sold at most feed, seed, garden, or farm stores. The compost should heat up with high temps for several days, (a week is good) then it will gradually cool down as everything has composted.

The compost in my garden is not from the Trash Can Composter. It was from a regular compost tumbler and commercial compost and some cotton seed meal and bone meal and fish emulsion and ..........etc..........
I just started the trash can composter. Mine has a new batch with this rabbit manure, chicken manure, goat manure, shredded leaves, and shredded garden debris such as cauli, brocco and cabbage leaves and stalks, with some additives to speed things up. All in the name of Giant Tomatoes. Very Happy Along with some mycorrhiza fungi.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/28/2012, 7:42 pm

I would never use dog or cat manure. It's a mental thing.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/28/2012, 7:52 pm

oh= don't put peat moss in the compost pile. It sucks up your moisture. I guess you could but keeping the right moisture would be tougher to manage.

and composting during the winter is slow going....it's cold and rainy and snowy so don't expect high heat right now.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/28/2012, 7:57 pm

sorry= had company show up twice, had to take a break twice.

during the winter months, i would take the compost out of one trash can comoster and transfer it to another trash can Once a week. This helps to mix it. As temps get warm towards spring, transfer it more frequently. During the summer transfer and mix several times a week.
If it is some what light weight materials, you can just pick up the trash can and shake pour into the other trash can.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/28/2012, 8:03 pm

my house is like grand central station tonight.

where was I?
You always need one empty compost trash can. You can 10 trash cans composting but you only need one empty. Transfer one trash can compost into the empty one. now that one is empty and you can use it. etc.......so on and so on.

I have seen a few people bind the trash can lid down with straps and roll it on the ground but I don't see how that will work ---but then again, I haven't tried it.

I personally don't like cardboard or newspaper in my compost. I just don't like it!
personal preference

looking for a link for trash can composters.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/28/2012, 8:15 pm

http://www.pallensmith.com/index.php?id=16631

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/gardening/ht/Garbage_Can_Compost_Bin.htm

http://organicgardening.about.com/od/compost/a/cancomposter.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZyox5yLiMU
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum