Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potato Growing Methods - Page 9 Toplef10Potato Growing Methods - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potato Growing Methods - Page 9 I22gcj10Potato Growing Methods - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potato Growing Methods - Page 9 Toplef10Potato Growing Methods - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potato Growing Methods - Page 9 I22gcj10Potato Growing Methods - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Potato Growing Methods

+56
No_Such_Reality
larry
yolos
smalltownfan
ericam
efirvin
kbb964
Nonna.PapaVino
philct
WolfHeart
Hoggar
AvaDGardner
CarolinaGirl
tnmom66
Pink-Gardener
lisaphoto
martha
boffer
moswell
Turan
Too Tall Tomatoes
curio
fjayco2l
Furbalsmom
Roseinarosecity
HieronRemade
MCard
arla
obrdrln
littlejo
EatYourVeggies
plantoid
Chopper
quiltbea
GWN
Lavender Debs
fiddleman
camprn
januaryX
Ha-v-v
ashort
LittleGardener
Goosegirl
tomperrin
1airdoc
CarolynPhillips
FamilyGardening
NorthWoodsFever
Glendale-gardener
HillbillyBob
littlesapphire
staf74
BackyardBirdGardner
walshevak
RoOsTeR
llama momma
60 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Potato Growing Methods - Page 9 Empty Re: Potato Growing Methods

Post  cheyannarach Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:05 am

Thanks for the good info Turan, next year I plan on having enough taters to store until at least November, lol, for some reason with me potatoes just don't last long in the house:D
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:05 pm

cheyannarach wrote:Thanks for the good info Turan, next year I plan on having enough taters to store until at least November, lol, for some reason with me potatoes just don't last long in the house:D
+1!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:40 am

My plants have died back, and I've felt around and found a couple potatoes in my garbage cans! Yay! However, I read somewhere that I shouldn't harvest the whole crop while the soil is moist for fear of rot. Do any of you advise the same? It's been so wet here this summer and early fall, and my garbage cans just aren't getting a chance to dry out!
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Do you have a dry garage where you can spread out your harvest on newspapers and let them cure a bit before storage? My mom uses the tops of her washer and dryer to put produce on to either ripen further or to cure. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Do you have a dry garage where you can spread out your harvest on newspapers and let them cure a bit before storage? My mom uses the tops of her washer and dryer to put produce on to either ripen further or to cure. Nonna

Unfortunately, I don't. And I'm not sure the realtor would be thrilled with my putting them on the washer and dryer (or even on my porch) to cure since they're trying to show my house right now. Hmm...
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Another idea: how about using a plastic rectangular clothes basket (or baskets) lined with newspaper, and place a single layer on the paper, then cover with another several sheets of newspaper and another layer. The holes in the basket should give air circulation a chance. Put the basket(s) out in coolest, airiest room of the house after dinner. In morning, check to see if all is dry, or if you need to replace the newspapers. Shouldn't take but a couple of days for all the 'taters to dry. Now, where you put the baskets during the day when real estate folks are showing the house, that takes some thinking about...got any storage rooms they don't show? Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Another idea: how about using a plastic rectangular clothes basket (or baskets) lined with newspaper, and place a single layer on the paper, then cover with another several sheets of newspaper and another layer. The holes in the basket should give air circulation a chance. Put the basket(s) out in coolest, airiest room of the house after dinner. In morning, check to see if all is dry, or if you need to replace the newspapers. Shouldn't take but a couple of days for all the 'taters to dry. Now, where you put the baskets during the day when real estate folks are showing the house, that takes some thinking about...got any storage rooms they don't show? Nonna

Hmm, that seems do-able. There aren't any room they don't show, but if I put that in the basement along with one of those damp-rid thingies, it might do the trick. And the basement has all my storage now that they're showing the place, so it's not like it's pristine anyway. Thanks for the suggestion!
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:22 pm

You can even use the baskets to store the potatoes after they're cured: fresh newspaper on bottom, couple of layers of 'taters, each layer separated by a couple of sheets of paper, and the whole storage thing topped by enough newspapers and an old sheet or towels to keep out any light (which will turn them green over time). Easy to move, too, when you do change residence....if they've not all been eaten by then.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:08 pm

A burlap coffee bean sack, a nice one.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Potato Growing Methods - Page 9 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:19 am

We got some taters! My sweet grandson was so excited to dig around and find them! I told him I thought it might be time to harvest. He ran out and started looking all over the plant to find "something". I told him to start digging down in the barrel, and this is what he found!!

