Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... Toplef10? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... I22gcj10? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... Toplef10? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... I22gcj10? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant...

+4
Rhianna78
camprn
UnderTheBlackWalnut
Windsor.Parker
8 posters

Go down

? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... Empty ? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant...

Post  Windsor.Parker 1/11/2012, 10:55 pm

We NEVER thought of eating these...
? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... Img_0025
There were several of 'em last summer. We tried to pull all of 'em before they seeded our bed. They grew thick, hefty stalks but were really top-heavy. What if they show up again?
? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... 109486
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... Empty Re: ? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant...

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 1/11/2012, 11:29 pm

Hmm...the picture is hard to see and I'm not very good at plant identification yet. So, I can't help you with what it is or if it's desirable. Smile One thing, though, that I did find with SFG was that if you are diligent about planting your squares by the book in a pattern, it's fairly easy to tell what is desired and what is not. I'm a total newbie so I don't recognize things in their sprout stage. Sometimes I let something grow a few inches to see if it looks like all my other plants (especially if it was really windy when I was seeding...lol). But with MM it's pretty easy to yank out what doesn't belong, even if you let it get a little larger.

So my answer to your question is....you now know what the leaves and plant look like. If you see it growing, don't want it, and it gets to a state where you can identify it (hopefully before seed pods form)...

Yank it! Just yank it!

kids were playing some kind of Michael Jackson Just Dance game the other day... Embarassed
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... Empty Re: ? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant...

Post  camprn 1/12/2012, 6:41 am

I think you posted this photo as a thumbnail so I cannot make it bigger for closer inspection. Did it have blue flowers and did the bees love it? It looks to me like it may be borage. Very Happy
http://ooooby.ning.com/profiles/blogs/borage-1
? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... BeeBorage

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhianna78 1/12/2012, 8:33 am

Looks to be Borage to me. Perfectly edible, highly useful for both pest control and homeopathic reasons. Known to the ancients through to the modern era herbalist in Europe. I will say that a lot of plants I've grown and used for homeopathic reasons aren't popular in the US but that seems to be a cultural thing of trusting a pill rather than a plant.

You can look up "A Modern Herbal", "CU Herb Society", & "Flower Society (.org)". Sorry, still within my first week so I can't post links directly to them.

You can jelly the flowers, you can stirfry the young leaves (or wilt like spinach). I wouldn't use the older ones as they get much stronger with age. Don't attempt to dry it for later use, it is NOT recommended.

You can apply it as a skin conditioner/cleanser as well. I've heard of its use for high blood pressure & countering depression but I can't vouch for any such use so take those with a big grain of salt.
Rhianna78
Rhianna78

Female Posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/12/2012, 9:43 am

supposed to be a good companion plant for tomatos. repeals hornworms

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 1/12/2012, 9:53 am

walshevak wrote:supposed to be a good companion plant for tomatos. repeals hornworms

Kay

REALLY??? Me and the hornworms got into an epic battle last summer - it grossed my wife and daughter out when I would grab them off the plants with tongs and squeeze them until..... well, you know.....
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 1/12/2012, 9:56 am

thanks Camp, Rhianna and Walshevak - I have seen references to borage and knew it had blue flowers, but that's about it.
Ashort - I read that just last night on this site about companion plants which has been passed around on the forum quite a bit: http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html#ALFALFA:
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhianna78 1/12/2012, 2:40 pm

ashort wrote:
walshevak wrote:supposed to be a good companion plant for tomatos. repeals hornworms

Kay

REALLY??? Me and the hornworms got into an epic battle last summer - it grossed my wife and daughter out when I would grab them off the plants with tongs and squeeze them until..... well, you know.....

Gotta say it did nothing against my horn worms. Of course they chose to go after my potatoes & not my tomatoes - which had peppers with them - so perhaps I just had some weak borage or some tasty potatoes.
Rhianna78
Rhianna78

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 2/20/2012, 5:48 pm

I believe it is borage, as mentioned above. You can brew the leaves into a tea. The flowers are delicious. They taste like cucumbers and can be added to salads. Or frozen into individual ice cubes to add pretty and interest to a beverage.
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/20/2012, 9:23 pm

I know I'm like a broken record when it comes to compost but here goes: borage is great for the compost heap, thick stems promotes air circulation in the heap and it is a great source of nitrogen therefore helps to heat things up. Easier to gather up compared to raking up a bunch of lawn clippings.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 2/22/2012, 7:43 pm

llama momma wrote:I know I'm like a broken record when it comes to compost but here goes: borage is great for the compost heap, thick stems promotes air circulation in the heap and it is a great source of nitrogen therefore helps to heat things up. Easier to gather up compared to raking up a bunch of lawn clippings.
I'll remember about the borage llama momma! Is it perennial?
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/22/2012, 8:04 pm

Windsor.P
The book I'm looking at does not say if it is a annual or not. But it does go on to say this -- young borage plants will stand through several frosts. If you grow borage often, expect to see volunteer seedlings, gently lift them to avoid injuring the taproots and quickly transplant to where you want borage to grow. So Windsor, to me it sounds like it is an annual but can reseed itself too.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhianna78 2/22/2012, 9:18 pm

Llama momma is correct. It is a WILDLY self seeding annual. Laughing
Rhianna78
Rhianna78

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 2/23/2012, 1:07 am

? Unapetizing Podding, Flowering, Fuzzy Plant... 109486 ladies!
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/23/2012, 6:40 am

You're Welcome!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum