Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 Toplef10Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 I22gcj10Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 Toplef10Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 I22gcj10Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Potato Growing Methods

+56
No_Such_Reality
larry
yolos
smalltownfan
ericam
efirvin
kbb964
Nonna.PapaVino
philct
WolfHeart
Hoggar
AvaDGardner
CarolinaGirl
tnmom66
Pink-Gardener
lisaphoto
martha
boffer
moswell
Turan
Too Tall Tomatoes
curio
fjayco2l
Furbalsmom
Roseinarosecity
HieronRemade
MCard
arla
obrdrln
littlejo
EatYourVeggies
plantoid
Chopper
quiltbea
GWN
Lavender Debs
fiddleman
camprn
januaryX
Ha-v-v
ashort
LittleGardener
Goosegirl
tomperrin
1airdoc
CarolynPhillips
FamilyGardening
NorthWoodsFever
Glendale-gardener
HillbillyBob
littlesapphire
staf74
BackyardBirdGardner
walshevak
RoOsTeR
llama momma
60 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 Empty Re: Potato Growing Methods

Post  NorthWoodsFever 1/13/2012, 9:15 pm

I've got a 2ft x 12ft section set aside for my potatos this year. Last year I did one "per square foot", I may try the 4 per square and see what happens this year.
NorthWoodsFever
NorthWoodsFever

Female Posts : 64

http://lavenderhen.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/13/2012, 9:19 pm

januaryX wrote:Gosh I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I was just trying to see if SFG would be feasible for growing the amount of potatoes I need to feed my family. I think I'll stick with rows for growing potatoes, and maybe try SFG for something else.
Actually, other folks I know have come to a similar conclusion. SFG works great for growing a lot of food in not a lot of space. At least it has for me. I think I am going to try potatoes and sweet potatoes in dedicated SFG boxes this summer.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/13/2012, 9:31 pm

And it's no inconvenience at all. It is best to explore your options. Glad we could help.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/22/2012, 9:10 am

Let's Recap and Streamline:

If you want to share your experience -- In the end please tell:

-the growing method used
-potato variety
-how many were planted
-how many taters did you get
-Mel's Mix used or not

Personal Note: I did not put this together as a competition to see what method is best. Many of us are new to growing taters so I want to emphasize the many methods used and make aware some of the many varieties to choose from, and get people thinking about growing the mighty little tater. OF course while we’re at it, we might as well count how many we get… it is interesting to know but let’s not get caught up in final numbers. Why? Because of variables this cannot satisfy as a scientific study. Not meant to be. So Plant away and enjoy! LlamaMomma
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 1/22/2012, 9:58 am

Goosegirl wrote:After reading through the entire thread (finally!) I am going to put my 2 half barrels to use with taters. I think I will do a blue or purple in one barrel and my fave Yukon Gold's in another. Not sure it fits anywhere with the 'testing' but you have all given me a great idea!

GG

When you say half barrels how do you cut them? I have a steep sloop at the edge of the yard. I had hoped to terrace it for blueberries and herbs BUT the house next door is too close to mess with the soil SO we have decided to cut food grade drums (they smell like apples) in half lengthwise (the long way). We will set them on the hill supported by stakes to prevent them from rolling on down. The plan is to fill them with 6 inches or so of MM, set the eyes on that and add a couple more inches of MM. Straw and grass clippings will cover the sprouts as they grow.

I did not measure but got a surprising harvest of yellow, red and two different fingerling potatoes from tubs using the same MM-clippings and straw method. This year I have a scale that does measure more than a pound.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/22/2012, 11:15 am

I have done the half barrel thing, planting some at the bottom and continually adding more dirt and then more potato halves, then as the grow up, add more dirt etc etc etc
I did really well, I did not add up the amount of potatoes.
One method I have seen and wanted to try for a small lot
was to build a 3x3 box with 2x4s and to screw them in that way you can keep adding dirt at the top and unscrew the 2x4s at the bottom, taking potatoes from the bottom

So in essence stealing from the bottom, while you add to the top.
they said you could get a hundred lbs of potatoes in a 3x3 foot space ??
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 1/22/2012, 11:55 am

GWN wrote:I have done the half barrel thing, planting some at the bottom and continually adding more dirt and then more potato halves, then as the grow up, add more dirt etc etc etc...snip...

But how did you cut the barrel?

I've done this in a tub style

Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 May_1410

But I want to try this in a side cut barrel, but maybe this isn't all that odd (I only have this in paint but I got the idea from Angel Farm Acers).

Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 Nov_2211

The barrels are sitting on the side of the house (the same kind of barrels Ray made into a rain collection system) I have a lot of 2x2's cut for uprights from an old deck for the steaks. Angel farms made a cradle for the barrels. She has them on the edge of her French Intensive Garden. They look pretty there.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/22/2012, 12:09 pm

GWN.....I never heard of "adding more dirt and then MORE potato halves." I've grown them before but its only the soil that I've filled in above them, not more seed taters. Can you elaborate?
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/22/2012, 2:23 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:After reading through the entire thread (finally!) I am going to put my 2 half barrels to use with taters. I think I will do a blue or purple in one barrel and my fave Yukon Gold's in another. Not sure it fits anywhere with the 'testing' but you have all given me a great idea!

GG

When you say half barrels how do you cut them?

I did not cut them, I bought them that way. They are wine barrels cut in half across the middle so they look like 2 big wooden buckets.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/22/2012, 5:19 pm

GWN.....I never heard of "adding more dirt and then MORE potato halves." I've grown them before but its only the soil that I've filled in above them, not more seed taters. Can you elaborate?
Well it is a method to increase your yields. You start growing potatoes in the bottom of the barrel and then as they start to grow you add more dirt and plant more potatoes.
IT is an elaborate way of "hilling" in that you plant more potatoes at each level, so when you finally get to the top you have many potato plants, close together
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 1/22/2012, 5:57 pm

GWN wrote:
Well it is a method to increase your yields. You start growing potatoes in the bottom of the barrel and then as they start to grow you add more dirt and plant more potatoes.
IT is an elaborate way of "hilling" in that you plant more potatoes at each level, so when you finally get to the top you have many potato plants, close together

Wow. I have never heard of that either. Very interesting...
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/22/2012, 7:40 pm

If you half or quarter the potato make sure you have an eye on each part .

Dabbing the cut faces in lime also helps stop slug and eel worm attack ( eel worm is a UK / European nematode )
Aditional plantings in a growing barrel as the growth medium depth is increased as the plants grow is quite common in the gardening circles that I play in..

plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/22/2012, 8:14 pm

my father in law..... (he was irish) said you needed at least 3 eyes in each piece you planted... Razz
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 1/22/2012, 8:36 pm

Did you know..... you can use GWN's layers (all planted at the same time) to do the same thing with bulbs....It looks Awesome and lasts longer than just daffodils or tulips. Mix up layers. Hadn't thought of doing it with potatoes though.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/23/2012, 1:46 am

This is a decent video I found of Mel growing Potatoes in a bucket.

EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/23/2012, 10:51 am

http://www.ehow.com/how_7369228_to_-build_as_you_grow-potato-bins.html

This is the closest reference to the planking one, no photos, but with this you build up the potato grower and then remove the plank at the bottom to harvest the potatoes

Here is another link with pictures
http://tipnut.com/grow-potatoes/
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 1/23/2012, 4:04 pm

I'm going to try to get the potato tower built, maybe utilizing some palets that I have. Haven't decided on variety of potato yet, but here is a note on a favorite, Yucon Gold, they don't do well in a tower for they are short season potatoes.

**NOTE - EDIT** Greg from Irish-Eyes Garden City Seeds let me know that Yukon Golds, and all early varieties set fruit once and do not do well in towers. You only get potatoes in the bottom 6 inches, which is what I got. Late season alternatives to yukon gold are Yellow Fin and Binjte.

Here is a link to the page with the potato tower.

http://sinfonians-garden.blogspot.com/p/2-build-as-you-grow-potato-bins.html
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/23/2012, 7:45 pm

GWN,
If you knock the supports into the ground and temporary brace the top from the inside so it stays the correct distances apart , then use simple unscrewed /unfixed boards for the bottom two lifts and hold them in place with ratchet tie down straps or rubber bungeees that way when you come to harvest you simply undo the straps or bungees and remove the timbers & can take any potatoes out , but I suspect it's not quite as easy doing it as it is supposed to be

I had thought of using a plastic trash can with the bottom removed and inverting it so that the contents esily slide out of the inverted cone shape. but you would stil have the likelyhood of unharvested potatoes in the middle of the column of the growth medium as the unsupported bits fell down .

