Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
mulberry tree, need advice Toplef10mulberry tree, need advice 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

mulberry tree, need advice I22gcj10mulberry tree, need advice 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
mulberry tree, need advice Toplef10mulberry tree, need advice 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

mulberry tree, need advice I22gcj10mulberry tree, need advice 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 6:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 5:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:38 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 2:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 1:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 12:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 10:28 am

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 3:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/22/2024, 9:33 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 4:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 11:09 am

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 8:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 8:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 4:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 7:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 1:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 7:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 2:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 7:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 5:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 5:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 3:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 12:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 10:46 am

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 4:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 7:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 6:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 1:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

mulberry tree, need advice

+3
martha
walshevak
newstart
7 posters

Go down

mulberry tree, need advice Empty mulberry tree, need advice

Post  newstart 12/17/2011, 12:24 pm

I have what I belive to be mulberry trees near my back patio area. I did not know what kind of plant/tree it was so I have let them grow. Embarassed I think the birds dropped them off as a present Shocked

so the question is should I keep them or cut down? I have 4 growing. they are growing in pairs on each side of my back patio. I believe male and female if mulberry trees have male and female. One trees leaves is more rounded and the other leave fingered like. sorry if bad explanation. one pair is near my house maybe 2 feet away, will this cause problems in the long run? it is already taller than my house. If I cut them down then I could put in a nice bed there. This year there was a few berries but never became ripe.

Should I keep them or cut down? Anyone have a mulberry tree?
newstart
newstart

Female Posts : 335

Back to top Go down

mulberry tree, need advice Empty Re: mulberry tree, need advice

Post  walshevak 12/17/2011, 4:26 pm

I also had a volunteer mulberry tree. The berries made a good cobbler, but the purple bird droppings were a mess and my tree was away from my driveway and patio area. Had to remember to check the bottom of my shoes after walking in the grass under the tree.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 12/17/2011, 4:35 pm

walshevak

I am wondering how big was your tree? I have read that some type can get very tall and have lots of branches. I think the pair that is close to my house I will have to cut down this spring. I do not want the roots to mess up my house foundation or the branches to break a window during

a storm
newstart
newstart

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/17/2011, 4:43 pm

Tree was about 15ft tall and spread out all over the fence line and into both mine and my neighbor's yards when I moved. I don't know how old the tree was as I had rented the house out from 92-98. I moved permanently in 99, but that summer had some messy berries.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 12/17/2011, 4:52 pm

Thanks Kay, my tree now is over the roof line. so close to 15 feet aldready and around 3 years old. its a pretty tree but I think I ll take the pair closest to the house out. since its only 2 feet away from the house my other pair are a good 10 feet away. hmm what to do lol. well if I take the closet trees out it will give me some more space for a nice garden area:lol:
newstart
newstart

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 12/17/2011, 6:12 pm

newstart wrote: well if I take the closet trees out it will give me some more space for a nice garden area:lol:

Well, there's your answer!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 12/18/2011, 7:23 am

I don't think it's ever a good idea to keep any tree that is only 2 feet from the foundation. As the tree grows, you are inviting the roots to play around under your house and cause all sorts of damage that looks like "settling cracks" in your interior walls and even damage the foundation walls of your house.

Mulberry trees, can grow quite large, too. From the trees I see in St. Louis, they can have some really shallow running roots that continue to swell. Trees are constantly the cause of sidewalks heaved and cracked as the slabs are lifted by the roots....driveways, too. I have to constantly keep an eye out for these guys as I mow people's yards. Maple trees are notorious, too.

If it were me, I would take the thing down. If I still loved Mulberry trees, or any other fruiting ornamental, I would design a plan and place the tree where I wanted it. At least 20 feet away from the house and a ways away from the garden area I wanted, too. Those roots will find your beautiful soil super quick, too.

Here are a couple pics of some rather invasive Mulberries.....if you imagine them only 2 feet from your house.

mulberry tree, need advice Mulberry%20Tree%20(c)%20270106%20Photo%20by%20P%20McNamara

mulberry tree, need advice July52009BelgradetoBijeljina018_thum

mulberry tree, need advice 2240da

Here is a nice diagram showing the influence a tree's roots can have..

mulberry tree, need advice 31e_4

BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 12/18/2011, 8:17 am

well out they go. The second picture loos like my tree Shocked well they will come up this spring and in thier place a nice potatoe or herd bed will go Cool I will not feel too bad since the birds gave me these trees. Next time I will tell the birds to plant them somewhere else:x

thanks everyone
newstart
newstart

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 12/18/2011, 12:35 pm

we have one but its way out back along a fence line. the other half likes them so i tied a tarp to the fence and hammered a couple of 2x2's for the other corners and used a 10 foot peice of 3/4 inch pvc pipe to tap the branchs to drop the fruit on the tarp. she likes to make smoothes with them.

boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  B maier 12/21/2011, 9:10 am

Oh... you have a BIG problem if you want to get rid of them. I have a few on my fence line that we have cut down... they grow back from the roots just like a weed. You will have to watch it like a hawk to make sure it stays dead.

