Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's Up for April in 6a? Toplef10What's Up for April in 6a? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's Up for April in 6a? I22gcj10What's Up for April in 6a? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's Up for April in 6a? Toplef10What's Up for April in 6a? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's Up for April in 6a? I22gcj10What's Up for April in 6a? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's Up for April in 6a?

4 posters

Go down

What's Up for April in 6a? Empty What's Up for April in 6a?

Post  mckr3441 4/1/2010, 3:14 pm

Since I'm a 5b SFGer I guess I'm not allowed to post here What's Up for April in 6a? Lol . However, I want to get this topic started for you and I hope you will all chime in and be specific. Such as, planted peas; last year's lettuce make a comeback; peas froze!! Temp irradic. Mine would looks something like this:

"Bought wood for new box today. Turned compost. Cleaned old growth out of last year's pots and replenished soil with a handful of Mel's Mix. Tossed old growth into compost bin to start new pile."

You get the idea. Let's help the local newcomers know where we are with our gardens.

Have fun. Post updates regularly. Thanks. What's Up for April in 6a? Icon_sunny What's Up for April in 6a? Icon_sunny What's Up for April in 6a? Icon_sunny
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

What's Up for April in 6a? Empty Re: What's Up for April in 6a?

Post  nancy 4/1/2010, 4:13 pm

Hi Claire!

It's been absolutely glorious the past few days. Cloudless blue skies and every day it gets a bit warmer - probably near 80* today.

I'll be going down to the garden after work today to water and inspect. Yesterday I added some new spinach seeds as I haven't seen any germination yet. I only added a few - the others may still come up. The lettuces and broccoli are such a pretty color of green! And I used Lily's Hot Green yarn for my grids, so it's all lovely. The peas are beginning to peak out, and so are a few onions. This is all so new to me (I've only ever grown tomatoes before and that was years ago!) and it brings such joy. I almost wish I could take a chair down there and just sit & watch. What's Up for April in 6a? Icon_cool

I'm toying with the idea of adding a new box that would just be milkweed. In my backyard I have a monarch garden and I want one at the community garden, too!

Happy Thursday!
n.
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 4/2/2010, 6:36 pm

I set up my boxes last week and planted transplanted broccoli, spinach and romaine. I planted sets of onions and garlic, I also planted seeds of other onions, peas, lettuce, and spinach. I also planted asparagus not in my SFG. Nothing other than the transplants are showing yet. I hope everything is ok! I started setting up my strawberry bed, but it needs alot of work before I can plant in it. I also the following growing as starts: Better Boy Tomatoes, Summer Salsa Tomatoes (not doing well), jalapeno peppers, broccoli, cilantro, basil, rosemary, artichoke (has not yet germinated), lavender (not yet germinated), marigolds, sweet williams, zucchini, cucumber, watermelon, parsley, chives, oregano, and I forget what else. I went crazy the other day and bought hibiscus plants, a potted orange tree, a potted lemon tree, a potted lime tree, a potted blueberry bush, and some other random stuff. I think I have gone completely mad!
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 4/3/2010, 8:16 pm

Hi Ladies! What's Up for April in 6a? 61949

Thanks for your posts! I'm just behind you and will be getting some seedlings in next week, I hope. Weather in NE Ohio has been unbelievably summer-like w/o the humidity! But I almost think it is an April fools trick.

I have broccoli to put in and onion sets, scallion seeds. I think I'll use some gallon milk bottles to keep them warm for awhile after I set them out.

Nancy, I love sitting by my SFG boxes! And I used to raise monarch butterflies. I have been so tempted to plant milkweed. Maybe I will sometime.

Lisa, you certainly did go on a shopping spree! Better a spree at the garden shop than at Saks!

I better get out of your 5a Forum What's Up for April in 6a? Lol but I will be visiting frequently to see what I have to look forward to.

What's Up for April in 6a? Icon_flower What's Up for April in 6a? Icon_flower
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 4/4/2010, 6:54 am

Yeah, I went to michiganbulb.com the other day and they had a Spend $40 and get $20 off sale, plus all the citrus trees were on sale for $5. I figured if they didn't work out, all well, I pretty much got them for free.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/27/2010, 1:33 pm

We have a frost warning tonite! I'm only a little surprised. I still want to wait to plant tomatoes. Where in sw Ohio do you get heirloom tomato seedlings? I don't have any more room for seeds in the house! What's Up for April in 6a? Icon_smile

I just began reading Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Mineral". I'm on page 12 and I'm hooked! Has anyone else read it?
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 4/27/2010, 1:46 pm

I read "Animal Vegetable Mineral" last year.... LOVED it! Highly recommended (in fact I think I'll borrow it from the library again).

I'm not in Ohio, but in the same zone as many of you... I'm holding back on my tomatoes too ... I bought four varieties - Mr Stripey, Bradley, Mountain Pride and one other I can't remember right now - and I have seedlings I started of San Marzano plum tomatoes. I'm SOOOOO anxious to get them out in the garden, but I don't want to take the chance yet!

Good luck to all with the chill tonight. I had temps around 30-32 last night, but I only have cold crops in and they were fine without cover.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/29/2010, 8:42 pm

My basil didn't survive the past 2 nights!! What's Up for April in 6a? Icon_sad I think after Tuesday it would have been salvageable, but after last night, it is now all black & shriveled up. I feel so guilty!!

To make me feel better, here at home 2 of the 3 clematis are blooming! Oh, hurray. The rest of the vegetables down at the garden look fine and all of the flowers here do, too. I only lost the 2 basils. Not too bad, I guess.
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

What's Up for April in 6a? Empty Native Plant Sale

Post  nancy 4/30/2010, 3:08 pm

Glenwood Gardens (In Cincinnati) is having their annual Ohio Native Plant Sale this weekend. I'm heading there right after work today. With a little luck I'll find some good plants for the box I have reserved for the monarchs. I'm failing miserably at starting seeds. Also hoping to find some Jack-in-the-Pulpit for my front yard. And maybe some trillium. I don't believe they have vegetables, but they have lots of native flowers.
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum