Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday Toplef10Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday I22gcj10Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday Toplef10Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday I22gcj10Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday

+3
littlejo
WardinWake
janezee
7 posters

Go down

Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday Empty Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday

Post  janezee 12/31/2011, 4:46 pm

I hope to see some of you there! PM me for a meet-up if you can make it, and maybe we could do lunch afterwards!

Winter Seed Sowing/Hardwood Cuttings
Saturday January 7, 2012, 10 AM to Noon (indoors)
Right after the holidays in the cold dark of winter, we get together with our treasure troves of seeds, and dirt and pots and labels, to winter-sow perennials, trees, shrubs. These pots of seeds then go outside for cold treatment which breaks the seeds' dormancy. You won't believe the great results! Come spring they germinate in profusion. For this event, potting soil is provided. Bring your pots, seeds, labels to share. This year we will propagate hardwood cuttings of various native and ornamental shrubs. You can also divide and repot houseplants at this event.

Directions and Details
The Green Elephant Plant Swap is hosted in North Redmond, WA, at the Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross; The site offers parking, covered areas, indoor facilities, kitchen, memorial garden, grass labyrinth and playground. It is five minutes from I-405 and I-520.

Directions and Maps to the Church of the Holy Cross.

Street address: 11526 - 162nd Ave NE Redmond, WA 98052

How it works: No sales, just exchanges and freebies, please.

Tailgating Encouraged. The format for the trade is like a tailgate party. Traders exchange expert gardening information as well as plant materials. In two hours all the deals are sealed. We have plenty of new parking.

Free Stuff. Many gardeners generously share plants from the abundance of their gardens. An excellent way to begin your garden. Also an excellent way to thin out that giant patch of shasta daisies, etc. There is always a pile of plants free for the sharing at the swap.

What if I have nothing to trade? Cookies and chocolate work like money at the Green Elepha
nt!
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday Empty Re: Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday

Post  WardinWake 12/31/2011, 6:34 pm

Howdy:

Now that sounds like my kind of fun.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday Empty Re: Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday

Post  littlejo 1/1/2012, 10:48 am

Sounds like loads of fun! Wish there was something like this on the East coast!

If I leave in the am, I should get there by Sat.

Jo in SC
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 1/1/2012, 4:57 pm

Things like this make me wish I was back on that side of the mountains. I wish I could go! But then I remember, I'd be living in an apartment and there's a three year wait for a pea patch... :o( (Maybe the wait is shorter at Marymoor?)
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 1/1/2012, 4:59 pm

Sounds like fun. Wish we had something like this in Houston
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 335

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 1/6/2012, 8:15 pm

Anyone showing up tomorrow? I'll be there with seeds and raspberry canes. PM me for a meet-up.

For all of you who wish you had one near you, you can!
Check around in your local Little Nickel, Pennysaver, or other local free newspaper, and look under garden clubs. Call and ask if they do one or more every year. If not, ask if you can help get them started on one. If that's not doable, ask your church or community center if you can have some space in the parking lot some Saturday morning in the spring, fall, or indoors in the winter, and start advertising in said papers, church bulletins, and on the local radio. Get your friends together and make it happen!
I became an events organizer years ago because there were things like this that I wanted to do, and no one was doing them. I always thought that someone else was in charge, but then I found out it's not hard to do it myself with a little help from my friends.

So can you! cheers
janezee
janezee

Back to top Go down

Green Elephant Plant Swap next Saturday Empty Swapperific!

Post  janezee 1/18/2012, 4:31 am

The Green Elephant Plant and Seed Swap and planting session was so much fun! I forgot to tell you about it.

I was late, because I missed the ferry and also got slightly lost in the wilds of Redmond. I thought the only thing in Redmond was Microsoft until I saw those fields and farms.

Someone was putting good compost in 3.5" pots in flats, getting them ready for us to use.

Several folks were taking cuttings of branches that people had brought to share. Then they were potting them up in those prepped flats. Each bunch of branches were labeled, so you knew what you were bringing home.

There was a large basket of white plastic labels for the pots, cut from old vinyl blinds. Lots of pencils, too.

Inside, there were tables covered with plastic tablecloths, good idea, since we had compost-filled flats in there, too. We wintersowed some seeds in the flats, but most of us had envelopes of seeds to trade, and empty envelopes to 'borrow' some seeds from our neighbors. I came home with almost as many seeds as I brought, (I wish more had gone) and cuttings of forsythia, hydrangea, leather-leaf viburnum, and some other things I don't remember. I brought raspberry cuttings. They went fast!
Most of the seeds I got and traded were flowers. Not too many had new veg seeds to trade yet. I did get a lot of fava and radish seeds, though. I was really excited about that. We traded garden war stories, and tricks and tips, too, and had coffee, tea, and oranges. We gave each other email addresses do we could arrange for swaps before the event.

Nothing fancy. So much FUN!

I can't wait to go back March 3 for the next one, which is the biggest one of the year. Over 100 folks show up to swap and gossip.
Jim, the Green Elephant himself, is the originator of the event that occurs 4 times annually. He's the pastor, so he's the boss! What a wonderful way to share gardening with others.

For all of you who wish you had one near you, you can!
Check around in your local Little Nickel, Pennysaver, or other local free newspaper, and look under garden clubs. Call and ask if they do one or more every year. If not, ask if you can help get them started on one. If that's not doable, ask your church or community center if you can have some space in the parking lot some Saturday morning in the spring, fall, or indoors in the winter, and start advertising in said papers, church bulletins, and on the local radio. Get your friends together and make it happen!
I became an events organizer years ago because there were things like this that I wanted to do, and no one was doing them. I always thought that someone else was in charge, but then I found out it's not hard to do it myself with a little help from my friends. You can, too!

j

janezee
janezee

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/18/2012, 12:35 pm

Glad you had a good time. Sounds like a fun event.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/18/2012, 3:49 pm

It's a good thing I already have the majority of seeds and starts I need for this year. Otherwise, I may have been silly enough to make the drive for the Green Elephant Plant & Seed Swap. I drove from Vancouver to Seattle last year to buy my kayak and never gave it a second thought. Well, not right away anyhow. Shocked
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down