Potato Growing Methods - Page 9 Taters10

The one in the middle that looks like Mickey Mouse really grew like that! He thought that was pretty funny. He ate the "ears" off after we cooked them. What a great flavor they had Smile
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm not sure I committed to a potato growing method on this thread earlier in the year, but what I had decided on was the container grown, placed in the shade and a late season variety that was supposed to be good for a high tuber set. I chose German Butterballs, although some websites had them listed as mid-season. And my containers ended up in more sun than I realized. But they grew rapidly and were hilled up to a depth of eighteen inches. I harvested finally last week and found about five pounds of potatoes (I'm weighing them as I prepare them, so I'll have an official total after we've eaten them all) from my one pound that I planted, but they were all on the very bottom of the bucket. So the vertical method for me was a fail.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:57 am

camprn wrote:Does any one out there have good guidance for potato storage, or does anyone want to research the subject and share what you find out?

store in out the bag moist peat or composted coir in a box in a cool frost free environment . layer as 3 inch on the bottom a layre of spuds ., a sprinkling to lightly cover and repeat till you have them all covered.
I've often used a plastic garbage can and left the top open but over the can so it does not sweat .

Only store pristine spuds . empty it out after three months and check for decayed spuds.
Remove the spud and the peat adjacent to a bad spud then remake the tub back up.

I would like try to use 100 lirre bag of vermiculite next year instead of the peat as it is so light to play with and it can go to make more MM afterwards .

It gave good results over last winter when I stored a few thousand flower bulbs , corms & tubers .
If it works well with my spuds I'll also try it with all my other root crops for I rather have five or six lidded bins than open heavy duty carboard boxes .

I'll be reviewing my watering arrangements as well for all the MM bags grown this year in the glasshouse on auto watering produced amazing seven foot tops and very little potatoes that weighed in at just over 1 1/2 pounds.

The outside bags with MM in them outside fared much bettter , they produced far less tops . Anya gave six pound of spuds, Red rooster gave just over four pounds & King Edwards that were basically left to the rain showers and a few jugs of water gave four and a half pounds of top quality spuds.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:29 am

Well, here's our results. My then 3 year old grandson, planted potatoes in one "square". He got 10 potatoes of various sizes. We planted one square also, and got about 5 decent potatoes. 3 good sized ones, and 2 tiny. We planted an entire barrel of potatoes, adding MM as the plant grew. We got about 5 decent sized potatoes, and the rest were TINY TINY. Embarassed This is the second time we've tried the barrel method with the MM. The barrel took about 5 to 6 months to "finish". So strange to get as many out of one square as an entire barrel? Don't think we'll be doing that again. Has anyone done well with the barrel method?
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:24 am

I did the tower method and although I grew some beautiful fingerlings, I was very disappointed in the amount harvested. I did try a second late planting which did not fair too well. I will not be using this method next year.
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:20 pm

I used Mel's SFG Method.
I just went out today and there was a couple of potato plants growing, so I went ahead and pulled them up, I got another pound of red and white potatoes. That makes a total for the year of 37 lbs 13 oz.
Potato Growing Methods - Page 9 Potatoes-5
I added a new twist to Mel's method by planting in layers in the SFG. I planted white, and then red potatoes on top of that, and it worked.

Here is a link to the detail of how I grew 37 lbs 13 oz of white and red potatoes in a 3 X 6 layered SFG http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/t124-layering-potatos-in-a-sfg#320
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9