Yesterday I selected my five seed potatoes and put them to chit in an expanded polyestyerene egg box on a north facing window cill in the spare bedroom
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/23/2012, 7:57 pm

Isn't it a little bit early? OR how long do you leave them there?
I have potatoes on order, but I do not think that they will come until March Or April
I had a bag of potatoes that all had sprouts on them last week, I just hated to just peel them and compost the peels, but....
what zone are you in?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/23/2012, 8:27 pm

I'm in the UK in South Wales it is a temperate climate with 46 inches or so or rain each year.
Last frost date for me supposed to be is around 7 th May but we do get a late May frost every few years . Some years the frost has stopped by the middle of March . So we tend to chance a few early crops of things .
Easter is a traditional spud planting time but it varies so much as it is a moveable religious calender event .

My spuds will be grown in my unheated glasshouse house in poly bags .
When the concrete floor was cast I got the guys to mix in three cans of jet black concrete dye in the hope that the black floor will absorb heat from the day and give some of it back at night , it appears to work .

At the end of Feb I will also chit up some more spuds for growing in bags out side .

You could try digging a hole in the compost heap next time you have sprouted spuds in the cupboard and plant them in the hole about a foot down .
Then if they do grow you have a bonus of new potatoes when you start to use the heap unless you turn your heap every 2 to 3 weeks .
If the tops get fosted they can often recover unless it is a really prolonged frost of a couple of days
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/23/2012, 10:04 pm

what a great idea
I have compost piles all over the place.
I also have a tumbler.

So I COULD actually plant them in one of the
"other" compost piles.
I have been living in southern oregon for years and just planted all my potato peels all over the garden and then just went and dug them up when I wanted more.
Great thoughts Plantoid.
You clearly have experience.

thanks Janet
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 Empty Potato box

Post  littlejo 2/3/2012, 1:02 pm

I'm glad to say I got the BH to build a potato box, with sides that screw on, so I can rob the bottom for 'new' potatoes. Bin is 2x2. I'll plant 'Red Pontiac' in 2 sq, and 'Kenebec' in the other 2 sq.

Potato Growing Methods - Page 3 Pic_0217

Also, in the above posted video, Mel talks about planting in a bucket, and says to put compost in for potatoes to grow in, and add compost as potatoes grow. What's up with that? Any ideas?

Jo

Last edited by littlejo on 2/3/2012, 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add pic.)
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/3/2012, 1:41 pm

Also, in the above posted video, Mel talks about planting in a bucket, and says to put compost in for potatoes to grow in, and add compost as potatoes grow. What's up with that? Any ideas?

I am going to try just that in my greenhouse, it is being kept somewhat warm and I have some potatoes growing out of the cupboard here..
What a beautiful potato box, I think I might do the same......
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  obrdrln 2/3/2012, 2:08 pm

I'm new at this SFG thing but am committed to giving it the good ole college try.

I read in another book a unique way of growing potatoes---and I will try one plant like this...

Bore a hole straight through a Yukon Gold.

Gently thread the roots of a tomato plant through the hole until they come out the other end.

Plant the tomato/potato until the potato is about 2" below the top of the soil.

After the tomatoes have been harvested---pull up the plant to reveal your potatoes.

Sounded fascinating to me. Anyone ever done this? Did it really work????? A potato box surely would be in order for this....I'm thinking a deep, square plastic planter in the front yard!!

Judy
obrdrln
obrdrln

Female Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  arla 2/5/2012, 12:32 am

littlejo wrote:Also, in the above posted video, Mel talks about planting in a bucket, and says to put compost in for potatoes to grow in, and add compost as potatoes grow. What's up with that? Any ideas?

While I don't know about Mel, I do know that this is the way my parents grow potatoes, in bags with a compost growing medium, nothing else.

Seems to work quite well, going for that this year, my 4 year old loves pouring the potatoes out of the grow bag and searching through the compost for those lovely potatoes.

Probably going to do that plus soil this year.
arla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next