Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Neighbors helping each other Toplef10Neighbors helping each other 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Neighbors helping each other I22gcj10Neighbors helping each other 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Neighbors helping each other Toplef10Neighbors helping each other 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Neighbors helping each other I22gcj10Neighbors helping each other 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Neighbors helping each other

4 posters

Go down

Neighbors helping each other Empty Neighbors helping each other

Post  LittleGardener 1/13/2012, 2:46 pm

Hi,
from the topic re Mel's recent presentation: "a new program with the St. Vincent de Paul Village, on feeding the homeless - but from their own gardens. This is a trial-operation, an excellent example of teaching a man to fish, rather than giving a man a fish. Your support & involvement would be greatly appreciated" -

Okay, decades ago I got the idea to help some troubled teenagers, by getting permission to use a small very neglected plot, & starting a Pea-patch on it, and teaching these young people how to grow their own food & flowers, the pleasure of it all. - We did that in N.Seattle, and those who got involved, did have fun Smile
so -
Currently, there is enough space available on our own different property for like 20 people to also grow some food and let them enjoy the fruits of their labors.
When I read the above re what Mel is starting, I am wondering how many people here, have done something similar? of Neighbors helping each other, and what might be involved if you did that on your own property. - Would any sort of City-rules be involved? - Feel free sharing your experience & ideas... Neighbors helping each other 61949

This whole concept of people helping each other is very soul satisfying. Hopefully others will also agree, and share in this discussion.
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Neighbors helping each other Empty Re: Neighbors helping each other

Post  NorthWoodsFever 1/13/2012, 3:22 pm

There all all kinds of community garden plots going in all around the Detroit area (I'm about 30 miles from there) ...bringing troubled teens together and families...it's really neat to see it when they air the segment on the news!

They are taking abandoned and neglected lots and turning them into gardens. Cool
NorthWoodsFever
NorthWoodsFever

Female Posts : 64

http://lavenderhen.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/13/2012, 9:27 pm

NorthWoodsFever wrote:
all kinds of community garden plots going in all around the Detroit area (I'm about 30 miles from there) ...bringing troubled teens together and families...
They are taking abandoned and neglected lots and turning them into gardens. Cool
Yes I know that, re 'really abandoned' plots that no one's cared aboutfor
years.
What I'm talking about tho (provided they aren't out-of-control: alcoholics, other drug-users, & criminals), is actually sharing our own property with the homeless...

For instance, the church (I just left over this very issue), has 2 HUGE buildings.
Yes, they're a church, & not a housing project; but increasing numbers of the congregation, find themselves homeless, & hungry. - So for starters I thought ALL OF US can bring foods to the church, & feed these people once daily. -
Um,
(the Pastor otoh told congregation: "after 25 yrs. of looking at this PINK-carpet, I'm sick of that color. God wants every family to Donate $100 each month thrice, so in January we can replace the carpet." - that was in Oct. Obviously he's totally out-of-touch with the reality of millions of Americans. - That, & related insane reasons, made us leave that church.

For a couple years I've had this idea I started this thread for: offering a part of property to share with others even less fortunate, kinda what God calls a Good Samaritan. Again, anyone here have experience doing this?
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 1/13/2012, 9:58 pm

I have not done this either, but that never stopped me from speaking like an authority. LOL bounce

First - focus.
What exactly do you want to do and who is your target audience - wandering homeless? the working poor? members of your previous congregation? All of the above and more?

Where will you find them - around? through local shelters? through other assistance groups?

What are your resources? As you know this ain't cheap to do for starters. Who else can you enlist for donations? Local Rotary or equivalent? Local grants?

Will you need a manager besides yourself? Who?

Is this convenient to your target audience? Can they use public transportation, walk or do they need to use a car?

Are there property use restrictions that might stop you. If so, can you have these amended or get the city to buy in some way.

What about safety issues. Will your neighbors be OK with it? Can you get them to sign off on that?

Would you be better off building table tops at the local shelter rather than building on your property.

Those are the first things that come to mind. Mel went right to the mayor and started haggling it sounds like. Maybe you should start at the top, or maybe you can quietly do it with community help and then say, look, this works.

Let us know what you decide. But now is the perfect time - growing season is right around the corner.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/13/2012, 10:09 pm

I have not done this, but the times being what they are, it may be worth while to connect with a group that has already formed in your area. Are you in an urban area? I would
like to know what you find out and how your project moves forward.
http://www.urbanfarming.org/

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Neighbors helping each other WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/13/2012, 10:22 pm

camprn wrote:I have not done this,
but i know there are folks in your area that are doing similar things.
Hi camprn,
I checked out your 3 references, & in my area?? - over 90% of "Urban farms" are concentrated in L.A., Detroit, & Minneapolis. - Only one such garden is listed for Wa.state, in Seattle.
For decades also aware of "Intentional communities", but again they tend to grow for themselves, & not necessarily sharing with others at large.
camprn wrote:
And by the way, it's a brilliant idea you've had. I would like to know what you find out and how your project moves forward.
When the snow quits, I'll drive to Seattle to see what they are doing with that project, & let
you know.
Funny: here working on regaining my own health, so most would be even more self-oriented. - Yet again, you can also say God granted each of us this & that Blessing: how can they be multiplied... I truly believe we are brothers & sisters, here to enrich each other's life... more abundantly. Thanks for your encouragements Smile too
Anyone else have such experience? to share Neighbors helping each other 61949
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/13/2012, 10:29 pm

Sorry little gardener, I mistook you location, and have edited my original poet to only have the urban gardening website. Good luck, I know there are groups out there!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Neighbors helping each other WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 1/13/2012, 11:48 pm

Chopper wrote:
I have not done this either,
but that never stopped me from speaking like an authority. LOL bounce

Mel went right to the mayor and started haggling it sounds like. Maybe
you should start at the top, or
maybe you can quietly do it with community help and then say, look, this works.
re Gardening: just own & family experience (not SFG yet), & that P-patch project I felt inspired to start, & oversee to fruition.
Did the same with various Community projects, from a win-win attitude, drawing other positive & constructive people together, & we overcame repeated 'no's, until we got what is good Wink ...

Who knows what Mel had to work with. a glimpse of the local gov't. mentality here: the county had a thriving Very Happy Recreation-center going; but 2 twits, on the county council, were Golf-fans, so they bought (countless acres of abandoned land, that easily coulda fed multiple 1000's of people), & diverted Maintenance funds from the thriving Recreation-center for 30 yrs., and instead developed that 2nd. HUGE piece of land into a Golf-course Shocked , that in order for it to continue existing, they had to raise Sewer-rates, as it costs the county 1/2-million dollars a year to subsidize its maintenance, & the fees are so high they have to beg people to play there. - Um, & that is just ONE of about 2-dozen such idiocies we are governed by. So haggling with any mayor, & county people around here, has proven to be non-starters. You could make more progress talking with apes, than them. That harsh reality does not seem to be getting any better, by what is passing for "laws" around here.

ps: the county-people were actually born & raised on RURAL FARM-land, so one would think they would Value what we do, but that is not the case. Sigh.

So more Grass-roots successes is prolly gonna get it done, & why I asked for related experiences in my O.P.

I'll address the other points Chopper in your considerate post a bit later. And thank you! Smile
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down