I have read about drilling a hole into the freshly cut stump putting a funnel in the hole it and filling it with weed killer... so the stump feeds the weed killer to the roots. But I haven't tried it (yet) and I'm not sure how that would work with a section of land you want to use to grow something on.
B maier
B maier

Female Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

mulberry tree, need advice Empty I got curious

Post  B maier 12/21/2011, 10:09 am

I found this page that has a girl that seems to know her stuff... something to try to avoid chemicals.

(I'm to new to post a link)

here is a copy & paste of the advice column ... written by Carol at a website called allexperts.

"Some tree anatomy background may help: Trees have three main anatomical parts--the bark, the cambian, and xylem, or true wood. The cambian is a narrow band of cells in the area between the bark and the xylem, and it is where the growth actually occurs. The mechanism to naturally kill weedy trees involves girdling the tree, or cutting off a strip of the bark and the cambian layer all the way around the tree's trunk. Cut a strip of bark off from around the tree, and then make sure to scrape the cambian layer. This will result in fewer sprouts than if you simply cut the tree down with a chainsaw, though by fall you will be able to do just that.

Now, during the summer, go out every two to three weeks with a set of good garden clippers and clip back all the sprouts. Also, if you missed any area of cambium in your girdling, the bark will begin growing back, so remove it and re-peal the cambium layer in any spot you missed.

In the fall, you can cut the trees down above the girdled line. Then next year, check for sprouts again, though usually they will be few and far between, as you have reduced the root's energy by keeping the sprouts regularly clipped off this year.

One option that may help reduce sprouting (it does with other weedy species that I know of) is to soak the wounds where you have clipped back sprouts each time you do it with some cheap white vinegar from the grocery store. Pouring it on the wounds of many weeds weakens the roots faster, thus reducing resprouting. I have never had the occassion to try it on Mulberry, but at a few dollars per gallon, its worth a shot, and it did help us control both thistle and ironwood tree sprouts."
B maier
B maier

Female Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 12/21/2011, 11:00 am

well thanks. I was just going to cut down and try to dig up the trunk and roots. I will start doing this. Then spring or summer dig up

just need to tell my wild birds to plant their seeds away from the house lol
newstart
newstart

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 12/21/2011, 11:53 am

Definitely need to control the stump. I didn't mention that, but it's important. I had a mulberry tree in a former backyard that was very old and already gone when we bought the house 12 years ago. About 2 years into the house, it decided to come back. It's now 25 feet tall and producing berries. It wasn't in a place to do any harm, so I intentionally let it come back. I was inspired by it's determination to be honest.

In my newer house, I have one I severely cut back last spring that is actually growing IN the chain link fence. It's going to be a much bigger challenge to control for me.

If you are afraid of chemicals, for about $50 a lot of tree companies will grind the stump for you if they are already in the neighborhood. If you aren't afraid of chemicals, drilling holes and RoundUp or stump killer will eventually do the trick. However, you won't get grass to grow in that spot for years, either.

One method I wouldn't recommend, but know works very well, is to drill holes and fill with lighter fluid. Drop match......burn baby burn. End of tree. Obviously, I can't recommend anyone try that method. But, what you do on your own time.....

I wish you luck in whichever decision you make.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 12/21/2011, 4:12 pm

One method I wouldn't recommend, but know works very well, is to drill holes and fill with lighter fluid. Drop match......burn baby burn. End of tree. Obviously, I can't recommend anyone try that method. But, what you do on your own time.....

been there got the scars to prove it Shocked my f-i-l hada couple of stumps he keeped hiting with his rider so me, dumbazz me got the idea ta drill a couple of holes on the top of the trunk an poured GAS Shocked in it. went ta light it an not only did the trail of gas to the stump catch on fire so did my hand.Embarassed but alas theres no more stumps.
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  newstart 12/21/2011, 4:24 pm

Well since its sooooo close to the house I think Ill pass on setting the tree on fire mulberry tree, need advice 889526 I don't think I could explain to my husband how I burnt down the house buy trying to get rid of a tree
newstart
newstart

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/21/2011, 5:27 pm

newstart wrote:Well since its sooooo close to the house I think Ill pass on setting the tree on fire mulberry tree, need advice 889526 I don't think I could explain to my husband how I burnt down the house buy trying to get rid of a tree
I think that would be something Hubby has learned to expect from me! silly me
GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down